Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot, please help me change my mentality.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Penguinbashr

07-24-2014

Quote:
Eleshakai:
If you're sad and depressed just 'cause you're losing... this probably isn't the right game for you. You're GOING to lose nearly 50% of your games.

My mentality is that this is a game and I should play my best in it, but also enjoy every minute of it.

Yea because everyone is you and everyone enjoys losing for 40 minutes. That's what fun is about. /s

StonedCity

07-24-2014

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3204238&highlight=vaulk

This says it all.

Eleshakai

Recruiter

07-24-2014

Well Penguin... you know what the difference is...

you came here asking for help to change your attitude because you felt it was a problem and were concerned you might be punished.

I am perfectly content in my attitude - I know it's a healthy attitude for a gamer to have. I'm 100% confident that it's the best attitude to have in gaming, honestly.

The honest truth is that your attitude is clearly a problem. Whether you are able to recognize this or not is what will determine whether that punishment comes to you or not. If you don't wish to take all of the advice you've been given by myself and others in this thread... that's fine by us. We have nothing to lose - we're not going to get banned. We're already doing the right thing. So it's on you... either take a good long look at your comments in this thread and realize where your problem is - 'cause the rest of us can see it clearly - or don't. Have fun with it either way.

Snowdayy

07-24-2014

Quote:
Penguinbashr:
Amumu said he would go tank, but he went spectral into rylais with sorc shoes.

I sold everything and went AP GP and threw the game.
I knew what I was doing at the time and my intention was to lose. I kept asking "if you won't build properly, why should I?" I have been threatening people with troll building every time I see something stupid like going athenes on a support over crucible.

I honestly cannot tell if you are just special or very special.

Godbless the f*uck is wrong with you?

Supports can very well go athenes over crucible if they want. It's not ideal but it's not bad either, and Amumu's build is fine. You shouldn't even go full tank on Amumu.

I really hope I never get you in my games. I probably wont anyway, stay in plat/low diamond where you should be. You might even belong lower than that and just got carried seeing how you lack a few brain cells on this game.

Can't tell if you are a clever troll or just a fool.

You say you get mad easily, but you get mad for the stupidest reasons ever. I got mad at champ select on our support that decided to play Fid when he was first hovering around Morg against Trist/Nami. I don't think I need to explain why Fid is the worst support ever against this match up. You could get mad at that, but getting mad over a support getting athenes?

Penguinbashr

07-24-2014

Quote:
Eleshakai:
Well Penguin... you know what the difference is...

you came here asking for help to change your attitude because you felt it was a problem and were concerned you might be punished.

I am perfectly content in my attitude - I know it's a healthy attitude for a gamer to have. I'm 100% confident that it's the best attitude to have in gaming, honestly.

The honest truth is that your attitude is clearly a problem. Whether you are able to recognize this or not is what will determine whether that punishment comes to you or not. If you don't wish to take all of the advice you've been given by myself and others in this thread... that's fine by us. We have nothing to lose - we're not going to get banned. We're already doing the right thing. So it's on you... either take a good long look at your comments in this thread and realize where your problem is - 'cause the rest of us can see it clearly - or don't. Have fun with it either way.

I already know my problem. I asked to change my mentality, I am already chat banned. None of you people have given half of a decent way to change other than the bull**** I've heard that frankly does not work for me.

This is the only game I am toxic in. My problem lies with the fact after 6k games of LoL i simply do not wish to bow down to my team anymore. I am simply fed up with this ranking system, the players i get matched with, the fact that this community thinks that only you influence your games. It's tiring and stressful. I enjoy competitive gaming, I enjoyed grinding out games in SC2, getting to masters, then coaching other people (just minor tips, helping them improve).

But this is just ridiculous. I don't want to suck off my team just so i dont get banned. You can't say anything that might offend them, ever, and it's frustrating. Tell them they do something wrong politely, toxic. **** being polite. If I'm going to get chat banned for being polite, might as well do it toxic style.

Penguinbashr

07-24-2014

Quote:
Sleepy Skarner:
I honestly cannot tell if you are just special or very special.

Godbless the f*uck is wrong with you?

Supports can very well go athenes over crucible if they want. It's not ideal but it's not bad either, and Amumu's build is fine. You shouldn't even go full tank on Amumu.

