Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Granrok's Guide to Noobies

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Granrok

01-16-2010

I haven't played this game long, and thus I am not an expert. That said I can provide you noobies with a bit of advice from a perspective almost as fresh as your own to the game. This may sound counter productive but I have found that often times in gaming when asking an expert for advice they are now so advanced at the game that they cannot offer anything beyond really in depth tactics or they simply don't have time for you. So here we go.

1) DON'T DIE - You will hear lots of people say this, and frankly it seems so obvious as to border on insulting, but seriously, DON'T DIE. Every single time you do you help the enemy. There are instances where your death MIGHT help your team more, but you are too new to recognize those, so as a rule of thumb, just don't.

(John Cataldo!)
If you will definitely die trying to kill someone, even if you believe you will definitely kill them, RUN AWAY if you can live that way.

This is doubly true for new players. Assume the enemy has a trick! Assume enemy's buddies are right around the corner! They might have Summoner Heal, Cleanse, or Flash. They might have popped a health potion that will barely save them. Perhaps their Banshee's Veil is about to protect them again. Maybe enemy Ashe, nowhere near the fight, has an ultimate arrow coming from across the map.

Unless you are pretty sure that YOU WILL LIVE and that the enemy will die, chasing for kills is wrong most of the time.

Experienced players know this isn't always true, but they also know when the exceptions are, they know what tricks the enemy can pull because they know all of that player's abilities, summoner spells, and items, and they have map awareness so they know there's no more enemies around the corner, and the enemy doesn't have Ashe, Karthus, Gangplank or Twisted Fate to come hit you from across the map, etc. Until you have ALL of that down pat, the enemy has a trick you don't know about.

2) DON'T BE GREEDY - Greed in LoL can come in many forms, the most dangerous being the desire to kill that Legend that is almost dead and with just a little more effort, a little more chase, you just know you can get him! You can't, Knock it off. He is running away because right around the corner he has an army of nice fresh face humping Legends all just waiting to kill you. Don't be Greedy.

3) DON'T BE COCKY OR PROUD - You just started playing, thus you ARE a noob. If someone calls you that it is both a rip and a fact. Face it. That said you need to stfu and listen, Period. Are people ****s? Yes. Are they rude? Of course. This is the interwebs afterall, a land just seething with jackoffs and *******s - and each of them got here before you did. What does that mean? It means behind every hate filled comment thrown your way from "STOP DYING YOU HAPLESS ******!" to "Please, for the sake of us all, uninstall LoL, grab yourself a large magnet, run it over the top of your computer, and take up knitting!" is a bit of truth and a lesson. Why is this person so pissed at you? FIGURE THAT OUT and stop arguing with them. Yes, they are rude, but they are also taking a small amount of time out of their blood soaked schedule to rip you a new one - something inspired them to do so.

4) READ THE GUIDES - There is a load of great information in the guides. Recently I duped a friend of mine into playing who found Cho-Gath to be totally intriguing so what did he do? He read the forum based guides, lots of them. He wrote stuff down, like his build and buy orders. He followed the footsteps of those before him. Was he a trailbreaker? Nope, and neither are you Magellan. When you get some experience wedged under your muffin topped belt then you can start discovering the new world and writing your guides - until then READ and LEARN.

5) PARTICIPATE IN THE COMMUNITY - The wasteland that is the forums can be a great source of knowledge. Can people be ****s? Oh yeah. That said there are several people out that that are both knowledgeable and helpful. Wonder about some gear, search the forums FIRST and then if you don't find your answer, ASK IT. I hate it when I see people post the same ****ed thing 9 times in a row when all they had to do is scroll down a little or use the ****ed search built in. Unlike Blizzard's forums, search on the LoL forums actually works. USE IT.

6) KNOW YOUR ROLE - Are you playing a tank character? Then be one. If you wanted to be a dps, don't try to bend your toon into one - pick one from the start. When other people are constantly yelling at you for how you are playing your toon do not take the I know better perspective. MAYBE THEY ARE TRYING TO TELL YOU SOMETHING.

7) PRACTICE - Thats right, instead of jumping into ranked games with both feet, as I did (still sorry for that guys), try playing practice games. You can play solo practice games, and you can play for fun games with others. This is the perfect way to learn how to play in general and how to play toons that you haven't played before.

8) READ THE RELEASE NOTES - They write them for a reason. A new patch comes out, if you didn't read it you won't know that they nerfed your KILL EVERY GOD ****ED PERSON ON THE MAP skill down to GIVE EVERY SINGLE GOD ****ED PERSON ON THE MAP A FLOWER. It is your fault if you don't know what they changed - not theirs. They tried to tell you, you just ignored them.

9) PAY ATTENTION AT THE LOAD SCREENS - Who are you playing with? What toons did they pick? Should you pick something different? Are there any tanks? Casters? DPSers? TALK TO YOUR TEAM AT THAT POINT. Establish who lanes where - get this figured out BEFORE THE GAME STARTS. CAPS! At the team vs team screen pay attention to who you are facing. Do they have Eve? Be prepared to see an early gank. Giant Steam Rolling Goliath? Be prepared to get grabbed and pummeled. PAY ATTENTION.

