Since the patch, what are people finding works well with Udyr?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stormsoul

01-14-2010

Topic. I'm a big udyr player, and usually go turtle > bear > phoenix as my skill priority.... my item build is usually Phage -> Zerker greaves -> sheen -> finish triforce and then madreds... However, I'm really out of touch with udyr, been playing other champs and whatnot.

What item builds do people find work well for him at the moment? I've seen udyr's take bear at level 1 more often as of late, makes sense to me... turtle isnt really anything special at 1. What does everyone think of his DPS stances at the moment? Are people finding more success with the attack speed/phoenix or a pure damage/tiger build?

Just curious, Udyr is who I consider my main and i'm just not sure if my build is whack now or if i'm still Udyr'ing right.

Schizophrenic

01-14-2010

I take Bear at level one if I suspect nice, early ganks. If not, then Turtle, and alternate. My skill build is usually switching often depending on situation, but it's always three points in Phoenix.

Item build is Phage -> Zerker's greaves -> Triforce -> Malady or begin Phantom Dancers, depends -> situation dependent. Sometimes Malady is done before the triforce, although it is rare.

I prefer the DoT of Tiger over the burst of Phoenix, since Tiger scales decently with damage, where as Phoenix scales badly with AP.

Ganks or general kills -> Cast Tiger, wait to cast Bear. After Bear, sprint over and smack them. Tiger should proc. Switch to Tiger again. Tiger should proc again. Boom, massive DPS happening. Continue switching between bear and tiger.

If low health -> Turtle, Bear, Tiger, Turtle. Or, Turtle, Bear.

Farming -> Turtle and Phoenix. You should get any lost mana from switching back from turtle and your ASPD, while Phoenix decimates the little creeps.

Jungle/Nashor -> Tiger/Phoenix or Turtle/Tiger. Tiger + Phoenix gives good damage, if you aren't tanking at all. Turtle + Tiger is the alternative if your tank starts dying.

Stormsoul

01-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizophrenic View Post
I take Bear at level one if I suspect nice, early ganks. If not, then Turtle, and alternate. My skill build is usually switching often depending on situation, but it's always three points in Phoenix.

Item build is Phage -> Zerker's greaves -> Triforce -> Malady or begin Phantom Dancers, depends -> situation dependent. Sometimes Malady is done before the triforce, although it is rare.

I prefer the DoT of Tiger over the burst of Phoenix, since Tiger scales decently with damage, where as Phoenix scales badly with AP.

Ganks or general kills -> Cast Tiger, wait to cast Bear. After Bear, sprint over and smack them. Tiger should proc. Switch to Tiger again. Tiger should proc again. Boom, massive DPS happening. Continue switching between bear and tiger.

If low health -> Turtle, Bear, Tiger, Turtle. Or, Turtle, Bear.

Farming -> Turtle and Phoenix. You should get any lost mana from switching back from turtle and your ASPD, while Phoenix decimates the little creeps.

Jungle/Nashor -> Tiger/Phoenix or Turtle/Tiger. Tiger + Phoenix gives good damage, if you aren't tanking at all. Turtle + Tiger is the alternative if your tank starts dying.
I agree with you on phoenix stances ap scaling, it's pretty awful, I think phoenix is really solid with a ton of attack speed since the proc is just constantly going off. As for the other points, that's pretty much how I've been playing Udyr , so I guess I'm not as far off as i thought I was, thanks.

AFKray

01-14-2010

Go turtle--> phoenix and 1 point of bear early on. Then level phoenix/turtle with priority on Phoenix if ur team has some good CC but I personally like to keep them fairly even to lower their mana costs since I am switching quite often.

As far as items go, Malady first since I use Phoenix as my DPS stance it scales insanely well with attack speed then I go Ninja Tabi/zerkers/Mercs depending on the opponents and then ill go for a trinity. Bloodrazor also works really well as it allows you to down Baron with an ally or 2 fairly early on.

Stormsoul

01-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKush View Post
Go turtle--> phoenix and 1 point of bear early on. Then level phoenix/turtle with priority on Phoenix if ur team has some good CC but I personally like to keep them fairly even to lower their mana costs since I am switching quite often.

