Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[August MCCC] The Rework Lab

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MiaoLong

08-01-2014

Do not post here to advertise champions.

Welcome to August's Monthly Champion Creation Contest.
This is a monthly contest to see who can create the most complete and most compelling champion concept within a given set of parameters.

Schedule

Quote:

Weeks 1 ~ 2 (August 1st – August 14th) Concept: Entrants must create the basics of the basics-- some description of their abilities, and their Lore.
Week 2 Special Challenge: The special bonus task for week 2 is revealed. Bonus task will be set up in a separate thread. Bonus tasks are optional and offer minimal advantages to the winner.

Week 3(August 17th - 24th) Stats: 
Contestants must develop base stats and stats related to their abilities during this week. 

Week 4 (August 25th -30th): Judging

The Rework Lab

Quote:
Reworking a champion, fixing their rought spots and eliminating toxic elements while maintaining the charm and allure of their original design is one of the hardest things to do as a designer. So we're going to be doing just that on most of the champions priced 4800IP and below. Rework a champion from the list below that I provided. Gooooo.

The LIST
Quote:
This list is final. If I missed a champion or misplaced them, tough.

4800 "Legendary" Champions

4800 champions are the most developed of the pool of champions that we will be working with today. Most of them are healthy, robust champions with full lores and well rounded kits. Thus, these will be the most difficult champions to come up with a decent rework for. As such, the requirements for a 4800 champion rework are as such:

* You must expand on the champion's lore with a short story or narrative at the least.
* You must maintain the same amounts and types of CC. (I.e, Kayle has 1 slow, Annie has 1 stun, Malzahar has 1 silence and 1 supression)
* You must maintain the same number and type of directly scaling abilities. (I.e, Lucian has one ability that scales off of AD only, one ability that scales off of AP and AD, and one ability tha scales off of AP, AD, and Attack Speed. Reworked Lucian must have the same.)

Quote:

Brand - must deal %hp over time

Caitlyn - must have a blockable projectie
Cassiopeia - must have an expanding AoE

Ezreal - must be have 3 skillshots in kit

Fizz - must be able to go untargetable

Galio - must have an AoE taunt
Graves - must deal more damage the closer you are

Irelia - must have bonus tenacity

Jarvan IV - must be able to create an arena terrain

Kennen - must have an AOE ultimate
Kog'Maw - must have at least one ability with over 1500 range

Lee Sin - 3/4 abilities must have separate halves
Leona - must have passthrough dash (dash hits on last enemy struck)

Malzahar - must be able to spread a DoT
Maokai - must be able to reduce damage to allies

Nocturne - must be able to reduce the vision of enemies

Orianna - all abilities must be AoE

Renekton - must have enhanced abilities
Riven - must have a 1 use secondary utimate
Rumble - must use heat

Shyvana - must be able to transform
Skarner - must be able to hook an enemy
Swain - must be able to AoE heal

Talon - must have a stealth ultimate
Trundle - must be able to create a pillar terrain

Vayne - must be able to gain vision through brush
Vladimir - must be able to enhance damage to enemies

Wukong - must be able to clone

Yorick - must be able to summon uncontrollable allied ghouls

Xerath has been removed from the 4800 list due to his recent rework

3150 "Epic" Champions

3150 champions are somewhat older than 4800 champions, and therefore have more rough edges that can be worked with for a decent amount of rework. As such, their requirements are slightly stricter:

* You must rewrite the champion's lore.
* You must maintain the same amounts and types of CC. (I.e, Kayle has 1 slow, Annie has 1 stun, Malzahar has 1 silence and 1 supression)
* You must maintain the same number and type of directly scaling abilities. (I.e, Lucian has one ability that scales off of AD only, one ability that scales off of AP and AD, and one ability tha scales off of AP, AD, and Attack Speed. Reworked Lucian must have the same.)

Quote:

Akali - must have more than 3 dashes
Anivia - must be able to create a wall terrain

Blitzcrank - must be able to pull

Corki - must be able to shred armor

Gangplank - must be able to cleanse CC

Karthus - must be able to shortly go invulnerable

LeBlanc - must be able to mimic abilities
Lux - must have an ability with over 3000 range

Miss Fortune - must be able to use enemy minions against enemies
Mordekaiser - abilities must generate resources

Olaf - must be able to ignore CC

Pantheon - must be able to teleport over 3000 range

Rammus - OK

Shaco - must be able to lay traps
Shen - must be able to teleport with global range

Twitch - must have an AoE autoattack

Urgot - must have a lock-on ability

Gragas, Heimerdinger, Kassadin, Karma, Katarina, and Sona have been removed from the 3150 list due to their recent reworks

1350 and 450 "Heroic" Champions

These champions are some of the oldest ever designed-- some beginning with the closed beta. As such, they are the easiest to rework and thus have the strictest requirements for this contest's purposes.

