"Fail" Morde Build or no?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Draehl

01-27-2011

So I just finished a game. MF, Twitch, Teemo, and a brand new Ryze player on my end, Rammus, Mundo, Veigar, Pantheon, LeBlanc on the other team. All game long they kept criticizing me for having a terrible build, but I felt there were several extenuating circumstances...

FoN
Abyssal Scepter
Randuins
Sunfire
Sorc's Boots
Open Slot

1) Normally the laning phase lasts much, much longer than it did in this game. I tend to push Heart of Gold and Kage's Lucky Pendant both pretty early to help with the gold income overall, and Kage's certainly helps a bit with farming. When the other team stopped laning and started ganking I still had these items and only had one tank item (Abyssal) Naturally you can see how I start with AP and gold items earlier to assist in farming, then start moving into the tank items. Didn't get a chance to reach Randuins before the ganking began (normally Randuins + Abyssal have both been acquired well before anything but overextended kills really occur )

2) Couldn't generate much shield. I melted like a stick up butter because when I'd initiate I'd get 1-2 skills off then between Taunt, Event Horizon stun, Aegis of Zeonia stun, and Sigil of Silence. If you can't cast you can't create shield, you can't tank.

I'll certainly admit I could have made a couple of smarter moves that game, but overall I feel the build is acceptable given the regular laning phase duration and the lack of shield generation due to large amount of CC made is exceptionally difficult to survive as Morde against that team comp.

Thoughts?

PaTÇH

01-27-2011

I'm not a great morde player but this is my opinion.... everything seems great with ur build. Tbh only thing id change is change sun fire to thornmail... would hurt pantheon a lot if he's hitting u.. and since they have a lot off CC on their. Team chance sorc boots to merc tread... like u said if ur CCed the whole time u can't do anything..... have some spell pen runes... oh and add rylias... the health. Slow and AP helps a ton...

PaTÇH

01-27-2011

Just a note.... the advice I just gave was towards the comp he played against and just saying the people he played against had half a brain....

Redenbacher

01-27-2011

With that much CC on the team, I would have opted for Banshee's Veil or QSS over FoN. Other than that, the build looks fine for what you were dealing with. I also would have opted for Rylai's instead of Sunfire first, and filled the remaining slot with Sunfire afterwards.

Morde... can't really 'initiate', and he's also not a tank. ESPECIALLY compared to Rammus on the other team. Your team lost at the loading screen, and sometimes you just can't help that. You had 3 carries on your team, 1 squishy support DPS, and yourself. You had no CC minus Teemo's blind and Ryze's snare (where they can still cast/attack from). The game was decided as soon as the champions were locked in.

Prometheius

01-27-2011

You shouldn't have been trying to tank. You should have been focusing on damage.

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2011

I say the biggest mistake is the sorc boot.

Boots are situational and if the other team has heavy CC then a merc boot is almost mandatory unless you have other stuff like QSS and cleanse.

Btw, having that creeping death on cloaked twitch would have been funny.

Speaker Rob

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2011

Mordekaiser is an excellent tank, anyone that tells you otherwise has no first-hand experience with him or just didn't fare very well at playing him. With that being said, he plays quite different from the way a tank usually does, so if you ignore his quirks you are going to end up mediocre or worst.

To make this short, basically Morde's strength comes from his ability to negate damage with his shield, make a 5v5 a 6v4 and hp regeneration. In regards to his shield it's all about magic penetration and landing nice siphons to charge your shield to the max with one shot. I usually build defense first on my Morde with a defensive/offensive item around lv10 (like abysmal scepter). Thornmail is nice to add to FoN so you can tank towers.

I usually forgo the Sunfire Cape for more magic penetration or hp regain and started recently switching my Rylai's for a Frozen Mallet. Having a ghost that can slow people is great, especially with a fast yi ghost or a ranged carry ghost. Randuin's is another damage mitigation item that I like, I've stopped using it for a while but I think I'll try it out again soon. I've been keeping it out of my build due to the lack of attack speed champs I've been facing.

If you are having trouble being that unstoppable force for your team then it might be do to you not going mid or solo in your lane. Morde absolutely needs to solo and out level the other champs early on. He is so weak in comparison at the early levels that getting those extra one or two levels/items will put your team's initiative back ahead. However he is a very poor initiator and I find that I'm very dependent on my team for CC to get the fights started face-to-face.