I really hope I never get you in my games. I probably wont anyway, stay in plat/low diamond where you should be. You might even belong lower than that and just got carried seeing how you lack a few brain cells on this game.

Can't tell if you are a clever troll or just a fool.

You say you get mad easily, but you get mad for the stupidest reasons ever. I got mad at champ select on our support that decided to play Fid when he was first hovering around Morg against Trist/Nami. I don't think I need to explain why Fid is the worst support ever against this match up. You could get mad at that, but getting mad over a support getting athenes?

Sure I can understand why fids is not ideal against that. But getting mad because he picks fids support is l0l and just as bad as me getting pissed when some idiot can't tank damage.

It's funny. Getting crucible and focusing your AP onto a morellonomicon not only nets you more AP, you keep the chalice passive, you get a "free" ignite if you deal damage with your **** below 40%.

I figure I will just never speak, still get banned for "not communicating" and you'd still call me as toxic as I am now. You don't need to talk to play decently, but it's the only way I can vent frustration for the next game

Snowdayy

07-24-2014

Quote:
Penguinbashr:
Sure I can understand why fids is not ideal against that. But getting mad because he picks fids support is l0l and just as bad as me getting pissed when some idiot can't tank damage.

It's funny. Getting crucible and focusing your AP onto a morellonomicon not only nets you more AP, you keep the chalice passive, you get a "free" ignite if you deal damage with your **** below 40%.

I figure I will just never speak, still get banned for "not communicating" and you'd still call me as toxic as I am now. You don't need to talk to play decently, but it's the only way I can vent frustration for the next game

I was actually, all right let's see how Fid support goes, before bot lane obviously got destroyed by trist/nami.

Picking a very bad pick is not the same thing than building something you aren't used to. Sure, if Singed builds Phantom dancer and IE, get mad all you want, but if somebody builds a very viable item just because your little mind cannot accept it and thinks it's beyond bad, you are special.

Anyway, I am done with a fool like you.

Eleshakai

Recruiter

07-24-2014

Quote:
Penguinbashr:
I already know my problem. I asked to change my mentality, I am already chat banned. None of you people have given half of a decent way to change other than the bull**** I've heard that frankly does not work for me.

This is the only game I am toxic in. My problem lies with the fact after 6k games of LoL i simply do not wish to bow down to my team anymore. I am simply fed up with this ranking system, the players i get matched with, the fact that this community thinks that only you influence your games. It's tiring and stressful. I enjoy competitive gaming, I enjoyed grinding out games in SC2, getting to masters, then coaching other people (just minor tips, helping them improve).

But this is just ridiculous. I don't want to suck off my team just so i dont get banned. You can't say anything that might offend them, ever, and it's frustrating. Tell them they do something wrong politely, toxic. **** being polite. If I'm going to get chat banned for being polite, might as well do it toxic style.

Simple:
Do not tell people how to play or what to do during the game. It's not about, as you put it, 'sucking your team off'. It's about focusing exclusively on two things during the game:
1) Yourself.
2) The game.

Your allies can't be controlled, and trying to criticize them - one way or another - will likely lead to them playing worse and getting angry.

JUST RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO COMMENT AT ALL.

As I said, when you make a mistake - briefly apologize for the mistake. When an ally makes a mistake, say NOTHING. Being quiet is not 'sucking someone's dick', it's just recognizing that getting angry isn't going to help.

If you want to offer strategic advice, make it general. 'stay together guys, we need to teamfight' 'gather for dragon' 'be cautious for a bit everyone, we don't have enough vision' 'get vision back in our jungle everyone'

If your comments are not directed at someone, I've noticed that typically people won't get upset about them.

Penguinbashr

07-24-2014

Quote:
Sleepy Skarner:
I was actually, all right let's see how Fid support goes, before bot lane obviously got destroyed by trist/nami.

Picking a very bad pick is not the same thing than building something you aren't used to. Sure, if Singed builds Phantom dancer and IE, get mad all you want, but if somebody builds a very viable item just because your little mind cannot accept it and thinks it's beyond bad, you are special.

Anyway, I am done with a fool like you.

My "little mind" would have deduced that there is a better item combination than going for an athenes, as highlighted before.

If my support decides to go for a RoA first, why? What does that accomplish but putting yourself behind in limited gold? I'm such a fool for not wasting my gold income!

