Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I Don't Understand

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PsychicToaster

01-24-2011

I recently picked up playing this game and have been doing pretty decently. In the span of only a few days I picked up enough Influence Points to buy Mordekaiser. I am enjoying the game quite thoroughly, I salute the developers for making a fun, free-to-play, competitive game.

My only concern is the apparent strictness that surrounds not having to be married to the game, AKA leaving a match. I have left a grand total of TWO matches, and log in to find myself suspended for the rest of the day and until about four o' clock CMT tomorrow late afternoon. The first time I left the game was due to being unable to support the team because of my fresh lack of understanding and experience. I admit I was frustrated by the amount of times I died and decided to go practice.

Today I left a game due to an urgent situation that called for my attention. I fail to understand how exactly one becomes suspended for acquiring two inconsequential "leaver" points in the space of more than seventy-two hours. Is this common? Is it wholly necessary? I just want to know if this happens to everyone who leaves the game an insignificant number of times. I know several people I met recently have left at least five games in the last two or three days and were not suspended.

I am not here to complain like a newbie, that much is obvious by my praise of the game above and manner of writing. I just fail to understand how this is relevant to a "satisfying game environment". Yes, leaving constantly can have an impact upon the quality of the gameplay, as it hurts the team. I would hope that leaving only twice in a week would not leave me unable to play, as that dampens my own game experience significantly, especially after earning points for Mordekaiser and just beginning to enjoy playing as a champion I had to spend time unlocking.

Does this happen to everyone? Is anyone who leaves a game going to be suspended, even if only for twenty-four hours? This leaves a lane buddy disappointed along with myself. I don't see why this would be necessary. I am not even asking for an appeal. I know most game administrators will not revoke anything they deem as a punishment. I just want clarification and perhaps a sense that this is not a rare case. I do not enjoy being a selective individual in a game community.

Thanks in advance.

NaginataX

01-24-2011

Wish I could give you some clarification, but I'm still new myself and unaware of the word-for-word policy Riot has on this issue.

It's understandable that people have real-life issues and sometimes can't commit to a full game...However; you have to take into consideration that a single person leaving can completely ruin a game for the entire team (who is also stuck there due to the same anti-leaving policy). They'd still have to wait a full 25 minutes before a surrender is even an option and thus 1 person can waist almost a half hour for 4 other people (who also have a real life and are using what little time they have to try to get in some games).

I actually praise Riot's system as I've played way too many games where afkers and quiters *cough cough XBOX cough* ruin a perfectly fun game. It's also a lesson that even if you're going to lose, you should stick it out, and at the very least, learn from the experience.

PsychicToaster

01-24-2011

I understand that leaving is annoying. I've been in over ten games with "leavers". It sucks. But we've also pulled some amazing victories out of nowhere as well. Believe me, I would not have left the game if the situation had not demanded it. If I had left over five games in the short span of time I've been playing, I would certainly not be here posting about it. I'd feel like I deserve it if those were the circumstances. However, I don't feel it necessary for a suspension after a single warning. It wastes my time as well. Yes, leaving wastes other players' time, but now the time I do not get to play is a waste in my opinion, especially after spending points on a champion. I never leave losing games(the exception being one of the few matches I played shortly after taking the game out of bot mode and online). I generally stick around and make the best of it.

CTHDRL

01-24-2011

If you can't commit to a full game, don't play.

Or at least play practice.

You're ****ing over 9 other people when you leave. Your suspension was well deserved. This isn't a casual game like Halo where you drop in and out.

You either play a game for however long it takes, you don't or you leave and get penalized. It's pretty much that simple.

OmniOmega

01-24-2011

Firstly, suspensions and bans due to leaves depends on your "leaver activity". If you show signs of consistent leaving, Riot will take action. I'm not sure if leaving x times in x hours will give you a suspension, but I have heard that if you leave a certain percentage of your games, then you will suffer penalties.

Have you encountered a leaver yet (other than yourself)? While it may seem of little consequence at lower levels when people are still learning, you will soon find that a leaver can cause a huge power difference between the two teams, especially if the leaver has played a bit first (soaking up gold and exp and/or dying to the enemy team). This essentially ruins the match for 9 other people.

You see, LoL (and MOBAs in general) are not drop-in drop-out games like many other games. When you play a match, your champion progresses by gaining exp and gold, leveling up and gaining abilities, and buying items. Due to the progressive nature of LoL, there is no way to even out the power difference of taking a player off of one team.