* You must rewrite the champion's lore.
* You must maintain the same number of mobility buffs, dashes, blinks, and teleports in the kit. (I.e, Twisted Fate has 1 teleport, Master Yi has 1 dash and 1 speed buff, Malphite has 1 speed buff and 1 dash.)

Quote:

1350 Champions

Alistar - Must have a Combo ability
Amumu - Must have an ability that benefits from being autoattacked

Cho'Gath - Must benefit from kill

Dr. Mundo - Must have 2 health regeneration abilities/passives

Fiddlesticks - Must be able to terrify (fear away from champion)

Janna - Must have a chargeble ability
Jax - Must have an autoattack enhancement

Malphite - Must have an AoE knockup
Morgana - Must be able to shield magic damage

Nasus - Must have a stacking mechanism

Singed - Must have a trail AoE
Sion - Yo I don't know.

Teemo - must be able to blind
Tristana - must have increasing attack range
Tryndamere - must be able to resist death
Twisted Fate - must have some random element

Udyr - no ultimate ability allowed. All abilities open to be levelled at any level

Veigar - Must have an AoE Stun

Xin Zhao - "I have defeated an enemy officer!"

Zilean - I knew you would do that

Evelynn has been removed from the 1350 list due to her recent rework Taric has been removed due to his recent reworks(s)

450 Champions

Annie - Must have Tibbers
Ashe - Must have a global skillshot

Garen - Must have an ability that scales off of missing health

Kayle - Must have invulnerability

Nunu - Must have bonus damage to minions/monsters

Poppy - Must have an ability with bonus effect on hitting terrain

Ryze - Must have bonus CDR in some form

Soraka - Must have 2 ways to heal allies

Warwick - Must have bonus health on hit or from spell

Sivir and Master Yi have been removed from the 450 list due to their recent reworks

Requirements:
Quote:
One full Lore section
One full Stats section
One full Abilities section

One full Explanation section. I want you to write at least 100 words on your champion's Gameplay. This means describing their role in the game, their weakness, strengths, and how they bring interesting play into game for BOTH sides. That shouldn't be terribly hard, seeing as I've written 52 words just from the last three sentences. This is a requirement. It helps us judges immensely to know what context we are viewing entries in! Some stuff can look wildly over-powered if we are assuming that we are reviewing a support champion as opposed to an AD carry, for example! So please do complete your Explanation section or you will be disqualified.

One full rework section. This section explains how your new design and lore fufills the fantasy and niche the champion was originally designed for, while improving on the gameplay or lore.

Scoring
Quote:
Below is the scoring rubric that I will use. I ask that anyone who becomes a judge submits their own rubric or uses this one so that entrants can evaluate them. I'd love it if you could sign up to be a judge before Week 3, Stats, but I won't be picky.
I will be dividing up my rubric into three distinct areas. Scores are out of 40

Quote:
Gameplay and Abilities 25 points
Lore and Theme 15 points
Stats and Numbers 10 points

Quote:
Gameplay and Abilities- How compelling is your kit, and how healthy does your champion make the game? Is it fun and interesting for you to play with, and you opponents to play against? The ideal kit is one that fun, interesting, unique, and feels fair for your opponennts to play against, even if you succeed.

Further caveat-- how well does your gameplay kit emulate the original design? Does it preserve what made the champion fun in the first place? Does it nix gameplay elements that were unhealthy and poor to play against?(25pts)

Lore and Theme- How compelling is your redesigned Lore? Is the Lore constructed in a fashion that is grammatically correct? How does the word-by word telling of your Lore flow? Does your Lore tell an actual story? Does your lore improve upon what once may have been a flat character?(15pts)

Stats and Numbers- Are they reasonable? Please note that the two most important stats, Range, and Movement Speed, will be evaluated much more closely, and in context of your abilities, as they are defining characteristics of a champion, as will the Range and Travel Speed and CC duration of any abilities you come up with. (10pts)

Elphrihaim

08-01-2014

This... THIS WILL BE...

A harsh lesson for all of us...

edit:

"Sion - Yo I don't know. "
.. Since Riot is making the new Sion AD Sion, the challenge should be to make AP Sion, right?? Riiight?

I don't understand

Quote:
Xin Zhao - "I have defeated an enemy officer!"

Zilean - I knew you would do that

---

Rammus - OK

these at all.

Quote:
Sona [has] been removed from the 3150 list due to their recent reworks

WELL BEOTIEHWFOFUHDS:ILTHEW:OGDHLEWJGHOE:JDS (I was totally going to do a Sona rework if you didn't blacklist her)

Othello the Cat

08-01-2014

Well, I will be doing this... And I pick Graves.

