[FAQ] Leaverbuster Info

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tacop84

04-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuldrak View Post
This is possibly the worst thing since the addition of Xin. If you make leaving an option then dont punish people for using it. Make a system where if someone leaves another person can jump in and take their place.
I like this idea... in theory, in practice it would be a lot more difficult to pull off.

What happens if the disconnected player wants to reconnect? You would have to implement a system where if you are disconnected from the game for X minutes then you are locked out from the game and can't reconnect. 5-8 minutes seems about right. At this point a new player can jump in.

The other obvious problems are gold/items and level. Obviously if a player jumps in at level 1 with no items he would be useless and a detriment to the team. You would probably have to implement a system where this player gains levels equal to the average of your team and gold equal to the average of your teams gold (current and spent added together). That's the only way to make it fair really.

Another problem is how do you decide who gets put into an in-progress game? If I hit the play button expecting to start a new game I am going to be pissed when I get put into a game in progress. You would have to implement an option to seperately queue for games in progress to prevent this.

I think the best option to help out a team that is shorthanded is to give out a temporary buff based on the amount of players missing, probably X GP/5 as it helps anyone. Once the disconnected player(s) reconnect the buff goes away. Perhaps 5 GP/5 for the team for each player disconnected?

Of course the current system would remain in place to deter people from leaving in the first place, but giving a shorthanded team a little something until balance is restored is a good idea IMO.

Pyrinoc

04-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuldrak View Post
This is possibly the worst thing since the addition of Xin. If you make leaving an option then dont punish people for using it. Make a system where if someone leaves another person can jump in and take their place.
There are so many problems with this type of system:

- Nobody wants to join a game that's 20 minutes in with an inhibitor down and their hero being 5 levels below the enemy with a 0-12-0 record.
- Nobody wants to join a game that's ongoing only to find out the hero that you got stuck into is one that you hate.
- On top of this, how do you even ensure that summoner even owns that hero? That sounds like matchmaking hell to me.

Circumvent this by letting people opt into being shoved into games that are already ongoing in some fashion? My bet is that a fair amount of work would be required to get a well-thought out system in place only to find out the people don't use it... Along with the cries of "You took the time to build this but didn't build the Tribunal/MagmaChamber/Draft Mode for normals/etc/etc/etc?!"

The system they have in place is what was asked for. It's what DotA players wanted for ages and ages before LoL even existed.

Can anyone actually say that their life is -so- unpredictable that they can't guarantee they're going to be uninterrupted for an hour? If you have less than an hour to play a game, don't join one figuring "Well, this will probably take less than an hour." Assume that it's going to take an hour, at the very least. You're safe that way. On that note, one of my closest friends has two little girls, and because of that definitely cannot guarantee an hour of his time interrupted. I -wish- that I could play with him because we make a great team and have a lot of fun playing together, but he won't even install the game because he just knows that it isn't going to happen.

"But my grandma started choking and I had to call 911 and keep her alive!"
Yes, you did, and you made the right choice by leaving your game of LoL. But emergencies like this don't happen every day, or even every week. The system will punish some people that don't deserve it (Not people that had to leave once because of a real life emergency as above, though), but they're just going to get a one day suspension once. That is far from the end of the world. The people this system severely punishes are going to be the ones that can't handle losing and don't know what to do about it other than ragequit.

Insanes

04-21-2011

Wait, so players get banned for the issues that Riot failed to fixed? I was playing fine until today... I got constant crashes. If both the player and you are unable to fix this issue. Why should only 1 person get the blame for something?

Joyful

04-21-2011

this explains alot i didnt kno before.. why wasnt this mentioned in the tutorial?
is new player

renovatio93

04-21-2011

A leaverbuster system is good, especially for those who consistently leave games. But I left one game and I got banned and its simply ridiculous. I had a connection problem this one time and I successfully reconnected after multiple times of trying about two-thirds into the game. A leaverbuster system is good, but it really needs to be changed.

drumsandfire

04-21-2011

bump. this morsel really needs to stay at the top.

ace1780

04-23-2011

I'm one of those that has been suspended and temp banned for internet disconnects. After reading this thread, perhaps here's an idea for the leaverbuster system that is easily implemented.

At least on my end, internet failures are usually momentary. Most often it's because my ISP sends a reboot command to my modem, i assume to update firmware and settings. Usually, my connection is back up within a matter of minutes.

So, why not make it possible to reconnect to the game after a few minutes? As long as the player reconnects, it's not a Leaver. This potential solution is pretty much bug free. I saw using a WiFi switch as an excuse to disconnect without counting a leave. Well, if you reconnect within the given time frame it won't count towards a leave. If you don't it will.

So yes the game has a reconnect button when it detects a connection error, but some of us, the computer must be rebooted to reestablish the internet connection.

This idea for a timer solves all the problems, and anyone with a computer that meets the minimum system requirements should be able to reboot and have the game running and reconnect well within, say a five minute reconnect time.

I'm curious to get opinions on this, and who should i direct it to? RIOT directly, or... ?

Arkard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Wrenchman

04-23-2011

ace1780, the system you describe is already in place and works almost exactly like you described.

