Reasons to side with Morgana

123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SethCypher

01-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrevk View Post
Well, if nothing else Tainted Soil is environmentally hazardous. And soul draining is indisputably evil, unless you're only doing it to evil people (in which case it's kinda neutral, leaning towards evil). I'd love to believe that Morgana is a nice, honest gal who's had a string of bad luck that turned her purple/green with giant ears, but there's no evidence to support that idea.
While that is true, I don't think we should readily label character personas based on abilities.

Holy flames don't exactly strike me as a very environmentally friendly concept either. Why can't Kayle just heal stuff and bring enlightenment?

spectrevk

01-25-2011

There's no reason to believe that Holy flames aren't a renewable resource, nor is there a reason to believe that they permanently scar the landscape. Fire is part of nature; controlled burning preserves forests. "Tainted Soil" is an environmental disaster by definition.

Assuming that these cookies are on the up and up (which is a big assumption), they do suggest that Morgana is more community-minded than Kayle. She's investing resources in a world that is completely alien to her and bringing the benefits of a thriving small business to a small corner of Zaun, presumably with the intent of spreading the wealth further as the business expands. She's creating jobs and improving real estate prices by making the community a nicer place to live.

Kayle doesn't appear to do any sort of community service, and is perhaps more selfish than Morgana. This is, again, assuming that the cookies are legit.

SethCypher

01-25-2011

Quote:
There's no reason to believe that Holy flames aren't a renewable resource, nor is there a reason to believe that they permanently scar the landscape. Fire is part of nature; controlled burning preserves forests. "Tainted Soil" is an environmental disaster by definition.

Assuming that these cookies are on the up and up (which is a big assumption), they do suggest that Morgana is more community-minded than Kayle. She's investing resources in a world that is completely alien to her and bringing the benefits of a thriving small business to a small corner of Zaun, presumably with the intent of spreading the wealth further as the business expands. She's creating jobs and improving real estate prices by making the community a nicer place to live.

Kayle doesn't appear to do any sort of community service, and is perhaps more selfish than Morgana. This is, again, assuming that the cookies are legit.
One JoJ mentioned Kayle as upholding justice in Runeterra. I believe she sided with Demacia in an effort to bring an end to necromancy one time...I think. That's the only thing that has really been mentioned about Kayle in JoJ. Not sure how this would be labelled as though.

spectrevk

01-25-2011

Well, there goes that theory. Clearly we have no reason to believe that Kayle is anything other than what she appears to be: a good-natured paladin in gold armor. The worst thing you could say is that she's single-minded (even when not being summoned, she's still doing paladin stuff) while Morgana at least has a hobby.

Still, I don't trust those ****ed cookies. Something about the illustration suggests a sinister purpose to me.

SethCypher

01-25-2011

Quote:
Well, there goes that theory. Clearly we have no reason to believe that Kayle is anything other than what she appears to be: a good-natured paladin in gold armor. The worst thing you could say is that she's single-minded (even when not being summoned, she's still doing paladin stuff) while Morgana at least has a hobby.

Still, I don't trust those ****ed cookies. Something about the illustration suggests a sinister purpose to me.
She looks perfectly harmless to me...which isn't saying much since I also seem to think Mordekaiser looks perfectly harmless...

Cidem1324

Web Content Assistant

01-25-2011

Kayle assisted Demacia investigate a pirate attack on one of their ships. I'm not sure if the perpetrators were ever caught.

Dracorya

01-25-2011

I am more inclined to believe they are examples of extremes...and most of the time extremes are bad. So I guess that leaves me with siding with neither of them...there's going to always be strings attached when dealing with extremes.

spectrevk

01-25-2011

The only indication we have that Kayle is an extremist is her sister's word. Kayle's own description only mentions that she "sometimes" grants mercy, but more often destroys those she finds beyond redemption. This is likely consistent with the legal system on her world, and is the kind of decision that military commanders have to make.

Paperman299

01-25-2011

Quote:
Good points, and the Empire in Star Wars is an excellent example. The thing is, we had numerous hints that the Empire was evil: they killed Luke's aunt and uncle, people who we knew were unarmed non-combatants. They destroyed the peaceful (also unarmed) world of Alderaan, even after promising not to.

I haven't heard of Demacia or Kayle doing anything similar. The worst I've heard about Demacia was in the Lux judgement, where they dragged her away from her family for training. A cruel upbringing, perhaps, but when compared to the numerous atrocities committed by Noxus, it becomes impossible to imagine a situation in which Demacia *aren't* the good guys in their conflicts. I mean, maybe if they invaded Ionia or something, but what are the chances of that?

Similarly, while Kayle may not be as nice and friendly as Soraka or as cuddly as Teemo, she seems far and away a better person than Morgana. I mean, who knows what she's putting in those cookies? And even if they aren't poisoned, it could all be a plot to spread obesity and hyperglycemia across Runeterra.
Of course, the Empire had nothing grey about it in the way it was presented. I was using it as an example of a force which claims it is working for the good of law and order, but which in fact is simply evil. Just because one had a Death Star and the other has angelic wings doesn't change that, in LoL fiction where there are no clear markers as to Kayle's real alignment, we shouldn't be wary. Perhaps it would be more difficult to pin the Empire's alignment if Grand Moff Tarkin had been a beautiful girl in her twenties? Though I do believe Imperials are famous for their clean, striking style of armor, as well. It makes you wonder what emotions "the Adjudicator's" armor inspires in people back home.

spectrevk

01-25-2011

I'm not judging either of them solely by their appearance, though; I'm looking at their actions. One heals and shields and in her off-time lends military assistance to worthy causes. The other one desecrates land, drains souls, and bakes cookies in a city renowned for having extremely lax public safety laws.

123456 ... 10