[Guide]AP Poppy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prabon

01-15-2010

I'm trying to experiment with a build for Poppy that revolves around AP, attack speed and CD reduction. Then by the end you throw in some attack damage. Here's the thought behind this build. Paragon of demencia can quickly bring you to +35 damage per hit if you hit 10 times. Devastating blow and heroic charge's damage scale up with AP. Devastating blow's cooldown is low at level 5 and can add up damage like no tomorrow if you spam it. At level 18 with CD masteries, runes and items I can lower it to 2.6 seconds (or around, I can't remember exactly). Even heroic charge's cooldown is lowish and this is a great escape mecanism when needed.

Rune wise you would go with

Reds : attack speed
Yellows : Health regen (although I'm not bought on this)
Blue : CD reduction
Purple : Speed or mana regen or health regen

Items

Meki's pendant + 2 red potion
Boots
Fiendish codex
Berzerker's greaves
Nashor's tooth
Sheen
Phage / Zeal
Trinity Force
Guinsoo's rageblade (AP, damage and scaling attack speed and AP with each blow)

-------------------

The rest is opposite team dependant. I think Black Cleaver is a good option to build on that fast attack speed to apply debuffs. Warden's mail and Nature's Force are good too depending on opposition, and health regen does wonders on Poppy that doesn't often go for high HP. Lifesteal is also good for Poppy with this build so you could throw in a bloodthirster for added damage.

I guess you could take sheen first (mana crystal, then boots, then sheen), but I like to go for fiendish codex for the 10% CD reduction, then Nashor's tooth for the 25% CD reduction. Also decent mana regen that Poppy desperatly needs with this build.

-------------------

The order I take my skills are (bare with me, I'm not sure of their names)

Devastating blow
Heroic Charge
Paragon of dementia
Devastating blow
Devastating blow
Diplomatic thingy
Devastating blow
Paragon of dementia
Devastating blow
Paragon of dementia
Diplomatic thingy
Paragon of dementia
Paragon of dementia
Heroic Charge
Heroic Charge
Diplomatic thingy
Heroic Charge
Heroic Charge

Stun duration and distance doesn't change with Heroic Charge's level, and I don't count on it to do a lot of damage.

-------------------

Spell wise I take cleanse and ghost. Helps save my butt or chase ennemies, depends. I guess exhaust and rally are good too depending on your playstyle.

-------------------

I played with masteries and I'd say 21/0/9 works best with this build.

-------------------

I'm having mitigated success with this way of playing Poppy, but I believe it's cause my skills suck rather than the build itself. I'd like good players to try this and see if it works for them or not. The idea is you charge your devastating blow and initiate attack with heroic charge. This alone will severly damage opponent and if he panics he'll turn and try to run. In the meantime you've been hit and have been hitting minions, so your damage and armor buff should be around 10 stacks. If not hit paragon of dementia to max it (at the cost of a lot of mana). Cherry on cake, it also give you a nice speed buff.

If the enemy runs away, chase and hit until your charge is nearly up, then overtake him and try to bash him in a wall or make him go back on his tracks. In the meantime each time devasting blow is up use it. If he stands around just outdamage him by moving around him to stun him when heroic charge is nearly up (with a bit of chance you'll be next to a wall or something).

If it's 1vs1, use R to deal more damage from the start. If it's a team fight use R on last dangerous ennemy to be immune to your target's damage.

This build is quite mana dependant, so always check your mana levels. If R is not necessary, don't use it so you can put an extra devastating blow and/or charge in there when CD is up.

Comments are welcome as are ideas to improve the build. Even flames

Greenthumbz

01-15-2010

Your item selection order is off
Try this
Meki 2 health pots
then save up straight for sheen, u now hit like a truck with devestating blow earlier the better
now get ur boot
next get vampiric scepter
now finish trinity force
now finish nashor tooth
GG
this is a better order seriously, u cant take advantage of the nashor's that early, better off to get the sheen/trinity first,
just hold onto the meki till late game when u can turn it into a nashor
the vampires scepter helps u stay out of town so u can creep ur way back to health
eventually upgrade it into a bloodthirster
pwnsauce

Greenthumbz

01-15-2010

also drop the rageblade completely
AP is good but not the way to go
if u want more ap get a rylais

bobthegood

01-15-2010

If you go ap go lots of ap, otherwise go damage to maximize your triforce.