Help w Rammus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrToasty

06-13-2010

Lately I've seen some amazing Rammus players who absolutely are near impossible to kill and survive through almost any encounter. This is at beg, mid, and end game that I've witnessed this.

However, when I try to play Rammus, I end up feeding. I'm spec'd 9/21/0 and sometimes 0/21/9. For skills I normally get 1 in Powerball, then feed the rest evenly between the taunt and "I want to LIVE!" shell.

What items should I be getting in order and how do you use your spells in combat? I'm failing horribly, help!

True Bandito

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2010

Make sure you focus on HP items early on. If you are not doing well in money, get Heart of Gold. If you are doing well in money, get Giant's Belt and then turn it into a Sunfire Cape. Alternatively, grab a Catalyst if they have a lot of casters, so you can turn it into a Banshee' Veil later on.

Note: Warmogs is not worth it. Never consider that item.

Rammus does badly against a caster heavy team, especially if they have Deathfire Grasp. In that case, make sure you are not targetted first or make sure that your attacks will surprise them. Flashing into their middle or rolling in from behind is better than going in first, take all the nukes and be useless for the rest of the fight due to low HP.

Figure out which caster (physical DPS should not cause you much trouble due to your high armor and DBC) is causing you most trouble and focus on taunting him first in big fights (Flash or Ghost will help you reach them). Once you are in his face, he just might lose his head and do mistakes.

If you run pre-made teams make sure you have a healer buddy with you. That makes your laning phase and 5v5 fights A LOT easier.

Finally, whenever you guys engage, memorize an escape route should you need to retreat. Remember which walls you need to flash over or which is the shortest route to your nearest tower. Too many times people lose their head and run into the enemy towers or creeps.

PS: Master the use of Cleanse against snares/stuns/fears as well as damage over time spells such as Ignites and poisons..

siglud

06-13-2010

I usually go with Doran's shield first off as my comment, I dislike heart of gold honestly, I dont get it early if i do at all

Get Sunfire cape ASAP i cannot emphasis the importance of this, rammus has a hard time farming gold and sunfire cape helps immensely with this, usually after i get this I swing by the 4 jungle creeps that our grouped up in order to get some quick kills (use W ability to kill them even quicker since it has reflection damage properties) I consider this still most important item even if they have alot of casters just for farming potential.

My masteries are 0/21/9 I go 9 utility because the HP mana regen is nice, but most importantly because I use ghost and get that +greed gold is again useful on such a difficult farmer, I also think unless your a mage going for 15% magic penetration buff it's not worth going into offensive unless you go all the way.

also runes are helpful i go HP everything exept dodge seals (that way dodge abilities in def masteries are even better) which is why i go with those def boots (forget the name) but if your not into dodge, go mercury treads.

Garborg

06-13-2010

My tip for rammus...

Get rid of all dodge runes and masteries. Your damage comes from people hitting you. Use those runes for more armor.

Items I normally get:
1. Cloth Armor + 5 heal pots
2. First time back Turtle Shell and 1st boots
3/4. Thornmail and Boots of mobility
5. Sunfire or MR (Aegis / Force of Nature / Guardian Angel) if heavy Magic, depending on situation

Tibberton

06-13-2010

Can't say that I agree with much of what's posted above.

Just to counter some points...

1. I read somewhere that DBC still returns damage on dodge, I believe this was tested in one of the Rammus guides. At the moment, I'm having trouble finding it and I leave for work in ten minutes. Once I do, I'll come back and post here. Regardless, the point isn't *to do damage*... the point is *to survive.* Dodge helps with this. Also, dodge gives you nimbleness (from the defensive mastery tree), which increases your movement speed for a short time. Remember - you are SLOW outside of powerball.

2. The true point of Heart of Gold isn't that it gives you gold over time. The true point of Heart of Gold isn't that it gives you a small amount of armor and health, which you would have wanted anyways. The true point of Heart of Gold is that it builds into Randuin's Omen... which may as well be called Rammus' Omen.

3. Greed is not a good investment. 1 gold every 10 seconds = 6 gold a minute = 360 gold if the game lasts an hour. I've been trying greed out recently to test it, and it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. Most games are over by the 35ish minute mark, so you aren't getting anywhere close to 360 gold.

4. Don't always rush sunfire cape. Sometimes it's a good idea. Sometimes it's not.

Now to answer your question, with Rammus it all depends on the other team's composition. The only static things for me recently have been:

Start: Doran's Shield + 1 HP Pot
First trip: Heart of Gold and Boots 1
Towards the beginning of the game: Chalice of Harmony (no mana issues ever, slight MR, golem can go to a DPS)
Mid-to-end-game: Randuin's Omen (game changing in late team fights)

Everything after that is completely situational. You have to look at the other team. More importantly, you have to look at how they are building their champions. Don't assume that a particular champ is going AD or AP, just because that's how you almost always see them played. Actually look at the item builds going against you.

Heavy physical teams are well countered by: Ninja Tabi, Thornmail, Sunfire Cape, etc.

Heavy caster teams are well countered by: Mercury Treads, Force of Nature, etc.

Balanced teams (most of what you will face): Aegis of the Legion, Guardian Angel

If you are dying easily as Rammus, the only thing I can say is that you are not building to counter the other team.

