Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Ask the Rogue Mage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AsktheThornmage

07-19-2014

Quote:
freAK47:
((I'm just going to assume he plans on going soon, so will post what he will find. If theres a problem, i will edit))

When Ryze would travel to that spot located by the scroll, he would understand the authors confusion: there was NOTHING. Absolutely nothing for miles in every direction but sand. Only two twin solitary boulders in the sand, each 10 feet wide, 10 feet tall, and 10 feet long. If he tryed scrying through the area, basic scans would reveal sand and sand and more sand, beneath and around him. With more pressing, he would find that a large space beneath the ground, about 3000 feet down, was redirecting the scrying attempts around it. The area was disc shaped, a mile in diameter and about 800 feet tall in the middle.

With more effort he would find that his shape revealed as nothing. It had levels upon levels of wards and protections on top of eachother. It was not impossible to destroy the wards, but it might disable or damage surrounding magics.

After the scroll for the information it contained Ryze set out to investigate the area mentioned therein. Once he got to the appropriate position he began to use his power to scry the arid land. What he found was something that surprised him a bit, discovering that not only was there a certain region beneath the sands seemingly deflecting his clairvoyance but it was also uncomfortably large. Now, Ryze was powerful but he had rarely needed to exert himself as much as he just did, and had to take a short rest so as not to damage his body. Thorn magic was an impressive art, powerful and undiluted, but it could take its toll on the body as any other magic could. The only difference was that many of its spells were tattooed upon the flesh of the user, making them easily accessible. Ryze was pretty much a human-shaped spell-book, though his ego with it was nothing like that of the Magus Ascendant.

"Hrm. This'll be tricky."

After realizing he would need more to work with than he had now, he sat upon the ground cross-legged and moved his arms so that one was raised skyward while the other was lowered so that his finger tips were lightly pressing into the sand. Usually most who were not natives of the desert would find the extreme heat uncomfortable or even unbearable, especially those who were used to a drastically different climate, but Ryze was afforded the luxury of not being bothered by it due to the nature of his thorn magic - he had a spell for regulating one's body temperature etched somewhere on his body, in fact. He would then sit in that position for the next hour or so, making no movements nor any sounds though he gradually began to accumulate arcane power. He was doing this by siphoning the residual magical energies lingering in his immediate area (the Shurima Desert was the result of abuse of magic during the Rune Wars, after all). He was also channeling this arcane energy through his body (mostly his arms) and directing it into the sand by his one hand's finger tips, all the while what seemed like electrical arcs danced all around his statuesque form. He was attempting to disrupt the warded area below him by pelting it with arcane energy which might slowly nullify and dissolve whatever spell was keeping it protected from scrying, which he was doing simultaneously (obviously since he needed to guide the magical energy moving through the sand).

{{ Bet you didn't know Ryze could so something like this, huh? }}

freAK47

07-19-2014

((No I didn't, but I got a few cards of my own))

During this bombardment of magical energy, Ryze would notice a few things. One being that there was an incredibley strong, static source of power to the wards. It was a thing, not a person. The wards held, but were distorted, near the breaking point. He would get disjointed images: rock, crystal, high levels of magic, a small wooden hut, light. He would also notice that there was a tether of magic leading to the surface from the dome. To the twin boulders. It seems that once the wards on the dome were attacked, it disrupted what wards there were to hide the tether. There was also a faint glow of magic around the boulders as well.An entrance perhaps?

OdainMorll

07-19-2014

A plain letter would arrive for Ryze from the Institute of War, contained in an equally dull envelope with a return address of the Institute's mail room.

Dear Ryze, the Rogue Mage

I hope that this letter arrives to you at an admirable time, I would not want to disturb your studies into the arcane. I and many others have noticed that despite your obvious practices into various magics, such as Thorn magic, you still manage to find the time to have a good enough exercise routine to not only keep fit, but also build muscle. If you would be so kind as to answer, how do you balance out your magical studies, exercise routines and your work within the League of Legends? I happily await any response you might send should you want to send one.

with Kind Regards,

Verran Vincent (http://summoners.shurelia.com/profiles/4476), of the Institute of War

AsktheThornmage

07-19-2014

Quote:
freAK47:
((No I didn't, but I got a few cards of my own))

During this bombardment of magical energy, Ryze would notice a few things. One being that there was an incredibley strong, static source of power to the wards. It was a thing, not a person. The wards held, but were distorted, near the breaking point. He would get disjointed images: rock, crystal, high levels of magic, a small wooden hut, light. He would also notice that there was a tether of magic leading to the surface from the dome. To the twin boulders. It seems that once the wards on the dome were attacked, it disrupted what wards there were to hide the tether. There was also a faint glow of magic around the boulders as well.An entrance perhaps?

Ryze began to grow more and more disturbed by what he was finding and seeing, discovering an unexpected sophistication to this set up that really didn't sit well with him. The fact that something was going on down below the surface was bad enough, but then the images showing him pieces of what could possibly a nefarious plot made it worse. Fortunately he managed to find a link to the warded area connected to some nearby boulders, which prompted him to stop what he was doing and consider his options.