10) KNOW THE GEAR - This goes with learning. Gear is almost everything in this game. Don't believe me? Try playing an entire game without buying any at all. Not easy is it? So read your stats, how they increase with level, abilities and see what gear goes with them. Pay attention to the other team. Caster heaver? Get anti magic stuff. Melee heavy? Get some armor. Always get boots of some kind. Chances are you will need to get something that gives you health back. MAKE A LIST before you start the game, include order, costs, and prerequisites.

11) HAVE FUN - This is a GAME. Enjoy it. Try to have fun. Realize that and also realize that you are directly impacting other people's fun as well. If you are a ******bag remember this - you are playing a game on the interweb that has a forum. The bigger the ******bag you are the more likely you are to find a post about you on the forums. True or not, its now there, for eternity, for everyone to read. Its better to follow the basic rules laid out here than pick fights with someone who may be a better forum troll than you.

(12-14 per Boni. Thanks!)
12) LISTEN TO ADVICE - 90% of the people that tell you to do something actually want to help you. (And probably know it better. Probably.)

13) FOLLOW THE LEADER - If somebody pings dragon and you're around (bottom lane), he probably wants you to help him kill it. If somebody pings a position and tells you an enemy is there, he probably wants you to either be careful or go there with him to kill it. If somebody tries to organize and coordinate your team, and I can't stress this enough, follow him and work as a team instead of running off doing your own thing and die. (Except if you already work as a team, and run to the near Lizard to quickly get the buff - but only do this when you KNOW your team wont need you in the next minute.

14) GET BUFFS - Lizard, Golem, Dragon, Nashor. Get these! Also, let your casters get the golem, and the DPS Lizard. Karthus with Lizard, or Tryndamere with Golem? Not that wise. Also help your weaker champs killing them. Every Kayle will love you if you help him killing Golem quickly. (And don't steal it in the progress, so watch out when you hit.) If you are in the middle of getting a buff and your teammate is getting ganked in the lane right next to you and they start pinging for help, stop fighting the golem, dragon, lizard, and go help them. You getting the buff is far less valuable than saving your teammate. (TiredDaemon)

(Khimaera)
15) MINI MAP AWARENESS - In the bottom right hand corner of your interface is a mini map of the game. You need to glance at this as often as possible without being mindlessly transfixed by it. Be MAP AWARE. This means that you need to see where things are including your team, the other team, the creeps, the towers as well as the jungling creeps. Being map aware will save you more times than not and will also reduce the need you will have to yell at your teammates for not telling you that someone is MIA.

16) CALL MIA - If you are in a lane with an opponent, and suddenly they disappear, take 2 seconds to type in the lane name and MIA (missing in action.) Example: TOP MIA. If you are a really fast typist, as almost all of you are, try the actual toon name such as "TWITCH MIA" - Especially if it is Twitch who is MIA.

(Per Mogri)
17) LANE ETIQUETTE - As stated before, in the startup screen take some time to determine with your team who will lane where. In game try sticking to this. If you have an issue, such as a serious mismatch, let your team know. If you need to leave your lane, let your team know. If you want to go to another lane, for say a gank fest on their team's Carry, LET YOUR TEAM KNOW. If you plan to go to another lane and your teammate doesn't want you there, ask why. Don't argue, LEARN.

Example: ASHEs love to lane alone. There is a good reason for this. LEARN THAT REASON.

(Per Fishy)
Solo laning: It's not a big deal. Stop worrying about the I called solo BS. Get a couple of levels and go jungle if you must. There is plenty of gold and exp to be had. Screaming at someone to get out of your lane is just idiotic. Its much better to lane with someone rather than have teammates who never respond to calls for help or check the mini-map. If you get suppressed in your lane soloing it means you will have a hard time getting enough gold for items. You might be forced to go heal or even die. So don't worry about laning with a teammate.

(Per Kyuketsuki)
18) PAY ATTENTION TO GAME TIME - Pay attention to the time elapsed in a map.
Has the game been going for 25+ minutes? Then you shouldn't be buying a Mejai's, Rod of Ages, Tear of the Goddess, or other time dependant items. You think you want to buy a 5 Gold per 10 second item, pay attention to the time again.

It costs 750 gold total to buy an avarice blade, to make up that gold purely with the passive of the item it takes 25 minutes
(750 gold / (5 gold)) = 150
(150*10 seconds) / (60 seconds/minute) = 25 mintues elapsed

So should you be buying that Philospher's Stone (which costs 1115) at 30+ minutes in knowing it will take until the 55 minute mark to make it up, short answer NO.

19) KNOW EACH SUMMONER ABILITY AND WHEN TO USE IT - Summoner spells decide fights just as much as the champions do.
a) Rally/Promote for team fights and tower pushes
b) Heal for saving/healing (well, duh)
c) Clarity for mana situations
d) Clairvoyance for checking if the neutral creeps have respawned, or where those MIA enemy champs may be hiding
e) Flash/Ghost for chasing/excape
f) Promote for protecting from a tower push
g) Teleport need to shop and get back quick, trying to backdoor, get to where the action is faster
h) Cleanse for removing debuffs like exhaust when your a DPS
i) Smite for making Annie/Shaco rage because you just shut down their ultimate, creep killing, or speeding up killing larger creeps
j) Revive, hahahaha.... don't use revive (I have never seen it in pub play ever, I don't know about competitive play, but if you need "life insurance" go with a guardian angel)

Also don't think that these summoner abilities are only good for you.
this is a team game, you should be trying to fill each others weakenesses in both champions and summoner spells.