WookieeCookie

Player Support Lead -
Player Behavior

07-24-2014

Penguinbashr,

You're already a step ahead by asking for help. But the trick here will be how you follow through.

If you're genuinely interested in improving then you need to take a step back and really reflect on why you play League of Legends or any other competitive online game for that matter.

Seriously ask yourself: "Am I even having fun?" Be honest.

To me, it sounds like you're not right now. Even though you admit to it, I bet you don't enjoy calling people "autstic ****s" in game. That sounds incredibly taxing and draining to get so worked up in every game you play.

Chances are, if you're not having fun now; you were at some point. You have A LOT of games played since you started in November 2010. You've been through the irelia nerfs, the UI changes, the server instability, the OP Win Xiao release, S1, S2, and S3 championships and a great many more.

If you're not having fun then reflect to figure out why. Why did you come to League in the first place? Do you have a favorite champion? You love competition? The strats and plays? Maybe an LCS Player or Streamer you look up to and want to mimic?

From what you told me, it sounds like you enjoy winning. And you HATE losing. That's pretty cool. Who doesn't hate losing? If you're going to approach League from that angle, then you need to have reasonable expectations. You need to be honest with yourself.

First thing to keep in mind: You win some. You lose some.

That needs to be your new motto.

This is true for every player in League of Legends. It doesn't matter if they're Bronze, or Challenger. If you're getting upset at a loss, you really have to think to yourself: "Why u mad?" Of course you're going to have losses. At any given time of the day, 50% of the players in League are winning games, and 50% of the players are losing.

Another thing to keep in mind: Sometimes a loss is going to be outside of your control. Think about it right now. Dwell on it. Get it out of your system; because it's going to happen and there is nothing you can do about it.

Sometimes you or someone on your team will be faced with a technical problem. Sometimes someone on your team is going to have a behavior problem. Sometimes someone on your team is just going to perform poorly.

League is a team game, it's not about you. It's about all of the players (including you) working together to make magic happen. Sometimes you're going to get a team and composition that gels really well with each other, sometimes you're not. Sometimes you are going to be able to carry your team, sometimes you are not. Sometimes you are going to get carried, sometimes you are not.

You win some, you lose some.

You can't control your teammates. You're not telepathically linked, you're not all fans of the same playstyles or strats. This is random solo queue. You are being paired with strangers.

Solo Queue isn't about controlling others it is about working with others.

The only one you get to control is yourself. Understand and accept that.

But! and this is key! Give your team mates some credit dude, they're not that different from you. We're all in this together, and we ALSO want to win. We love League of Legends just like you do. We love it so much we're playing Ranked Solo Queue and being competitive; just like you!

It might not seem like it all the time. We may not choose the same builds as you(or do you not choose the same builds as us?). We might not always perform well(but then again, you don't either). We might be a bit testy or angry in champion select (maybe we just had a string of losses like you and are agitated? Maybe we are expecting you to troll just as much as you are expecting us to troll?)

But in the end, we're all players; we're all fans of the game. And if you're going to play League of Legends you have to understand this, and you have to give other players the respect they deserve as human beings.

So what do we have so far?

-You play to win and get better.
-But you know that you will win some and you will lose some.
-You also know that you can't control everyone on your team.
-But you also know that your teammates are not that different from you. They love League, and they want to win, just like you.

If you really think about it like this and then you reflect on your last month or so of games there is only one conclusion. The biggest obstacle in your League of Legends ranked matches is yourself. You're not giving the benefit of the doubt to your team mates. You're not understanding that everyone is flawed. You're not acknowledging that people are inherently good and want to do good.

You can try to "stop committing toxic behavior", but if you're not going to get at the core philosophical reasons that fuel that toxic behavior you will never succeed.

Are you interested in what people say about you?

Here's a breakdown of a recent game you played. The person on your team who reported you said:
Negative Attitude - "Wins the game but still cries abotu someone else's build.":

What did you do?

(23 seconds in and you've already stalked everyone else in your game. You noticed that the Yi didn't have the same kind of runes you would have chosen)
Penguinbashr (0:23): yep, another game ruined by someone who can't be bothered to have a decent rune page

(Yi asks)
Yi: who has a bad page?

