Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Bots in Dom: An Attempt to get answers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Koravel

08-04-2014

They've just failed to actually do anything about the problem for nine months, ZallKlos. I doubt they have anyone working on it, or they are incapable of stopping it.

KaWraith

08-04-2014

Quote:
Koravel:
They've just failed to actually do anything about the problem for nine months, ZallKlos. I doubt they have anyone working on it, or they are incapable of stopping it.

AFAIK, usually companies (like say blizzard) like to drop a gigantic hammer on this stuff all at once, seemingly out of nowhere. they mass perma ban as many disparate offenders as possible all at once to cause massive disruption, and do so with very little information on the specifics. This helps stop the back and forth of one type of bot getting caught at a time, and people finding/developing new scams every other week.

Of course, it has been about a year since this all started (I know it was ongoing for quite a while before my post that MWAB responded to)... So even if they are following a carefully laid out plan, I think they have dropped the ball quite a bit on it.

I don't remember any official word about the custom games botting until they announced the rules change to remove IP that lead to this problem in the first place.

KaWraith

08-04-2014

Quote:
xShiroix:
Hey, all.

You're right. Bots have been a growing plague, especially in Dominion. It's something we've been working on for a while, but it's been a complex issue. Botting is like a hydra - cut off one head and two more spawn in its place. Recently, it's become clear to us that in order to tackle this issue, we have to get at the root cause, rather than just attacking the bots. Simply banning/deleting bots would be akin to cutting off a hydra's head, and we need to sear the stump so it can't regrow. We need to address the motivation for botting and punish the beneficiaries, not just the bots.

I'm sure you guys can understand that the more we talk about our plans in detail, the easier it is for botters to "level up" their game as well. So, even though we can't share our specific plans, please be assured that we are taking this seriously, and we're aggressively working toward slaying this beast.

Seems I was a bit behind the 8 ball here: Looks like Riot is intending what I was thinking... again, it's a day (Year?) late, and might be a dollar (or a million dollars...) short. Better than the nothing we had to go on though.