All (not so) Random All Mid

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vortex IV

Recruiter

07-20-2014

I'm pretty sure ARAM's champ select is very much rigged towards free week champs. I have a smurf that owns only nidalee and the free garen and out of several games played i've never got either of the champions I actually own on that account. My main account has all but 20 champions and I end up with something off of the free week list regardless.

You guys need to make an algorhythm that prevents more than 1 aram S-tier champ from being on the same team, and no more than 2 A-tier champs if no S-tier is present. That way the teams aren't so stupidly lopsided all the time, more enjoyment for everybody. But it doesn't sound like this guy is wanting to make neccessary changes, just more vague acknowledgement of people's issues with no real direction.

kryuss

07-20-2014

I think queue dodging has less to do with the comp overall, it's really about comfort level with the champion you received. There are just some champs people hate playing in ARAM. If you want to fix queue dodging, change the reroll system to give the person something that he/she is less likely to dodge with.

kryuss

07-20-2014

How about ARAM giving you a choice of three champions? Rerolling should do the same.

Rivini

07-20-2014

Since apparently the idea of allowing everyone access to all champions won't pan through, I feel like bans would be the next big improvement to the mode.

The leaders ban like they would in draft mode on SR, then everyone gets a random non-banned champion.

I consistently get bad comps compared to the enemy team (ARAM accounts must be getting more popular), so this would help tremendously. I'm so tired of playing against the same OP champions when I get ones like Sejuani. It's not fun. It's frustrating. If the enemy has Lux, I give up at the start. You simply can't win against a team with Lux unless you happen to have a godly comp.

This won't entirely fix the issue, but will help level the playing field.

Linna Excel

07-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4T3NCY View Post
ARAM's champ select RNG is not 'rigged' by any means, but certain players are curtailing their champion pools to gain an unfair advantage in what should be a random (there's that word again) experience.
Or the system bloody gives us sejuani for the 3rd time that day against an all ranged team and all you can do is QQ.

Tobasco da Gama

07-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Tiki View Post
Thanks for discussing all this folks! Here are some of my thoughts on what's being talked about. Disclaimer that I'm not a designer, just an ARAM player with a vested interest in the mode

Altering champ selection based on win rates

Hybrids of all champs available & only your champs available

Seeing opponents beforehand

Draft pick all random
One thing you didn't mention would be increasing the Free Champion pool specifically for the ARAM mode. So, even if you have an account that only owns Ziggs or whatever, there's only a 1/21 chance you'll get him on each roll, rather than 1/11.

Tagrineth

07-20-2014

I'm sure it's been mentioned already but what if the first roll could be any champion and then rerolls could only draw from champions you own? ARAM accounts could then still rig SOME games with OP picks, but rerolls recharge based on the number of champions you own anyway so in between OP rerolls they'd be stuck with true random like everyone else.

Xuhybrid

07-21-2014

It would make sense to offer a choice of 2 or 3 champions when rerolling in the ARAM. That way, the player is more likely to find a champion they are at least comfortable playing, even if they're not experienced with them. You could even just have this choice be available for every player without a reroll but i think that would change the current theme of ARAM too much.

Just me two cents.

Doc Blazed

07-21-2014

Q dodgers really grind my gears because it seems to only happen when the rng gods bless me with Lux, Xerath, Fiddle etc. The next Q pops and I get Leona. What if after a dodge you get locked into that champion and are guaranteed to get them on the next queue. Even the Sallypants who dodged. This way the only choice they have is reroll or suck it up and fight.

Ro11MeAnotherJ

07-21-2014

so I don't see the problem with ARAM .... I own every champ other then victor and braum and, play ARAM as much as 5v5 SR if not more. it gives me only a hand full of champs anyways..if it dose give me a champ I know isn't very good for ARAM most the time I have a re-roll and re-rolls treat me pretty nice............

Didn't even know people made accounts just for ARAM sounds like they would get out played for the lack of good runes so by all means make a account let us true lol lovers smash you....

if you change ARAM just always put a champ that dose poorly in the weekly rotation