Regarding 7/17 Varus PBE Change

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sexiest Varus UK

07-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
No plans to do so at present. Wouldn't rule it out of the question entirely, there are likely more interesting ways we can add power to him though.
I don't find his lack of mobility his main weakness, more his unreliable steroid. Why not try switching his passive and his W and see how that fares?

Coldmanj

07-19-2014

Quote:
No shortage of champs with slows. As above we're seeing if there's mileage in buffing something more distinct. On top of that a slow's fairly or completely ineffective against a fair number of diving champs, in contrast to a root.
I agree greatly with what you are saying here but one thing really sticks out with varus and his ult. depending on the opponents its effectiveness can be all but moot. Assassins are extremely popular since their ability to remove an important element on an enemies team is far easier than the other archetypes. As a non mobile adc, Varus has little to no defense against assassins since his ult simply roots them and does not stun or silence which makes him just as easy a target even after his ult for an assassin. I really dont think that Varus necessarily needs to be changed right now. He has become a niche pick compared to the dominant pick he once was.

His seeming lack of viability is also a pretty big tell on the current state and health of the game. The ADC has become so powerful that without someone capable of eliminating them in an instant, an assassin, they can tear through a team once the game reaches a certain point and take objectives with ease. This is by far my biggest issue with how the game has developed over the seasons. The ADC has become the catch all for the late game and to me that is not a healthy aspect. Every member of a team should have a true role to play through the entirety of a match, but as a match goes on it tends to become a case of just peel for the adc because they are the only one that can kill anything fast enough/take objectives quickly.

This is the biggest change I would like to see happen. I want the ADC role to be a healthy part of the game and not the carry catch all it is now. I feel ADC needs to be redefined to be either the strongest at taking objectives and relies on skills and abilities in order to contribute to a team fight. Or the primary champion killer that deals significantly less damage to structures. To me the first direction would be best for the health of the game. Right now all that really matters for ADC is that they are able to auto attack unhindered which ultimately ends up doing the work for them. Their abilities play their biggest parts during the earlier parts of the game for many of the marksman. True of some more than others, this best describes Caitlyn most of all who happens to be picked the most for the single reason that she outranges everyone. A great way to realize how unhealthy the role has become is to actually look at Cailtyn. Caitlyn's draw is that she outranges everyone, to a certain extent, in the early game. If she had her attack range reduced by even 25, which would match Ashe, her popularity would plummet because the rest of her kit is extremely sub par. the same would happen if the role would shift from being the best damage and structure takers into a role that does one or the other.

The likelihood of a change like the ones I described ever happening are extremely small simply because of the fact that the game has allowed the ADC role to exists the way it is for so long that the rest of the game has become structured around it being that way. This is the most unfortunate part of all. The undertaking to do such a thing would be so big and daunting that it is easier to leave things how they are...

Edit: Forgot to mention that the other way to make varus more viable would be to tone down the overwhelming dominance of assassins and their ability to quickly remove a squishier target with ease.

Edit: Edit: I also doubt that any of the designers will even come and really make any sort of comment or statement about how the ADC role really limits the variety of the game as a whole. If they did the ensuing fallout would be so insane that it would call into question a lot of Riot's credibility. About the only way real discussion about the true health of the ADC could happen would be to make an official thread that makes their opinions clear and cement them that way. So it will likely never happen.

Many say Fighters are the real controversial subject because they can eliminate squishies with to much ease. It is actually more of a blanket covering the real problem. I say this because once a fighter reaches and successfully kills an ADC, one side has one and the other doesn't. The side with now has complete dominance of the fight because the team without just lost their most reliable source of a sustained constant stream of damage. So once you take off the blanket, it is once again the ADC role that is the problem and not the fighter.

Best Varus KR

07-19-2014

I think his passive should have a seperate proc for detonating blight.

For example:

Grants 5%/7.5%/10%/12.5%/15% attack speed for 3 seconds per blight stack detonated. (Attack speed scales with levels put in blight)

Challenger Lulu

07-19-2014

buff his MS by 5 and see what it'll do.

RexSaur

07-19-2014

Quote:
I'm not sure top tier's necessarily a good goal, that implies she's potentially strong even against those that are meant to be good against her and therefore overwhelming against those weak to her (given she's not as much of a baseline pick as some other champs). Sometimes picked in competitive play (with the right team comp/enemy team comp) on the other hand I could see being appropriate. We did see a little bit of that last year with some of the Ashe/Zyra lanes being run. Personal suspicion is she's probably not too far off situational picks like that being valid, particularly with the decreased number of assassins in the competitive meta of most (all?) regions right now.
Are some base stat buffs or a completely new passive out of question for ashe?

I think shes fine personally and often underrated but i think she could use a little something.

Qelwa

07-19-2014

: o I wasn't anticipating an official response, thank you!

But as some said, Varus does seem a little less loved right now in comparison to other ADCs. If this buff goes through, maybe he'll see a but more play!

Coldmanj

07-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexSaur View Post
Are some base stat buffs or a completely new passive out of question for ashe?

I think shes fine personally and often underrated but i think she could use a little something.
Ashe's passive is actually incredibly powerful, just not in the lane phase. A combination of IE, Statikk Shiv, and Trinity Force would deal half if not more of a single targets health on that first hit. Ashe is in fact one of the more powerful ADC. It is simply the fact that she has an incredibly high skill cap while at the same time having a low skill floor that creates a lot of confusion for most average players.

Dhenz

Coldmanj

07-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qelwa View Post
: o I wasn't anticipating an official response, thank you!

But as some said, Varus does seem a little less loved right now in comparison to other ADCs. If this buff goes through, maybe he'll see a but more play!
We can only hope... but I still feel that as long as the assassin stays king squishy killer and popular it will still be some time until he makes a come back

Coldmanj

07-19-2014

Quote:
wait wait wait... can you get off your soapbox and stop trying to derail threads?

trying to derail threads really should get ppl temporary forum suspensions -_-