Rammus Tank Runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whelk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2011

Speaks for itself. I'm new to Rammus tanking and frankly I could use all the help I can get. I've read myriad guides, and all have their own opinions on the subject, so I thought I'd see what you all think.

1. What runes do you use on a non-jungle tank Rammus?
2. What tips can you give to a brand new Rammus, just out of the gate?
3. Thank you for even looking, much appreciated!

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2011

note: we're talking about the non-jungle rammus:

Generally I play rammus with my favourite tank set, being health quints and all other runes in mana/level.

While this is a rather unusual and unpopular choice, here's the logic behind it, and you can decide for yourself: Generally tanks have a low mana pool (rammus being a primary example). On the other hand, all tanks have spells with quite powerful effects. Powerball, taunt, defencive ball for rammus - they can all save your life, or your friends'. So after many games and observation I noticed that most of my deaths as tanks (rammus, malphite, singed, amumu..) were when I was simply oom. So I followed the logical solution - baught the mana/level set, which gives a total of 600 mana at lvl 18 btw - and it workes out perfectly.

In addition to simply having more mana, it also has these advantages:
-the mana gained from leveling up is added both to your maximum and current mana, resulting in an effective replenish, as a mini-catalyst. It's quite noticeable, gaining 60 mana/level instantly lets you cast a new spell. (60 being your natural mana gain + the runes).

-picking up the strengh of spirit mastery gives you some pretty good health regeneration. 600 mana is converted into 1,8 hp/sec, or 8 health per 5. Not increadible, but it really helps the laning phase.

Kilrathi

01-25-2011

Thanks for the thoughts Somnium. Does anyone have good tips/builds for a jungle Rammus? I was thinking of buying him this week and, lo and behold, he's free, so I think I'll give him a try. I got dominated a few games back by a jungle Rammus and figure that this week, with Ashe and MF free, there should be some good squishy noobs soloing mid and just waiting to be ganked.

My question, though - is jungle Rammus do-able at summoner level 16? I can jungle just fine with WW with smite and my typical runes/masteries, but I've heard for Rammus you need to start at blue to get the mana to clear the rest of the jungle. Will I be able to beat the big golem at lvl 16? What masteries (I assume the typical +buffduration, +exp, +smite and then armor?)? My rune set is basically geared towards Ashe (AP, mana regen/level, crit chance) with a few Warwick specific ones like attack speed, too. I probably should add some health and armor, too, but don't have the IP right now.

With this set up, is Jungle Rammus a viable option or should I just stick to lane for right now? Any tips/guides would be much appreciated. Is the starting build still cloth armor + health pots?

R66Y

01-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrathi View Post
Thanks for the thoughts Somnium. Does anyone have good tips/builds for a jungle Rammus? I was thinking of buying him this week and, lo and behold, he's free, so I think I'll give him a try. I got dominated a few games back by a jungle Rammus and figure that this week, with Ashe and MF free, there should be some good squishy noobs soloing mid and just waiting to be ganked.

My question, though - is jungle Rammus do-able at summoner level 16? I can jungle just fine with WW with smite and my typical runes/masteries, but I've heard for Rammus you need to start at blue to get the mana to clear the rest of the jungle. Will I be able to beat the big golem at lvl 16? What masteries (I assume the typical +buffduration, +exp, +smite and then armor?)? My rune set is basically geared towards Ashe (AP, mana regen/level, crit chance) with a few Warwick specific ones like attack speed, too. I probably should add some health and armor, too, but don't have the IP right now.

With this set up, is Jungle Rammus a viable option or should I just stick to lane for right now? Any tips/guides would be much appreciated. Is the starting build still cloth armor + health pots?
Honestly, I have no idea if you can jungle with Rammus @ 16. You may need a friend to help with the golem. Even with runes and masteries set up though, I drop down below half health on golem, so it may be difficult without the proper set-up. I'd suggest trying it in a practice game first, or queueing with someone who can assist for the golem.

I take flat armor yellow, flat MR blue, and health quints. Reds are flat armor for me right now, I plan on checking out how it works with some AP runes though (Need to play through a few customs). Also want to see how CDR works on blues.

I run 0-21-9 on masteries, although 1-21-8 also works well (either improved smite or longer neutral buffs)

Take cloth armor and 5 health pots to start. DBC is your starting skill. Hit the golem once then immediately turn on DBC. As soon as you get hit, drink a health pot. Keep DBC up as much as possible and drink your next health pot as soon as the first runs out. Smite to kill. The do wolves, wraiths, lizard, and double golem.

I can generally get it done before the 4 minute mark and have enough health left to gank if one lane is overextended. If not, port back and get boots, more health pots, and maybe a ward. Go ganking or clear out the enemy jungle if they haven't already.

Kilrathi

01-25-2011

Thanks for the thoughts - wish I had time for a practice game tonight to try it out!

Do you think it would make any sense to start at the double small golems instead (and go something like wraiths, wolves, Blue, Red)? Or does Rammus need enough mana that he can't really jungle if he can't start with Blue? I figure starting with the small golems would let me level a bit before hitting Blue but maybe I'd also be too hurt and low on mana by the time I got there...