All (not so) Random All Mid

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doomspikinator

07-22-2014

What about if the RNG analyzed what champs that everyone has and randomly inserted 6 more (6 is just a random number I thought sounded good, could be more, could be less) champions that they do not have and gave them a chance of rolling one of those as well as their standard champ pool?

I think this would still keep it random, but at the same time, give a chance that the people making ARAM accounts could still roll champs they don't use, but also make it so that people who don't use ARAM accounts have a chance to roll their champ pool, but also roll something completely off the wall.

Feedback?

0fficerJenny

07-22-2014

Would anybody play an all random game on the rift? I think that could be fun, after seeing your comp you would decide what lanes each champ would go to and what your strategy would be.

innervation

07-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Tiki View Post
Altering champ selection based on win rates: This could definitely make the core experience nicer in some ways (I could do with less Sona's showing up in queue myself) but I feel like it's no longer ARAM at that point. Much as I don't love certain team comps, I still like the overall concept enough to roll the dice and see what I get. Also games are short enough that I'm OK with it. Would want to do some research (big shock) on this and talk with actual designers on the long term implications.
'it's no longer ARAM at that point'. It sounds like you and Latency are both veterans of SR custom and Crystal Scar custom ARAMs (as am I, and my closest 5 or 6 league friends). This should be the driving goal of ARAM on the Howling Abyss. A R A M. Each letter and what it represents, or the mode is incomplete. I'm glad this thread finally exists, because ARAM has had a hole in it since the decision was made to not give all people all the champs and the rise of smurf accounts.

Quote:
[U]Namely that when I see the enemy team with a super OP comp, can I trust it was because of randomness and we all had a fair chance at getting that comp? If I can't, a part of me wants to rage and it ruins the experience overall.
This. This. A thousand times this. If I were TLDRing this post, it would just be this mini quote. Both teams have an identical random chance at an OP team, the worst team ever, and everything in between. I don't mind losing to people better than me. I don't mind losing to a better comp. But it is SO rage inducing to lose to a team full of skillshot mages who are two solo q divisions below you b/c all they have to do is spam their 15 total skillshots down the lane on 4-9 second cooldowns.

They don't need to land more than 2% of them, and they don't need to use any semblance of teamwork.

Quote:
Seeing opponents beforehand: Unfortunately I think this would make queue dodging worse. I suspect a significant # of players would dodge if they saw the enemy team ultimately rolled something better.
Agree.

Quote:
Draft pick all random: Again, a pretty different mode, but an interesting one! I wonder if players would actually pick "bad" ARAM champs into the mix in hopes of the other team getting them, or if everyone would just pick OP champs and hope for more. I think the later one is more likely, but I think the former would be really cool.
It would be fun, but not as a substitute for actual ARAM.

Quote:
I personally love the craziness that ARAM brings, even if I get my share of crappy team comps. I like being forced to play champs I don't love, I like playing awesome ARAM champs, and mostly I like seeing variety. One thing ARAM can bring that is tough with SR & other modes is consistent variety. There are so many champs and I love the thought that they can all get some play.
I love that you 'get it' on a fundamental level. Please. Deliver. (no pressure) :P

Rkt Jso mk IV

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-26-2014

I recall Mechwarrior 4 had a hard points system: One could only equip certain weapons in certain slots. For example, one could only mount a missile-type weapon on a certain Mech in that place which looks conspicuously like a place for a missile-launcher.

So a team might be capped on the amount of X, where X is poke or what have you. And all teams must receive a roll that yields that type of champion. Let people swap or reroll out of it if they choose.

Another system could be a riot-approved extra set of free week champions that are suited for ARAM, to widen pools for those lacking.

Yet another potential system could stretch the potential pool to be all champions owned by all participants (ala All 4 One). The champions which a player owned could be weighted to be pseudorandomly chosen more often.

EDIT:
More alternatives!

- same system as now for initial champ rolls, but players are presented with potential enemy teams to face off against. Players vote for the team they wish to face, potentially making lopsided match-ups less likely, while retaining the fun from playing an all-bruiser/all-poke/etc composition. 2/3/4-man queues could have less voting power to prevent more trollish match-ups.

- best of 2: ARAM map is shorter, quicker (less structure health), and dirtier (higher damage, no hp tokens, low health heroes bleed out). The match doesn't end when one nexus dies: everything resets, and the teams are swapped.

Learnding

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4T3NCY View Post
Heya guys ^_^/

This is definitely something that is on our radar. We also agree from a design perspective, that ARAM-only accounts manufacture a disingenuous experience, and aren't in the true spirit of ARAM (the "R" stands for Random btw).

Much like the game modes on other maps, certain champs in ARAM trend to being more effective and separate into perceived 'tiers'. The issue is the asymmetrical champ selection experience that 'ARAM-only accounts' create. In all other modes, when picking, you have an equal opportunity to choose champs you want as the other team does. ARAM-only accounts undermine this by giving a statistical advantage of hitting those 'tier champs' compared to other players. Here lies the crux of the unfairness.

Making ALL champions available on ARAM is likely to contribute a net positive to the overall sustainable health of ARAM as a game mode, but there are still many things to consider. There is so much energy and passion from you guys surrounding ARAM, we want to do justice to that spirit and not just pull a trigger without thinking.

Personally, I like the idea of making all champions available in ARAM games, and hope this is something we can eventually take a closer look at to find a healthy solution. ^_-

"This is something definitely on our radar, and has been a talking point in our various teams at Riot for quite some time now." - Riot Foro.

PR excuses at their finest

Hackulator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

3 Weeks Ago

It's simple, don't make EVERY champ available, just make every champ that anyone has unlocked who is in the current game available.