"....there might just be an entrance through those rocks, but if I go in now they might be on high alert. On the other hand, if I wait and come back tomorrow or later then they might beef up their defenses and security...."

The choice was fairly obvious to him, as he didn't want to give these things the chance to become more ready for him, so he rose to his feet and made his way over to the large stones that seemed rather conspicuously placed. He began to search around them for something out of the ordinary - most likely a sigil for teleportation, but the rocks themselves might have left some sort of clue for an entrance....

Quote:
OdainMorll:
A plain letter would arrive for Ryze from the Institute of War, contained in an equally dull envelope with a return address of the Institute's mail room.

Dear Ryze, the Rogue Mage

I hope that this letter arrives to you at an admirable time, I would not want to disturb your studies into the arcane. I and many others have noticed that despite your obvious practices into various magics, such as Thorn magic, you still manage to find the time to have a good enough exercise routine to not only keep fit, but also build muscle. If you would be so kind as to answer, how do you balance out your magical studies, exercise routines and your work within the League of Legends? I happily await any response you might send should you want to send one.

with Kind Regards,

Verran Vincent (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/redirect.php?do=verify&redirect_url=http%3A%2F%2Fsummoners.shurelia.com%2Fprofiles%2F4476), of the Institute of War

Dear Summoner Verran (or Vincent, whatever),

I don't practice various magics. I practice Thorn Magic, which is far different from other types of magic. You see, unlike the rest, Thorn Magic involves scribing various spells onto the prospective practitioner's body in the form of symbols and abstract imagery. This is the only way one can wield it, in fact, and as such it is a very rare arcane art. I count myself as one of the fortunate few who knows how to bestow Thorn Magic upon others, but I don't have any desire to give anyone else this dangerous power.

As to my regimen, it's pretty simple. My duties as a Champion of the League give me the best opportunity to exercise my otherwise mortal form in addition to expending my arcane prowess, but otherwise I do venture to various parts of Valoran in order to learn about different magics wielded by many others. Of course, there are very few forms of magic that can really compare to Thorn Magic, but that's really only because they never developed its stricter method of gaining it.

And before you ask, yes, my ENTIRE body is covered in these magical images. I won't go into detail, but you should get the point.

Don't hold me up,
Ryze

{{ I didn't write a little mini-narrative of Ryze getting to your letter simply because he's answering it upon returning after whatever he gets done in Shurima by Freak47, and as of yet I'm not sure what condition he'll be returning in. }}

freAK47

07-19-2014

There would be no visible runes, but it was a bit odd, the two boulders were near perfectly round, 10 feet high, 10 feet wide. If he would touch the right boulder, he would feel a small drain on his energy. Enough to frighten a basic mage, but barely noticable to one such as him. He would feel magic flare up within the stone, a complex and intricate magical lock. It would take him mere seconds to decifer that it needed a voice command, a bit of magic, and a person of a specific blood type to unlock it. Something that would slow him down another few minutes.

After a few minutes of tinkering, the next rock would split open, a 10 foot wide, 10 foot high tunnel opening beneath it. The tunnel extended down until it ended in rock. The rock in the far distance slowly rolled away, a large number of colors glowed from the other side. Magic also seemed to flow from the hole, a unigue feeling. Like he was back in Summoner's Rift.

Nexus Crystal.

AsktheThornmage

07-19-2014

Quote:
freAK47:
There would be no visible runes, but it was a bit odd, the two boulders were near perfectly round, 10 feet high, 10 feet wide. If he would touch the right boulder, he would feel a small drain on his energy. Enough to frighten a basic mage, but barely noticable to one such as him. He would feel magic flare up within the stone, a complex and intricate magical lock. It would take him mere seconds to decifer that it needed a voice command, a bit of magic, and a person of a specific blood type to unlock it. Something that would slow him down another few minutes.

After a few minutes of tinkering, the next rock would split open, a 10 foot wide, 10 foot high tunnel opening beneath it. The tunnel extended down until it ended in rock. The rock in the far distance slowly rolled away, a large number of colors glowed from the other side. Magic also seemed to flow from the hole, a unigue feeling. Like he was back in Summoner's Rift.

Nexus Crystal.

Of course, being that he was a conduit for magical power, Ryze had little difficulty in deciphering and bypassing the magical locks which seemed to have been meticulously set up. Of course, he had many spells and one of them allowed him to alter his blood type as needed - Thorn Magic was truly a wondrous and yet wicked art, he'd come to find out, but it was no less useful. As he made his way through the tunnel he frowned ever more deeply while finding himself meeting almost no resistance at all. He wasn't sure why but he had expected more of a defense than this, though of course he was well aware he had only just stepped upon the iceberg, as it were. Eventually he reached the point where he felt a familiar power, one that he'd been connected to countless times, one which caused his eyes to widen and his mouth to gape in total shock.

A nexus crystal? Here? How? And why? So many questions began to splatter the front of his mind in rapid-fire as he had trouble figuring out just what exactly was going on. If there was a nexus here, then he had to inform the High Council of Equity. Shaking his head slowly, the turned on his heel (also turning his back to the source of the magical power, and began running back to where he came from. He had to get back to the Institute, he had to alert High Councilors about this. Especially if someone, or something, had control of it and could practically do as they pleased...

