Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Tips with Rammus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Remiko Elliot

01-15-2010

Hello, Voistriser here with some Rammus tips.

To start off, I'd like to say that I'm a fairly new player to LoL. However I did play a hell of a lot of DoTA back in the days so I think I'm fairly well acquainted in this matter.
For the longest time now, I have played tanks in both DoTA and Lol with fair success.
I'm not here trying to say that I'm as good as anyone else, but just helping the community with my two cents on Rammus. I am perfectly fine with any critiques anyone might have simply because this guide is based on my experience and my opinion. I'm sure other people have found much success playing Rammus their style. Hell, I might even try your critiques to improve my own play.

With that aside, I'll start.

I personally think of Rammus as one of the most effective tanks in the game.
Sometimes in team fights, the opponent sees about 3 heros who can dps and 1-2 very beefy tanks. And what's the first thought that goes into their mind?
KILL THE DPS and worry about the tank later.
So this is why I see a lot of solo games where I see inexperienced tank players drop off late game.
They simply do not generate enough threat for the enemy to care.
What Rammus is great at is that he can actually FORCE your opponents to attack you with Puncturing Taunt.
Now as far as I know, Puncturing Taunt does much more than it just says on the tooltip.

Puncturing Taunt
This is by far the most useful skill that Rammus has.
For 3 whole seconds, you can force an enemy to attack you.
That's not all though!
-For the duration of the taunt, your opponent can also not use their own skills!
The only abilities that they are allowed to use is their summoner abilities.
Basically, with taunt, you can shut down an enemy dps in conflicts. Taunt is greatly improved with a nifty item Frozen Heart because then you will be spamming taunt all over the place and wrecking havoc.

-What taunt can also do is that since it forces opponents to attack you, it's basically the equivalent of DoTA's Batrider's ultimate. You can shackle opponents to you and either bring them closer to your team so that someone can stun whichever prey you brought them and kill it. You can use Taunt in conjunction with the summoner's ability Ghost
to quickly outrun any chaser and bring them to your team. Some might argue that you can accomplish the same thing with Powerball but Powerball doesn't bring the enemy closer to you.

-What you can also do with puncturing taunt is that you can SAVE A TEAMMATE'S LIFE.
This is super important. Your teammates will thank you for the clutch saves.

-When enemies are attacking your turret, you can try to taunt them. If the taunt lands, your enemy will attack you. And one attack is enough to provoke the wrath of the almighty turret. In those situations, use Taunt in conjunction with Powerball to keep them in range of your turret.

-You can also use taunt in conjunction with Rammus's ultimate Tremors because for 3 whole seconds, they will be standing inside your ult. Then you can use Powerball on them, and they'll probably sit inside your ult for the full duration. Which will probably hurt. A lot.

-With the crazy speed boost you can get with Powerball, you can run up, and stop any escaper.

-Keep in mind, Taunt reduces the enemy's defenses making them open for attacks.

Powerball
Powerball is the other coup de grace for Rammus
Rammus curls up into a little ball and accelerates to his opponents much like Spirit Breaker in DoTA. At the end of this path, it abruptly stops and continues to walk on foot.
If you collide with any enemy during your roll, you stop their movement for a very short duration and they are slowed.

-With Ninja Tabi or Mercurial Boots, Rammus can get up to speeds of 700ish movement speed with Powerball. You will be able to catch ANYONE without some sort of escaping mechanism.

-Powerball is not only an offensive technique, you can also run with it. Where ever you are, no matter where you're going, always use Powerball to get you from one place to another. With a Chalice of Harmony and one mana item(Possibly from Frozen Heart) You will almost never run out of mana. Though, you might want to save your Powerball when you are approaching an enemy simply because you might want to save the stun/slow.

-If you can help it, don't try to jump an unsuspecting foe just by casting Powerball in his sight. Whoever you're trying to jump is probably going to see and run away faster than you can catch up.
What you can do is, however, hide in some grass and cast your Powerball. When it gets to about 700 speed, you can ram into your enemy and they won't be able to run away even if they do see you.

-Powerball gives you an easy opportunity to cast Taunt.
However, if your target is going to run away, try to cast Taunt at the maximum range to give you more time to smack him around.

-Powerball is also a GREAT farming skill. It's not as good as your ultimate but you can use Powerball more leniently. Just cast and smash.

-Powerball's hitbox is a lot larger than you think it would be. Even a slight glance can trigger the hit. Keep this in mind when you're trying to avoid minions to land a Powerball.

-You can not use Powerball while your Defensive Ball Curl is up. If you need to use both, use Defensive Ball Curl first. Then Powerball.

-You can also use Teleport in conjunction with your Powerball for a free hit.
Just cast Powerball in your fountain and immediately teleport into a friendly unit. You can either just hit a few minions with it for some free, quick gold or completely surprise your enemies by stunning them as soon as you pop in their face. This is a very convenient trick.

-Use this whenever you are leaving your fountain.
If you cast Powerball and immediately move to your target location, your mana will completely regenerate by the time you leave the fountain. And Powerball stops somewhere before you leave your own base. It just saves time a little bit of time.

-Use Powerball with the summoner ability Ghost to reach speeds of 1000 movement speed. You will be amazed how fast you can go. Perfect for Chasing or running.

Defensive Ball Curl
This is an awesome skill that Rammus has that after a very short cast, he buffs his Armor and Magic Resistance by 150 and returns damage to attackers. Lasts for 6 seconds or so.

-This is a great defensive skill and people will have a very hard time trying to kill you while DBC(Defensive Ball Curl) is up.

-I wouldn't recommend depending on this for any damage. It's not reliable.

-Pop this when you want to tank a turret, you'll barely take damage.

-You can not use Powerball while DBC is up.