Good luck!

KarmaBites

06-13-2010

One of the major keys to doing well with Rammus is playing with friends. If you have two other friends with you in a game it is easy to help your friends get fed, who in turn will help you get fed. A big part of doing well with him is having competent players on your team who are willing to go in when you powerball, taunt, defensive ball curl, ult, randiun's. . . combo style.

A few other things that can help.
Rammus is not a strong laner, unless the other team is slightly incompetent in which case powerball + taunt will net you and your lane partner many kills before the 6 minute mark. That being said, he can be a powerful jungler early on, especially if someone helps you grab the golem buff. Don't stay in the jungle past level 5 though or you will slowly start falling behind in levels.
Have a friend help you grab golem buff.

Khaztr

06-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibberton View Post
If you are dying easily as Rammus, the only thing I can say is that you are not building to counter the other team.

Good luck!
Actually, I think it's likely that his problem is that he's overextending and depending too much on DBC. At least that's what my problem was when I first started playing Rammus. I thought I could save everyone on my team no matter the circumstance. Haha, silly me.

So my point is, watch out for silence and spells that will go through your shield . Also make sure you cast it in time, usually right after you initiate with a Powerball. If you get silenced while in PB mode, sometimes it's best to back off until it wears off (or cleanse it).

With more true damage abilities coming around, also keep in mind who has those and plan accordingly.

As for your build... I think it's pointless to give any concrete adivce as it all depends on your playstyle. I will say that Sunfire Capes are better soon than later, though I rarely end up using them (not sure why, maybe I should more often). Thornmail is great early to late game against fast hitters like Warwick.

But if you're like me, you'll like taking advantage of his ability to take down turrets with AP. If so, you'll have to find good AP items that work for him and avoid the ones that do him no good. I've taken a new liking to the Hextech Revolver as it beefs up your ult as well as let's you get a decent amount of life from using it depending on the number of minions around.

You also might want at least 1 mana regen item or always keep a mana pot or 2 in your inventory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrToasty View Post
how do you use your spells in combat? I'm failing horribly, help!
So in response to this question, usually my plan of attack is:

1)PB into your enemy, trying to nudge them in the opposite direction of where you think they will try to run

2)Taunt + DBC (hard to say which comes first): if you nudged them in the opposite direction of where they try to run, then you should be safe to DBC first; the last thing you want is for them to get away before you have a chance to Taunt; however, if you're PBing into a group of enemies, it's probably best to always use DBC first

3)Ult + move + attack: If you landed your taunt, your job now is to either pull them into range of your turrets or teammates OR pull them away from the direction they will likely run for safety; make sure to hit them, then move, then hit, then move toward the direction where they're running (if they're running at all) and follow them with your Ult

4)Repeat steps 1 and 2 as needed (and if you have enough CDR, you can do step 3 again in less than 40 seconds!)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that taunt might not be viable until later levels because of its extremely short duration, so you might only want to use it at first to stop channeling or to get an enemy to hit you near a friendly turret

Louise

06-13-2010

rammus is way too easy to pick on early. i make force of nature my first item, it sets you up for the rest of the game.

other than that it's mostly HP items, armor items is a pitfall with your passive. you're not DPS. you're there to soak damage, get in and get your taunt and pull someone out to die helplessly to your team.

stack items that help you live above all else.

Force of Nature
Mercury Treads
Randuin's Omen
Sunfire Cape
Guardian Angel
Frozen Heart

Recently

06-13-2010

Max Powerball first. DBC damage really is negligable, when you taunt and force them to attack even with maxed out taunt they will hit you like 3 times. Max out powerball and taunt, while just getting 1 point in DBC for its use as a defensive boost.

Rammus needs to farm a sunfire asap. Leveling Powerball helps ganks and also can be used to farm.

Spell order is Powerball > Taunt > ultimate > dbc. Note that if you DBC, you will not be able to powerball as long as DBC effect remains.

What items you get really depends on what kind of team you're facing, but I will always get at least 1 sunfire cape, otherwise you will fall behind when it comes to farming mid game.

Adorno

06-14-2010

You need Hp regen early on to stay in lane and get buffed. It is a bit unorthodox, but I love to use the Strength of Spirit mastery in the defense tree and catalyst or (usuallY) Tear of the Goddess. It let's you spam skills all day long, and gives you a good amount of HP regen. Probably not recommended for really high level play where laning is shorter, but I assume you're not really high level...and I have tons of fun w/it playing with people around 400 wins and a 60/40 WL record.

The benefit of a mana item is that it fixes all of his farming problems long before you could buy a Sunfire cape (which isn't a bad item, just not mandatory). All of his skills help farm, and used together he is a great farmer. Use his ult for big waves, and charge into a creep wave first and hit defensive ball curl to deal some aoe to the wave. His roll can either be popped in the middle of a bunch of damaged creeps to turn them into gold, or you can use it to harrass and zone (by dashing at people to intimidate them) and still farm with it if no opportunities to attack present themselves. If you have plenty of mana, you don't have to conserve your skills as carefully.

Everyone else is right about getting HP early, one way or another. Get HP items based on the enemy team damage composition.