Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Team Builder Update

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Siachi

07-30-2014

Well I'm definitely glad for the adjusting in the matchmaking based on skill level; maybe I can try practicing jungling, and if I screw up, at least I'll be adjusted more towards my skill level as a jungler rather than, say, a support (Or whatever role I'm better at than jungling).

So yeah, Lyte, I'd like to know more about this sort of matchmaking, and what it takes into account. Also, is the Team Builder MMR reliant only on games played within Team Builder, or does your Normal MMR affect it, and vice versa?

CheesecakeReborn

07-30-2014

Has a cooldown period (like the one imposed on captains who decline too many people for a role) been implemented for solo players yet?

I know it's very important that people be able to avoid a team comp they don't like but as someone who frequently queues as a captain; there really is nothing more irritating than when people leave straight away because you don't have a complete team yet. Not only does it lengthen queue times for people in captain's mode (and I imagine in solo queue as well) but it also limits your ability to actually build a team when you feel forced to take anyone for a role; either in the hope that they might stick around while you find others or because you're afraid the rest of the team will leave if you turn them down.

All too often I've found that the only way to get into game reliably is to wait until you can chain accept all of the open roles at once and if one of those roles is in high demand it can take forever to get into game. There really needs to be something to discourage people in solo queue from leaving lobbies until they find one that's ready to go.

Baxter900

07-30-2014

Great set of changes =D

One thing though, we, as players, have absolutely no way to tell what 1800 MMR is considering the MMR isn't revealed and isn't just a copy and paste of the ELO system...

DeadlyWolf844

07-30-2014

Lyte, I would love to see the development of Team Builder in ranked mode without selecting a champion maybe. I think that having to select your role. Then match up with another team and you match in with you go through champion select like normal.

Like for example I want to play Marksman bot then I get invited to join a team and so once a 5 man team is formed we all click ready (like in team builder) then when we find a match and go through champ select like normal (with ban phase and everything). The main difference is we don't spend the first 20 or 30 seconds calling roles and arguing who wants to go mid or top or jungle. We would have that resolved before going through champ select. I would LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVE to see that!

luk443

07-30-2014

To long have I suffered through top pick not being able to play their role PLEASE BRING TEAM BUILDER RANKED!!!

Sluiceway

Recruiter

07-30-2014

I hope to see a team builder for AI games soon (I have been posting about this on the boards for a while, and I am glad it is being considered, even if I had nothing to do with it). The main problem with AI games is that the general attitude in pregame lobbies is, "It doesn't matter, it's just bots." This has become an excuse to ignore the fact that LoL is a team game, and teamwork does matter, if not for securing a win against the AI, then for the fun of everyone involved. It would also help (hopefully) to weed out the players who troll build their champs, such as an Amumu with DFG or Mundo with Ravenous Hydra.

Another consideration is the amount of players who use AI games to test new champs before buying them, or to learn them once bought. In order to practice a champ effectively, players need the ability to consistently get the lane/position we want to practice, as well as have a team that will fill the other roles so we can gauge how the champ we are practicing fits into a standard team comp, such as we can expect to find in solo queue.

Edit: Another reason to enable team builder in AI games occurred to me during a game I just finished. I went into champ select with the idea of playing jungle Cho'gath, which I hovered over until I saw that no one else wanted jungle, then locked in. When the game started, I asked for a leash on blue, and learned then that no one I was matched with wanted a jungler. If someone had asked in the pregame, I probably would have changed (and still had fun, as I maintain a sufficiently broad champ pool in case I don't get the role I want), but the point of this story is that what I wanted to play was in conflict with what the other four players wanted, and it would have been better for all concerned if I had been matched with a team that was looking for someone to jungle.

Lyanna Stark

07-30-2014

What would make it better than blind pick? That's the problem I have with team builder - it's blind pick. Plain and simple. Until it's not, it's dead to me, and it's a shame because some kind of role queuing is what I had been waiting for since the day I started playing League. I'm sorry to be so blunt about it but frankly I'm disappointed and frustrated.

If ranked team builder would just be the standard role queue that it should have been from the start, then yes, I'm extremely interested, but potential queue times at diamond+ ranked worry me. If you're willing to do role queuing for ranked then do it for normals too, dammit. Either way I'll go wherever draft team builder goes.

It just feels to me like Riot made this ridiculously overcomplicated and vastly different queue type that's almost entirely incompatible with ranked just for someone who wants to play jungle Ryze and is willing to sit in queue for two days to do it. The decision makes no sense from my perspective and I've never seen a satisfying explanation for it.

SWJodokast

Recruiter

07-30-2014

Feature I would love to see: Team builder in draft mode, something along the lines you mentioned in your OP where you queue for your position and then go through pick bans.

Issue I have had with team builder when queuing with a friend: Long queue times when we don't choose the starting roles of ADC/Support (these are normally our main roles but some times we want to do something else)

What seems to happen is when you queue as say mid and jungle, it will take about 1-30 seconds to get a top, then about 5 mins to get an ADC or support but only one of them. Since the ADC and Support roles are in high demand (at least in my mmr) they will wait about 10-30 seconds for the other missing role to connect or leave and find a group that has one.

My solution for this issue: Make the queue more focused on lanes than roles, instead of getting the first available person for each given role make the lanes queue at once. For example say you want to make your own meta and have 2 mid 1 top and 1 bot with a jungle, make both mid positions pop at the same time. Say you like the meta and like adc/support bottom, since their in the same lane make their queues pop at the same time.

Another option would be to allow adc/supports(or any roles really) to duo queue for a lane with out hosting the lobby.

I understand that based on how the match making service is set up this could be incredibly hard but I am just providing my prospective as someone that basically only plays team builder and 90% of the time queues with a friend.

Loe Browncloak

07-30-2014

I like the new changes to the team builder. I would like to see it move over to the ranked. I specifically do not play ranked anymore because of the argument of roles. My suggestion is why not pick a specific role i.e. Jungle, Top, in a team builder without a champion select. After the roles are accepted, then go to a draft champ select. This is not perfect but i think this will help reduce the amount of conflict people have in champ select.

PlurpTAP

07-30-2014

I am interested in the aforementioned algorithms lol