If you disconnect, even if you have to reboot, you can start the game back up and there'll be a 'reconnect' button you can click on to get back into the game. Basically, you're stuck in the game until it ends, even if you leave/disconnect. The only time you won't be able to reconnect to an existing game is if it ends while you were restarting.

However, LeaverBuster also detects how much time you spend AFK/idling away from the game. A 5 minute outage once or twice will probably not get you a suspension, but if you are giving away five minutes of gameplay to your enemies every single game, or every other game, then you will eventually be suspended. A five minute advantage is hugely beneficial to the enemy team and can frustrate your allies.

SlugDC

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-24-2011

Bump in the hopes that this thread may one day be pinned.

Aalce

04-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eambo View Post
What is Leaverbuster?

Leaverbuster is an automated system that suspends accounts for leaving games in a short period of time.

How does it work?

Leaverbuster uses a 'level' system to determine how many games you have left. Essentially if you leave games, you will get a warning. If you continue to leave then your account will be suspended. When your suspension expires, if you continue to leave, you will get a longer suspension. This will continue.

How does it determine when to ban me?

The Leaverbuster system has a hidden number that increases and decreases when you AFK/Leave, or when you play a streak of games without leaving/AFKing. This number jumps up much quicker the less games you have played - so if you have only 10 games played 1 leave could get you on leaver level 1. If you have 100 games played, 1 leave might not result in any action - although the hidden number in the background will increase.

That's not fair, I'm new!

Fair or not, unfortunately that's how it works. We have no word on whether this will change in the future or not.

How do I get my suspension removed?

When suspended, next time you log in it will give you a date and time of when the suspension expires.

My internet dropped out/Client Crashed/Computer exploded, it wasn't my fault!

Regardless of whether it was your fault or not, if you are not present during a majority of a game - you left the game. This is outside of your control, and Riot's control - and the automated system simply sees a leave as a leave. No questions asked.

My problem is outside of my control, but I want to play LoL!

If you're having issues, it's better to try and resolve them. Talk to your ISP, get your computer fixed, whatever. However if you don't want to get the issue resolved, I advise you stick to custom games, as you do not receive leaves for customs.

Why should I be punished for something that's outside of my control!

Outside your control or not, if you leave the game you're leaving your team at a disadvantage. Having a constant amount of leavers means other people in your team get annoyed, and quite often people quit due to the annoyance it causes. If you leave, you're going to be punished - whether within your control or not.

I saw someone with lots of leaves, why aren't they banned?

LeaverBuster only came into effect a while ago, so any leaves before then weren't counted. Also, the system does not ban on the amount of leaves overall, but the amount of leaves in a small amount of space. So over time, if you racked up 20 leaves, you may not be banned. Get 20 leaves in a few days however, and the banhammer will hit.

I demand you remove my suspension immediately!

Send your suspension appeal in a ticket to http://support.leagueoflegends.com. Note that it may take a few days for Riot to get back to you, depending on their ticket load, and generally you'll be unbanned by that time anyway.

I posted on the forum, why haven't Riot responded!

Riot work off their ticket system, as linked to above. Posting on the forums will do absolutely nothing for your case, as nobody on the forums can adjust your account in any way.

Can I reduce my leaver level?

Yes! By simply playing games and NOT leaving, your leaver level will eventually degrade.

You said my leaves would degrade, but I've had a leave for months now!

Nope, I didn't. I said your leaver LEVEL would degrade. Leaves at this time cannot be removed from an account, and are there permanently.

Riot, I demand you remove my leave - it looks ugly!

Sorry, Riot cannot adjust stats, including ELO, Wins, Losses and Leaves.

So what, I can't play LoL now?

My advice is to work on fixing your issue, rather than trying to play with it. However while having issues, or if unsure you can play through a full game, you can play custom games - these do not incur leaves, and can be Player vs Bots or Player vs Player.

I want to QQ about this system.

I highly recommend you don't. This system was implemented after months of requests from the community to combat leavers - and this is the response. If you want to have a civilised debate feel free to post your opinion in General Chat, but don't be surprised if the majority of people agree with Riot on the Leaverbuster system.

I was banned, but I didn't leave the game, or get a leave! It said Victory/Defeat!

If this happens to you, you've been hit for AFKing. This shows as a normal game, but in the background it'll increase your leaver level. Don't AFK!

I didn't AFK! My connection dropped/Game Crashed, but I logged back in!

If you take too long getting back in the game, you're considered AFKing/Leaving (depending on the length you were gone for). Due to this, you may be hit by a temp ban.

It says I should be unbanned today, but I'm still banned!

Riot's banning system works on time also - if you were banned at 12:20PM then your suspension will expire at 12:20PM. If you are unaware of the time, my only advice is to keep trying!

I have a life! Why should I be banned for that?

If you have a life, why are you on the forums complaining about a game then? Go and enjoy this illustrious life of yours!

In seriousness, this is no excuse. Most people have a life, minus the zombies who play League of Legends. However you need to plan your time - if you cannot dedicate enough time to League of Legends for a full game, then stick to custom games where you won't get leaves - if you have an 'unpredictable' lifestyle and you may need to leave at any point, then Ranked/Normal/Co-Op vs AI aren't the game modes for you.
i was banned at 3:30 and its 3:46 and im still banned and it says the ban will be lifted today whats wrong?