(I know I've changed it twice, but I have a better idea for Graves.)

MiaoLong

08-01-2014

Quote:
Elphrihaim:
This... THIS WILL BE...

A harsh lesson for all of us...

edit:

"Sion - Yo I don't know. "
.. Since Riot is making the new Sion AD Sion, the challenge should be to make AP Sion, right?? Riiight?

I don't understand

these at all.

WELL BEOTIEHWFOFUHDS:ILTHEW:OGDHLEWJGHOE:JDS (I was totally going to do a Sona rework if you didn't blacklist her)

None of those guys have champion specific requirements because my head hurts. Go nuts. I think.

MiaoLong

08-01-2014

Push

The Core Augur

08-02-2014

I'm not gonna lie. I'm leery on this contest. It's... I don't think I'd enjoy just rehashing someone else's champion. There's no innovation. ):

RickDodger

08-02-2014

small problem. You left out Sejuani and quite a few others.

DIBS ON LEE SIN!!!

Espy Psyche

08-02-2014

Entering and doing Annie.

Annie, the Dark Child

Lore: In the time shortly before the League, the Noxian High Command began a crackdown on all elements within its society it deemed untrustworthy. Having just prevented a coup led by self-proclaimed Crown Prince Raschallion, the Command was on high alert, exterminating all it deemed a threat to its rulership. Simply wanting to practice their arcane arts in peace, the Grey Order, led by Gregori Hastur and his wife Amoline, fled the city to avoid persecution. The Hasturs led a mass exodus of magicians and whoever else would travel with them from Noxus, trekking across Runeterra all the way past the Great Barrier and into the unforgiving Voodoo Lands. Though their resettlement was treacherous at times, and members of the Order perished in these harsh lands, their colony was ultimately successful, and the Hastur family still leads the Order colony.

Years after, the Hasturs had a child, Annie. Annie’s parents could sense their child’s gift from her birth. There was a dark power that lived within her, though it did not seek to dominate the girl. Rather, it bonded with her, living within her until it could find a host to serve as her companion. When the young girl encountered a shadow bear and was able to spellbind it, that power found its vessel. Annie named the bear Tibbers, and it became her bonded familiar. It was her closest, and sometimes only, friend. The bear, as a host for Annie’s power, grew to feel attachment towards Annie. Though Annie considers Tibbers to be her best friend, the bear has also served as her protector.

Passive – Tibbers: Annie’s bear Tibbers follows her wherever she goes. Tibbers has 20% of Annie’s Health, shares her Attack Speed, Health Regen, Movement Speed, Armor and Magic Resist, and has 30 (+5% of Annie’s Ability Power) Attack Damage. Annie can control Tibbers, and he will attack the last target (prioritizes champions) to damage Annie if not given a command.

If Tibbers is slain, he respawns 45 seconds later (reduced by Cooldown Reduction). If Tibbers moves to more than 1200 units from Annie, he is warped back to her side.
Q – Disintegrate: Annie blasts the enemy target with a fireball, dealing 80/115/150/185/220 (+80% AP) magic damage. If this attack kills the target, the mana cost is refunded.

Cooldown: 4 seconds
Mana Cost: 60/65/70/75/80
Range: 625

W – Incinerate: Annie scorches all enemies in a cone, dealing 70/115/160/205/250 (+75% AP) magic damage and stunning them for 1.5 seconds.

Cooldown: 10 seconds
Mana Cost: 70/80/90/100/110 mana
Range: 625

E – Molten Armor:

Passive: Annie and Tibbers emit a damaging aura, dealing 15/20/25/30/35 (+20% AP) magic damage per second to all nearby enemies.

Active: Annie surrounds herself in a molten shield, increasing her Armor and Magic Resist by 20/30/40/50/60 for 5 seconds. Additionally, basic attacks made against Annie cause the aura to tick instantly against the attacker independent of its normal function.

Cooldown: 12 seconds
Mana Cost: 20 mana
Aura Radius: 200

R – Flame Strike: Annie calls up from the ground a pillar of flame, dealing 175/300/425 (+80% AP) magic damage. Additionally, Flame Strike causes the targets hit to take 30%/40%/50% additional damage from Molten Armor and Tibbers for 6 seconds.

Stats:

Elphrihaim

08-02-2014

*pants heavily, because Tibbers is the innate*

MiaoLong

08-02-2014

Quote:
RickDodger:
small problem. You left out Sejuani and quite a few others.

DIBS ON LEE SIN!!!

All 6800 champions have been purposefully left out, along with any champions that have received recent reworks.