Granrok's Guide to Noobies

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThePlumber

01-18-2010

Very good guide! Funny too, I lowelled.

Granrok

01-18-2010

Thanks. Just trying to get together a simple comprehensive guide made by the community for noobs.

JohnCataldo

01-18-2010

It's related to Don't Die, but I think the logic sometimes followed is a bit of self deception:

If you will definitely die trying to kill someone, even if you believe you will definitely kill them, RUN AWAY if you can live that way.

This is doubly true for new players. Assume the enemy has a trick! Assume enemy's buddies are right around the corner! They might have Summoner Heal, Cleanse, or Flash. They might have popped a health potion that will barely save them. Perhaps their Banshee's Veil is about to protect them again. Maybe enemy Ashe, nowhere near the fight, has an ultimate arrow coming from across the map.

Unless you are pretty sure that YOU WILL LIVE and that the enemy will die, chasing for kills is wrong most of the time.

Experienced players know this isn't always true, but they also know when the exceptions are, they know what tricks the enemy can pull because they know all of that player's abilities, summoner spells, and items, and they have map awareness so they know there's no more enemies around the corner, and the enemy doesn't have Ashe, Karthus, Gangplank or Twisted Fate to come hit you from across the map, etc. Until you have ALL of that down pat, the enemy has a trick you don't know about.

Granrok

01-18-2010

Added. Thanks John.

Mogri

01-18-2010

Might wanna add something about laning etiquette. In my first couple of games, I occasionally tried going mid after I got ganked in a different lane. Of course, the team carry got pissed and I didn't really understand why at the time.

Great guide.

Granrok

01-18-2010

Mogri - added. Thanks.

Kyuketsuki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-18-2010

18.) Pay attention to the time exlapsed in a map.
Has the game been going for 25+ minutes? Then you shouldn't be buying a Mejai's, Rod of Ages, Tear of the Goddess, or other time dependant items. You think you want to buy a 5 Gold per 10 second item, pay attention to the time again.

It costs 750 gold total to buy an avarice blade, to make up that gold purely with the passive of the item it takes 25 minutes
(750 gold / (5 gold)) = 150
(150*10 seconds) / (60 seconds/minute) = 25 mintues elapsed

So should you be buying that Philospher's Stone (which costs 1115) at 30+ minutes in knowing it will take until the 55 minute mark to make it up, short answer NO.

Kyuketsuki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-18-2010

19.) Summoner Abilities
Know what each one does and where to use it, these summoner spells decide fights just as much as the champions do.
Rally/Promote for team fights and tower pushes
Heal for saving/healing (well, duh)
Clarity for mana situations
Clairvoyance for checking if the neutral creeps have respawned, or where those MIA enemy champs may be hiding
Flash/Ghost for chasing/excape
Promote for protecting from a tower push
Teleport need to shop and get back quick, trying to backdoor, get to where the action is faster
Cleanse for removing debuffs like exhaust when your a DPS
Smite for making Annie/Shaco rage because you just shut down their ultimate, creep killing, or speeding up killing larger creeps
and Revive, hahahaha.... don't use revive (I have never seen it in pub play ever, I don't know about competitive play, but if you need "life insurance" go with a guardian angel)

Also don't think that these summoner abilities are only good for you.
this is a team game, you should be trying to fill each others weakenesses in both champions and summoner spells.

Granrok

01-18-2010

Kyuketsuki (I think I gamed with you just last night). Added. Thanks.