-I would recommend that you max this last simply because it's just more armor. There's other things you can be doing. Like helping teammates score kills.

-Use in conjunction with Puncturing taunt. They'll be sitting there damaging themselves.

-You look incredibly cute while DBC is up. Use this to your advantage to melt your foes away.

-Thornmail + Puncturing Taunt + DBC will melt most carry heros.

-Use DBC whenever you taunt for better survivability and a bit of damage.

-If you're quick enough, if you see a projectile that is coming at you, use DBC to negate a lot of the damage.

-For the last time, don't rely on DBC for damage, you have teammates for that.

Tremors
For 8 seconds, it creates pulses of earthquakes around you that does damage each pulse.
Sand King anyone?

-It has a 60 second cooldown! Don't be reluctant to use it whenever you see a wave of minions. It will quickly rake in gold.

-It does damage to buildings. Pop it to get a turret down faster.

-Really rapes the competition in early game ganking. Just Taunt and Tremor.

-Combo: Powerball into someone, cast Tremor, cast Taunt. (They should probably be running away by now. Cast Ghost to follow them so tremor keeps hitting, then Taunt again.
You win.

-Tremor just rocks, use it all the time. Nuff said.

Other Tips
I would consider Rammus to be a TANK.
You're not supposed to be there dpsing.
Just stack armor, MR, and health. You're good to go.
You can however initiate ganks very well with Powerball and Taunt.
But don't be discouraged because you will probably end up with 1-5 kills by the end of the game.
You'll probably have 27 assists.
Build your Mastery tree and Rune books to suit your play style and however works for you.
Sometimes I see a bunch of Rammus's go and build their hero with Attack Damage and stuff. But if you think about it, you can get the same deal just by getting more Armor with his passive ability. So why bother?
If you see your opponents stacking a lot of armor penetration, get some health.
Look at your opponent's team make-up and judiciously pick which items you are going to buy.
If minions are too far away, help your team by tanking turrets and pushing. It's your job as a tank.
Always run in first in team fights. Soak all their damage, cause as much disruption, and keep your teammates a live.
It's alright if you die if your team scores an ace in the end thanks to you.
Don't get greedy with kills. Stay safe. You benefit the team more that way.
I'm not sure if Rammus can solo Golem quickly and easily so I'd definitely just stick to Frozen Heart.

Suggested Items(Not in a specific order) Pick and choose depending on your game.
-Doran's Shield(Starting item)
-Ninja Tabi/Mercurial Boots
-Chalice of Harmony
-Frozen Heart(Spam taunt like nobody's business. No one's running from you.)
-Aegis of the Legion
-Thornmail(Anti-Carry)
-Guardian Angel
-Warden's Mail
-Banshee's Veil
-Sunfire Cape? (I'm not the biggest fan of this. Doesn't feel cost effective) It's an extra -Tremor basically
-Warmog?
-Atma's Impaler?
-Frozen Mallet?

Suggested Build
Powerball and Puncturing Taunt maxxed as soon as possible while raising Tremors whenever possible. Max DBC last.

Suggested Laning Partners
Anything with burst dps or a disable might net you or your partner a first blood. Ranged heros. You can also use Heimerdinger's Turrets as pseudo towers and taunt into them for easy damage/kill.

Suggested Laning Opponents
Not ranged. Squishy.

Suggested Summoner Abilities
Ghost + Teleport work wonders.
Other possible abilities:
Rally(To be an awesome teammate)
Fortify(To save your turrets/increase turret attack speed so you can kill whoever is taunted into it)
Exhaust(To help your teammates score kills)
Flash works too... but with Improved Ghost, I'd say it's useless.

Well that's about it. I'm not sure if I have forgotten anything but thanks for reading. I am open for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and comments because I'm always looking to improve how I play. I hope this guide helps some of you out there who play Rammus. And just to mention it again, this guide is solely based on experience and opinion. I might be right, I might be wrong. Don't be a jerk about it.

RokPaprBazooka

01-16-2010

good guide, some good points of rammus playing here. I would highly recommend sunfire cape for Rammus though. Definitely needed for the damage/armor/farm for a good mid play onto a strong late game (at late game not as important).

Remiko Elliot

01-16-2010

It does give a lot of health and armor, but do you really need the extra damage for farming? Tremor already kills a full creep wave.

Zibons

01-16-2010

Yes, but what about when Tremor is down? :] That's when Sunfire Capes are useful.

RokPaprBazooka

01-16-2010

Quote:
Voistriser:
It does give a lot of health and armor, but do you really need the extra damage for farming? Tremor already kills a full creep wave.

imo tremor should only be used on enemy minions when there is a bigger than norm wave coming your way; should be saved for champion attacks. No need to blast a regular wave of creeps using tremor. Besides, the damage output of tremor+cape is very very good at mid game. As you have said yourself, its like an extra mini tremor on top of tremor. Why would you not want that?

Garborg

01-16-2010

Meh.. Double post

Garborg

01-16-2010

I prefer maxing power ball last after getting 1 rank @ level 1. The speed and effect is all I need and defensive curl helps so much with tanking, +150 MR is hot.

Remiko Elliot

01-16-2010

I actually just tried Sunfire Cape right after boots. Great success. 9-1-20 in a losing game because our Soraka was a nub.

And as for the Tremor, I get Frozen Heart really early on so I don't think I ever see Tremor on cooldown XD

Eather Wizard

11-10-2010

I think this is like a bit to boring if u want to have assist , kill and tank 3 enemies alone and kill them use ninja tabi sunfire cape thornmail if there is 2-3 dps, sunfire again randuins omen finally whatever item you want. Look this guide here. http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/ramus-the-killer-tank-29546
my build also

Gigiwoo

11-10-2010

uh... way to resurrect an OOLLLDDDD thread. WTF?