And then Jax said "Let there be AP"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArlanKels

01-23-2011

So I've been fiddling around with Jax lately, poking gently at him from a distance as he slumbers.

And I thought about something.

Right now most Jax builds center around either Guinsoo's Rageblade or Hextech Gunblade. A combo of AP and AD.
This is understandable, as he gains benefits from both.

But I was wondering..how many people here have tried to build him with a Rod of Ages?
And basically ignore the attack speed route of Rageblade and instead focus on raw damage output from his Q and W?

I mean Rod of Ages gives 630 health..
And then 80 AP
Which gives him an extra 240 Health on top of the 630?
So he really gets 870 Health(Nearly warmogs!) on top of doing more damage on top of having more mana!

:O

Everspace

01-23-2011

Guinsoo's works with his relentless assult, while a rylai's gives you a PRECIOUS PRECIOUS slow.

RoA has to be rushed, and by that time it's too late >_>

godhunter1053

01-23-2011

too late for what? Jax is a late game carry in the same category as yi or trynd. They won't usually get a lot of early kills, they farm and punish you later. So an early RoA would be late for...what exactly?

Harbin

01-23-2011

Well, generally because Rageblade gives you 93AP at max stacks as well as attackspeed, and 35 AD.

291 HP total.

ArlanKels

01-23-2011

Or even, dare I say it, a Deathfire's Grasp?
I mean can you imagine if you fought a Jax and he dropped your HP by 30% before he even started to fight?

CheerUpEmoKids

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-23-2011

Don't ask. Do it. Play multiple games and tell us how you did.

Kushmeyer2

01-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhunter1053 View Post
too late for what? Jax is a late game carry in the same category as yi or trynd. They won't usually get a lot of early kills, they farm and punish you later. So an early RoA would be late for...what exactly?
RoA isn't worth the money unless it has time to build up the extra stats, then it's a cheaper investment than most. You have to rush RoA as first item, which generally will take away from his ability to kill as well as if he rushed Rageblade then Rylai's or whatever other item you want after. Late game carries need early game feed, and RoA isn't going to cut it unless you have a good support lanemate.

RoA seems more of a safer Jax, which isn't really going to work for a late game carry. You don't see your ranged carry in mid rushing Frozen Mallet's very often, do you? It's the same concept. It does work, but it isn't as efficient as damage items in the hands of a good late game carry player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlanKels View Post
Or even, dare I say it, a Deathfire's Grasp?
I mean can you imagine if you fought a Jax and he dropped your HP by 30% before he even started to fight?
I can see this happening. Especially vs beefy dps or vlad, or any health-stacker really. Overall I still see Jax having more important items, but this could be a nice addition in a lot of situations.

Harbin

01-23-2011

Why not rush rabadon's and leave it at that? 200 AP, 400 HP.

Everspace

01-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbin View Post
Why not rush rabadon's and leave it at that? 200 AP, 400 HP.
Because it's like getting warmog's on Vlad, looks nice on paper but bad in practice. Vlad's kite gets a really good string from Rylai's and so get that.

You are rushing a good item in favor of being **** early on. You lose out on utility, and Jax isn't ALL about AP as much as some other champs are.

Harbin

01-23-2011

Why is it bad in practice? After all, 39 AP off of a warmogs isn't much on vlad, on the other hand rabadon's goes well with your decent AP ratios and provides you with better burst than a RoA if you want to build AP.

Either way, I prefer Wriggles/Guinsoo's/Gunblade.