{{ You may color me intrigued, Freak. }}

freAK47

07-19-2014

Jake studied the magical display screen next to him, observing the magical presence of Ryze fleeing the tunnel. He sighed, really hoping he was making the right decision. But he had to at least try. He left his house near the center of the cavern, moving to a small circle of runes on the ground. They had made these rings as a one-way short distance teleportation. He had a small stone in his possession to recall him to his people, but he had to be close to the Nexus to use it. A risk worth taking perhaps. Activating the runes, he projected his destination to the enchantment. A brief flash later and he was gone.

Ryze would sense another presence appear just outside the tunnel exit, where he was heading, about 200 feet from it as well as the teleport that got it there. From his fine senses, he could almost see the magic glowing from within him, as if it was a part of every inch of his body.

((Did not expect him to run, but I do respect him more for that. Thought he'd be prideful enough to believe he could handle anything they could throw.))

AsktheThornmage

07-20-2014

Quote:
freAK47:
Jake studied the magical display screen next to him, observing the magical presence of Ryze fleeing the tunnel. He sighed, really hoping he was making the right decision. But he had to at least try. He left his house near the center of the cavern, moving to a small circle of runes on the ground. They had made these rings as a one-way short distance teleportation. He had a small stone in his possession to recall him to his people, but he had to be close to the Nexus to use it. A risk worth taking perhaps. Activating the runes, he projected his destination to the enchantment. A brief flash later and he was gone.

Ryze would sense another presence appear just outside the tunnel exit, where he was heading, about 200 feet from it as well as the teleport that got it there. From his fine senses, he could almost see the magic glowing from within him, as if it was a part of every inch of his body.

((Did not expect him to run, but I do respect him more for that. Thought he'd be prideful enough to believe he could handle anything they could throw.))

Ryze slowed his retreat as he sensed the sudden distortion of arcane energy, as suddenly a new source of it appeared very conspicuously at his destination. He wasn't foolish enough to consider taking on a task of this magnitude, nor did he have any intention of letting someone else suppress his own arcane power for whatever desire drove them to do as they were. But this presence...it bothered him on a mental level. It almost seemed to be toying with him.

When he reached the end of the tunnel he channeled arcane energy into his right hand, ready to leash a bolt of power at a moment's notice should anything unexpected happen. He could feel the arcane energy was not too far from where he was now. An optimist would hope for things to settle peacefully, without any dispute, but Ryze knew better....

{{ I assume that Jake is nearby when Ryze exits the tunnel? }}

freAK47

07-20-2014

((Yes,, about 150-200 feet away.))

Jake put his hands up as Ryze exited the tunnel, a grimace on his face. "I would really not like to test my strength against a champion." From that distance, it would appear that he was just a warrior in plate mail, through it appeaered to have gone through more use then a demacian battalion: all the armor and leather beneath it were blackened and partially burned, some pieces of steel were even replaced. His chest plate didn't match the rest of the design, and it had heavy scarring around its edges. It looked like a shield that was strapped on as a piece of armor. But it had an odd feeling. The chestplate gave off energy similar to that of a Banshee's veil. Upon closer inspection...there was no leather beneath the suit. And the suit of metal wasn't strapped on. It was growing from his skin.

Jake kept his distance, hands out in a gesture of good intentions, no weapons visible on his person. "My name is Jake. I'm guessing I'm the one your looking for. I just want to talk."

AsktheThornmage

07-20-2014

Quote:
freAK47:
((Yes,, about 150-200 feet away.))

Jake put his hands up as Ryze exited the tunnel, a grimace on his face. "I would really not like to test my strength against a champion." From that distance, it would appear that he was just a warrior in plate mail, through it appeaered to have gone through more use then a demacian battalion: all the armor and leather beneath it were blackened and partially burned, some pieces of steel were even replaced. His chest plate didn't match the rest of the design, and it had heavy scarring around its edges. It looked like a shield that was strapped on as a piece of armor. But it had an odd feeling. The chestplate gave off energy similar to that of a Banshee's veil. Upon closer inspection...there was no leather beneath the suit. And the suit of metal wasn't strapped on. It was growing from his skin.

Jake kept his distance, hands out in a gesture of good intentions, no weapons visible on his person. "My name is Jake. I'm guessing I'm the one your looking for. I just want to talk."

Ryze glared at Jake as he approached, but did not lower his guard. He noted the armor but felt the magical aura emanating from the chestplate in particular - it was indeed similar to a Banshee's Veil, but how was that possible? The League did not allow anything from the Fields of Justice to be accessible to the public, especially relics as powerful as one meant to reduce the effects of magic as that one. His gaze was full of scrutiny and distrust despite Jake's words attempting to convince him otherwise, but that was simply just how Ryze was.

"Just to talk? Then how about you explain just what the hell's going on down there? Or better yet, tell me, does the High Council know about the Nexus you seem to possess?"