As far as items go, Malady first since I use Phoenix as my DPS stance it scales insanely well with attack speed then I go Ninja Tabi/zerkers/Mercs depending on the opponents and then ill go for a trinity. Bloodrazor also works really well as it allows you to down Baron with an ally or 2 fairly early on.
yeah, malady looked interesting to me as a phoenix player but i just wasnt sure if it was worth losing phage early on. Will definitely try it next game, the proc is probably pretty sexy for udyr since it's pretty much guaranteed hes going to hit you 6+ times.

Solus

01-15-2010

I like to go:

1. Malady
2. Boots(Varies per game)
3. Trinity force with either Sheen or Phage as priority
4. Infinity edge
5. ??
6. ??

I get malady mainly for the attack speed it provides for your phoenix stance. Trinity force is always a good item and infinity edge gives your tiger stance a monstrous amount of damage.

I alternate between turtle and phoenix until turtle hits level 3, then I start working on and maxing bear, and then I finally max tiger. I don't like maxing turtle because it's useless end game. It blocks all of one hit at level 5 and if you're getting focus fired, the lifesteal won't save you.

I don't get tiger until the very last because it's not nearly as good as phoenix until you have the items for it. stance dancing between tiger, bear, and phoenix will have someone dead very, very quickly.

I will say that a lot of people like turtle/bear early on, maxing both and then maxing phoenix while leaving tiger at 3.

Wolfy2032

01-15-2010

The same thing works from what i was saying for weeks.

Phoenix>Bear>Turtle>Tiger in that order no exceptions

Doran's Shield
Berzerker Greaves
Malady
Zeal
Either : Mandreds if super fed Tri Force if semi fed Phantom Dancer if you are struggling
Either : Mandreds tri force or PD depending on what you got last
The incase item Either HP or Magic Resist or Damage what ever game calls for
Infinity Edge 100%

Late game IF IT GETS LATE GAME it SHOULDNT swap malady for blood thirster.

EasymodeX

01-15-2010

Quote:
What item builds do people find work well for him at the moment?
Turtle + Phoenix. Get Bear at level 10+. I typically only get bear to 3 to max Tiger afterwards.

Item-wise, Nashor's is pwnface. I'm trying to see if I can work in other builds to handle mana and CDR without using Nashor's, but Nash is "ol' reliable". ASP and CDR make Udyr win. Most builds focus only on ASP, but Nashor's is a solid median between the two (and slightly augments Turtle's shield as a side benefit, with a very small lolPhoenixAP buff).

Quote:
What does everyone think of his DPS stances at the moment? Are people finding more success with the attack speed/phoenix or a pure damage/tiger build?
Both, strictly speaking, are viable. Tiger build is good because you can hit cap ASP with very few ASP items -- so you stack ******ed amounts of ATK/crit/ArPen and meltface. This is a "I wannabe Yi" build. Bloodthirster, IE, Trinity, LW. Brutalizer can be purchased early game and sold off later as appropriate.

Phoenix makes an excellent ASP/proc build (Malady/Wit's), and helps you farm neutrals and creep waves very quickly. My current limitation with Tiger is mana management, since +ATK items do not have mana/regen (early Sheen and whoring the blue buff may help).

Exantius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2010

I feel that if you aren't going to get Phoenix really early (where the flat damage bonus upon activation is pretty big), you should go Tiger. Don't really have the math behind it quite worked out though.

The DoT on tiger is actually pretty nice, since the passive of the stance lends itself towards stacking damage, you're basically quite a bit of return for each point of damage you stack. In contrast, Phoenix Stance only really benefits from attack speed (for more procs) and AP, the latter of which doesn't scale entirely too well.

Phoenix/Turtle can jungle really well, being able to solo dragon at around lvl 4/5 with minimal items.

Monox1de

01-15-2010

The build i have been raping face with udyr has been as follows..

1. turtle
2. pheonix
3. bear
4. phoenix
5. phoenix or turtle depending On how much dmg i am taking/dishing out

after this priority goes phoenix>bear>turtle>tiger i finish with 3 points in tiger or 4/4 tiger turtle

as far as items go starting item is lifesteal scepter

2nd item berserkers greaves
3rd lifesteal scepter>malady
4th BF sword
5TH SHEEN/phage
6th phage/sheen(whichever udon't have)
7th pick axe
8th infinities
finish trinity
blood thirster
bloodthirster

so yeah thats obviously goin pretty late into the game... my build differs depending on the enemies and if my team is tankless i will get phage after bf sword then warmogs then frozen mallet

with this build i feel unstoppable against most champions

pheonix rapes face too hard k thnx bai