Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

3rd Party Skin Site Fraud Update

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SquidmoX

Player Support Manager

Follow RiotSupport on Twitter

07-10-2014

Getting scammed sucks. Unfortunately the internet is full of shady people who take advantage of others. At Riot we strive to protect players from these scammers, and recently we’ve noticed an increase in fraud around 3rd party skin sites and skin reselling.

These sites promise limited edition skins for League of Legends, when in reality they acquire codes illegitimately and exploit players. They charge excessive prices (we found one skin for over $1,000!) and sometimes take payment and never provide the content. You can’t predict the outcome, and no purchase is ever guaranteed regardless of what the seller says. To make matters worse these services typically use bots. Bots are lame to play with and chew up additional server bandwidth, negatively impacting everyone.

Riot is taking action against these scammers at the source. We are working with multiple payment processors to inform them of the situation and recommend they no longer process fraudulent payments from these sites. Additionally we will be deactivating all previously issued skin codes starting today. If you have a skin code that you acquired legitimately please send a request to Player Support (https://support.leagueoflegends.com/anonymous_requests/new) and include proof of ownership. We’d be happy to help redeem the content to your account, but please note after 07/23/14 we will no longer be redeeming codes for any reason.

For more information about codes and how to send Player Support a request, check out our code cards FAQ (https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/46095810).

EDIT: Player Support will not be retroactively removing content and skins that have already been redeemed prior to this announcement.

DR34MK1LL3R

07-10-2014

does this mean no more Riot skin codes and such at events like PAX?

SquidmoX

Player Support Manager

07-10-2014

Good question. It will depend on the event, but yes the plan is to still have codes to hand out at live events such as PAX. Moving forward these codes will have expiration dates to reduce the opportunity for scamming and fraud.

Shuri

Recruiter

07-10-2014

Oh ouch, skin codes deactivated? I guess that's a really effective way to combat botting and should help, but I always liked codes (I just got a DS Pantheon from a friend).

I hope 3rd party sites don't prey on people not knowing that codes no longer work. Make sure everyone reads this!

PsychicToaster

07-10-2014

In before incessant whining of 90% of the playerbase for this game.

Screamin Banshee

Recruiter

07-10-2014

Good bye lol skin shop to bad about the youtubers they sponsored but i didnt agree with their premise i the firstplace

Neek4theNguyen

Recruiter

07-10-2014

does this mean all the DS pantheon codes and riot ward skins going around on twitch and twitter from the event are going to be deactivated as of today or tomorrow?

SquidmoX

Player Support Manager

07-10-2014

I'm guessing you are referring to the codes given out at Anime Expo? Those codes expire on July 11th.

Buboniic

Recruiter

07-10-2014

I was wondering why Black Alistar was being sold for 999.99$... I was like "Seriously?!?!"

Not even ultimate skins are worth this much..
http://prntscr.com/41cn5a

Keima Katsuragi

07-10-2014

I bought a championship riven and it costed me 500 dollar.. i bought it 24 days ago (the estimate delivery time is 7-24 days) and right in the 24th days you guys announce this.. i sent a ticket about it but im very nervous and frustrated, my question is will i still get my skin? Because it will be as good as scam if the 500 dollar skin i bought is disactivated by you guys
please reply, im extremely frustrated right at this moment