Anyway, the only way to ensure you don't get more suspensions or bans is to not play when you know you will have to leave soon. On average, a 5v5 match will take roughly 45 mins (although I've played matches that stretch on for over an hour), and a 3v3 match will take slightly less, maybe around 30 mins. Alternatively, you could just play custom games, as leaving custom games will not incur penalties.

Hope this helped .

PsychicToaster

01-24-2011

That's the problem. I full expected to be able to play. I was playing all day long. Life throws curveballs, especially as a college student with an apartment to manage. I have been dedicated to almost every match, the exception being only two out of at least fifty games or more. I have shown no signs of consistent leaving, so apparently I am an awkward exception to their system. I suppose if it's an automated system that has a few bugs I can understand.

xpsychedelico

01-24-2011

Understand that the leaver system works in two ways: the amount of leaves you have v.s. the total amount of games you have played (approx more than 5% is bad), and how frequently you leave. So you could leave once a week, but if it's more than a certain threshold (I think Riot puts it at 25% now) you will face a ban. Or, you could have 1000 games played, but leave 5 in a row, and you're still going to be hit with a penalty.

There's probably no recourse to your punishment--even if your actions were justified at some times. The point is that it is hard for Riot to make exceptions, if they do so, others will want as well, and you have to draw the line somewhere, so it might as well be a high bar so they receive less complaints.

It works the same way as any judicial system does, there are flaws and sometimes people are wrongly punished. However, it keeps majority of the bad eggs out, and that's why we still use it. It's impossible to create a perfect system given our current means.

PsychicToaster

01-24-2011

As a programmer, I can certainly come up with at least ten ways to make exceptions, but I suppose my argument is lost. I accept the suspension, as it is irreversible. I am dissatisfied, but will resume normal play tomorrow. Thank you, those that were not morons about it and were polite. One post in particular defies the above, but I shall not point it out. It stands out on its own.

NaginataX

01-24-2011

Trust me, I think I enjoy a game where I've been fed beyond comprehension, a player on our team quits, and we can still pull the win 4v5. But yeah, GENERALLY losing a player will lose you the game.

Like Omni mentioned above, you'll get used to the average time span of games and Riot makes it one of those games where if you can't commit to a full match, you shouldn't play. Just takes some judgement on all of the player's parts as to whether they can play or not.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

01-24-2011

Penalties for leaving games are more strict for lower levels, for a few reasons. For one thing, it hammers the idea that leaving is frowned upon into your head. It also prevents people from making a ton of accounts and leaving every time their account gets banned. Once you get a little higher, leaving (once) will mean you only need to wait for the game to end before you join another one, but you shouldn't be waiting for the game to end to play another one anyway...

Leaving a game:
1) almost guarantees your team to lose, behavior can often be corrected in game, enough so that while you won't do a complete 180', you'll stop holding your team back. (I know I've had enough of them )
2) makes the game less enjoyable for the other 9 players who are now playing an uneven match.
3) is a way of trying to 'game the system' (not in your case), where you leave a game you think you're sure to lose so that you don't waste the time, and join another one until you find one you think you'll win.

Before they had the strict leaver policies, you would end up with leavers in a lot of games. The same was true of queue dodging. Hopefully ragers/flamers/other types of jerks will soon follow suite and become more of a bad memory.

Anyway to reiterate about the leaver buster system. It penalizes for numerous leaves in a short time frame, or 'burst leaving,' as well as those who have a large number of overall games left. As you play more games without leaving, the system gets more forgiving when you leave a game or two. This is because higher levels are less likely to rage quit a game than lower levels (who are new and unexperienced in the pain that is having a leaver on your team), and more likely to have left due to legitimate issues (connection/RL emergency).

That said, all leaves are treated equal for any reason. Rage quitting is treated the same as a legitimate DC, is the same as a PP, is the same as having a real life conflict. This is because there's no way for Riot to determine the cause for the leave, and 'legitimate' leaves are a lot less common and won't happen very frequently. If you know your connection is suspect or doubt your time frame, you shouldn't be playing a long team based game at that given time.

Edit: Ninja'd

Also, what exceptions are you thinking of? (Since I think the current topic was mostly resolved, I don't mind side tracking the thread a bit)