And then Jax said "Let there be AP"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dirtpoor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2011

I dont get why anyone would chose rylais over frozen mallet or trinity slow. Jax auto attacks more than casts.

Everspace

01-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtpoor View Post
I dont get why anyone would chose rylais over frozen mallet or trinity slow. Jax auto attacks more than casts.
But his casts have very low CDs, and he benefits more from AP than AD.

I personally think Rylai's is more "buildable" meaning you can get chunks as you please, and it's more consistent sooner than Frozen.

Plus if you land Q, look slow! But if you land Q and can't auto (as sometimes happens) you are kinda SOL.

dirtpoor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everspace View Post
But his casts have very low CDs, and he benefits more from AP than AD.

I personally think Rylai's is more "buildable" meaning you can get chunks as you please, and it's more consistent sooner than Frozen.

Plus if you land Q, look slow! But if you land Q and can't auto (as sometimes happens) you are kinda SOL.
Ok. On the flipside everytime you get silenced you cant slow with rylais. Or if you are out of mana. Phage takes zero mana to proc. I

usually rush ginsoo then phage. Then Zeal. Now your auto attacks slow and you have significant attack speed. Then I start to get situational items. Not even counting 1 free auto attack every time your empower CD is up because using it resets your auto attack while your speeding up your stacks.

I play jax with armor pen, crit chance, dodge, hp, mana per level runes. Full defense mastery with attack speed masteries.

It seems like phage keeps you on their trails ez. And leapstrike compensates for any enemy stuns,snares, get aways. Seems like rylais is just a step in a direction you really dont need to make. Sure its usefull. But i think phage is faster to get and more usefull faster.

The Red Spy

01-23-2011

I do AD Jax, except for Rageblade. If you plan on doing steady damage, put lifesteal in there, it lets you keep going steady with autoattacking for ages. Put Phage or Frozen Mallet so they can't get away.

JohnCataldo

01-24-2011

Jax is mostly about building up stacks of his ultimate. When he has 10 stacks, he's overpowered compared to other champions. He's similarly underpowered with 0 stacks. This is why Rageblade is such a good fit. Rageblade is at it's best when Jax is doing what Jax needs to do anyway (and the attack speed from Rageblade helps him do what he wants).

Something like Rod isn't awful if you want Jax as a mostly tank, kind of like a weird Singed, as both get bonus health out of the deal. But that's not usually the role you want to Jax playing. Most of the time you want to play more like aggressive Vlads, not taking health items but taking other items that happen to give health. Jax abuses his passive more with BF Swords or even Rabbadon's Cap than with Rod.

Of course, the biggest reason to go mostly for attack items over AP in general is that Jax is focused on attack speed. While his ultimate does get better with AP which relates to attack speed, damage/critical strike/armor pen matter for every attack, not just ones where his ult triggers.

Ebonclaw

01-24-2011

Jax is also a spell spammer though, and can make incredible use of Lichbane, in heated combat.

Your standard Rylai/Lichbane/Rageblade core gives you incredible potency with Jax. Add in Gunblade, Rabadon's, Malady, Atma's, or whatever else might be good, if the game goes longer. Though really, just about any combination of the items that I just listed (as long as the first is Rageblade, nothing else compares for cost effectiveness on Jax) will leave you with a very powerful champ, if played with skill.

DrDragun

01-24-2011

RoA ties up too much money buying stuff like mana and hitpoints. You will break 3000 hp just buying pure AP/AD stuff. It's not BAD but there are better items competing for your 3000g.

Tekapo Warrior

01-24-2011

"RoA has to be rushed"

Personally, rod of ages is the last item i buy for most characters, because once I finish a build I can continue to have my hero's stats grow, even when I no longer require purchases. When a game goes over the 45 minute mark, I've usually finished my build. Granted, most solo queue games don't run that long, but in AT or ranked, it's not uncommon at all to have players finish their builds by the 45 minute mark.

Also, Jax does not need much HP, since he has ridiculous dodge and magic resistance. Personally, I would concentrate on AS and AP with him.

Jaredryan

01-24-2011

Do you guys usually get ninja tabi before rageblade? Or vice versa. I usually go tabi>rageblade>phantom dancer>infinity edge. However I just started playing again after a break, and noticed they took dodge off PD, is it still worthwhile?

Mambazo

01-24-2011

pd isn't good for jax anymore, he doesn't benefit that much from AS/crit compared to ap/ad