(Per falcoBoat)
20) LEARN HOW EACH HERO WILL KILL/SAVE YOU
It cannot be stressed enough how important learning each of the heroes' abilities is. Learn how to analyze your death. How were you killed? Mouse over an enemy champion's items. Watch what they are up to:

-The big rusty ****ing robot just grabbed your ass with his ****ing fist from a bush??! Looked like it traveled in a line like Pudge's hook....best be avoiding him or standing with something in the way!
-That little girl just burnt my face off! Very quickly! Owww!

(Per Fishy)
21) Checking the brush. Its a good idea to check the brush. People hide there to prepare for a gank. Even at level 1 this happens a lot. So either check the brush yourself, or at least support your teammate if he is fighting in the brush. If there are 2 enemy champions in hiding in the brush, they are not there to play nice. They are there getting ready to gank you and your teammate. So go help out, even if its to auto attack.

22) As a general rule, DON'T push into the enemy base if all 5 of their heroes are there defending. This is especially true if you've already tried it 3 times unsuccessfully each time resulting in your teammates dying or your whole team getting wiped out. It is so frustrating spending all night losing games cause someone keeps leading the team into the base for a wipe. Even if there are 3 defending it will be tough because they can always fall back to get healed at their spawn. You cannot circle around to gank them. Chasing them into their base will most likely get you killed.

Please add to the list.

(Updated Title)

Granrok

boni

01-16-2010

I think I've already read 1-2 posts like this on the forum. Don't know why none got stickied. Still, good post. +1

12) Listen to Advice - 90% of the people that tell you to do something actually want to help you. (And probably know it better. Probably.)

13) Follow the Leader - If somebody pings dragon and you're around (bottom lane), he probably wants you to help him kill it. If somebody pings a position and tells you an enemy is there, he probably wants you to either be careful or go there with him to kill it. If somebody tries to organize and coordinate your team, and I can't stress this enough, follow him and work as a team instead of running off doing your own thing and die. (Except if you already work as a team, and run to the near Lizard to quickly get the buff - but only do this when you KNOW your team wont need you in the next minute.

14) Get Buffs - Lizard, Golem, Dragon, Nashor. Get these! Also, let your casters get the golem, and the DPS Lizard. Karthus with Lizard, or Tryndamere with Golem? Not that wise. Also help your weaker champs killing them. Every Kayle will love you if you help him killing Golem quickly. (And don't steal it in the progress, so watch out when you hit.)

ChocoKitten

01-16-2010

i like this... however no new person is gonna take a load of nonsense yelling and just get better for the team... To them its much more logical to ruin the game entirely if someone is being a jerk so that someone that rage filled doesn't get to enjoy winning.

Get more bees with honey than vinegar eh?

Choco

And i will say the single best thing for new people to practice is ' not dieing' helps tons!

Raging will not ever, ever, ever, ever make your game go better. Only thing it can do is make it worse by having your team turn against you.

Korath Arcolite

01-16-2010

Good advice!
When I was new I'd get people raging all the time. I'd usually ask for advice on items or tactics and I read guides constantly, always looking for new tips and trying different builds.
I also try and communicate with my team as much as possible. At my level of play (low lvl) people rarely get buffs like nashor, but the last two games I've won I pushed my team to get him and we steam rolled right after on to victory.
Also, if you play a couple different heroes, know their roles!! If you see all of your allies taking glass cannons, maybe take a tank or a support and keep them alive instead of grabbing your favorite DPS character and trying to be a 5th Carry. This is a team game and the faster you play like it is, the fast you'll start winning games

Granrok

01-16-2010

Choco - totally agree.. tragically it is what you get more often times that not, I am merely suggesting one try to take in objectively.

TiredDaemon

The Council

01-16-2010

Corollary to rule 12, GET BUFFS: If you are in the middle of getting a buff and your teammate is getting ganked in the lane right next to you and they start pinging for help, stop fighting the golem, dragon, lizard, and go help them. You getting the buff is far less valuable than saving your teammate.

Granrok

01-17-2010

Added, thx, more?

Shatterlight

01-17-2010

Every other newbie guide includes something about map awareness. IE, if you get ganked, don't cry that nobody said mia. It is largely your own fault for not flicking your eyes down for two seconds.

I like this guide though because it is clear, and not as cumbersome as some others. You may choose to leave this out. (On that note, I'd have left out buffs. A newbie is usually likely to just hand the buff over to the enemy :P)

Granrok

01-17-2010

Added Khimaera. Thx. More?

Granrok

01-18-2010

Changed the title to make it more generic as other's have now included their thoughts. if you have some please post them and I will add them. Remember - this is for noobs, but also for you expert players who are teamed up with them.