(You respond)
Penguinbashr (0:50): you do? no defensive runes? are you that dumb?
((Where's the benefit of the doubt? Is he dumb or is he just trying a different strategy? Maybe he picked the wrong rune page? It happens, even to pros. Besides that, why are you so focused on what he's doing? You've already gone out of your way to assume the worst in another player and then let everyone else on your team know too. Now you're mad. He's sad, and your team is holding their breathe)

Yi: aww man
Penguinbashr (1:34): shhh to you to. Now I have to go ****ing tank riven because yet again my game is ruined by someone who cant pick for the team
((You're being a bit dramatic. It's 1:34 into the game, and it's already ruined? How are you even going to win if you're willing to give up before the minions have reached their lanes? What are your team mates suppose to think when you're already claiming the game is ruined? What sort of image are you trying to give off? Do you want them to be better? Do you want Yi to go back in time and change his runes? At this point, such a comment is completely unnecessary. Something better would be "Alrighty! We'll give it a shot!" or "That's okay, we'll make do!&quot)

(4 minutes later, it looks like perhaps Yi has died)
Penguinbashr(5:36): oh well, gg. why do you like to ruin games?
((Where's the benefit of the doubt? Do you really think Yi likes to ruin games? Do you think he doesn't care to win? Why are you calling GG at 5 minutes in? Why play a game if you think you can lose in the first few minutes of a match. That sounds like a terrible game to play))

((20 minutes go by, you're relatively quiet. I believe it's because you have chat restrictions. Regardless, it's pretty clear your team is starting to come out on top. Still though, your attention has now gone to the Janna Support))
Penguinbashr(26:43): why would you go athenes over crucible
Janna(26:59): Don't need Crucible atm
Janna(27:06): Nothing to really use it on
Janna(27:12): Unless Trist gets hit by a bubble,
(((Not even acknowledging Janna, you continue to blast her, remember; you're team is up!))
Penguinbashr(27:22): why dont you have a sightstone either. this is support 101. sightstone, crucible, boots, gp item.
Janna(27:28): Don't need Sightstone
Janna(27:34): We're winning heavily
Penguinbashr (27:39): christ. i support and get fed up with adc's. i dont support and i get fed up with people doing **** builds.
((Is it a **** build when your team is winning?))
Janna(27:40): They aren't going to be warding that effectively.
Janna(27:53): I'm a 2 time diamond support, play your own Champ.
Penguinbashr (28:20): if you say so. that's why you're too dumb to get a sightstone right. or a decent trinket item.
((Again, where's the benefit of the doubt? Janna has over 2,675 games played since she started in April 2011. Her win rate for the last 20 games played is 65%. She wants to win, just like you do; you're not all that different))

((A minute later Janna seems to still be the focus of your thoughts. You continue to give her unneeded advice because you're not willing to give her the benefit of the doubt))
Penguinbashr(29:11): stacking athenes and crucible. wow. so good.
Penguinbashr (29:42): did you know items with the same unique effect dont stack?
Janna(29:53): Did you know toxicity gets you banned?
Janna(30:01): I don't need the mana.
Janna(30:10): I use Athene's for mana
Janna(30:16): and Cruc for the cleanse.
Janna(30:29): Why are you bming me
((Really though, ask yourself, why are you bming anyone? Your team is winning the match. Everyone is getting a long with each other, except for you, because you're unwilling to trust anyone else in the game. You're not having fun because you're too busy being paranoid about everyone else's intentions in game to sit back and enjoy the ride. You're so focused on how you think everyone else is playing poorly, that you're not even taking into account what you may be doing poorly yourself.))

And that's really a shame. Because you don't control other players, you can't improve other players; trying to do so is a battle you can't win. They are not NPC AI's at your control, they are independent thinking human beings with their own opinions, wishes, and desires. (Although they all want to win, just like you!)

This is only one chat log, but it's representative of many that I reviewed. I can't really give a full in depth analysis of each game; but I wanted to address some of the core issues you're having trouble with.

Please don't think I'm saying you're a bad guy. You're very likely a pretty chill dude in real life. You're certainly not alone with this kind of attitude. There is a strong minority segment of players that act similar to you. They want to win and they're willing to tear down anyone who gets in their way to do so. This post is as much for them, as it is for you because that attitude isn't going to get them anywhere.

I really hope you take the time to reflect on the issue. If you're realistic about yourself and others I think you'll make a lot of progress. I genuinely believe that currently your poor behavior and attitude is handicapping your overall true level of skill.