Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Ask the Rogue Mage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XxNyanGoesBoomxX

09-29-2014

Quote:
AsktheThornmage:
Liba is 2srs and Ryze gets a bit ticked qq

(Kind of. It's still in the works with images, but here's what I have so far. http://summoners.shurelia.com/profiles/4805 (http://summoners.shurelia.com/profiles/4805)
On another note, this is twice now I've only missed you by an hour. T~T)

Liba easily hides how flustered she is with a charming little giggle, clearly one she has practiced for a while - only further expressing how shy she really was, her gaze sharpening with a wit previously kept contained.
"Hehe. If that's how you'd like it, it's fine by me. Though if you really do give me permission to relax, I can't say for sure what could go wrong. Your question ties into this nicely actually..."
She gives a little sigh herself, tilting her head as she muses and closes her eyes, propping her head in her hands.
"I came because I believe only a thorn-mage can help me realize my full potential at this point. I've only cast 3 spells in my entire life Ryze; and each was powerful enough to keep me down for days afterward, covered in burns and my lungs refusing every breath. Each time, someone has died... That's not to say that they were undeserving of death, really - they'd taken many lives before that, and were intending to take more, but still-... Ahem... That's part of why my mana levels are so high, I think. Because the costs are high..."
Another blush graces her cheeks, full of shame, along with a small attempt to hide it. She turns to look out the window wistfully, her warm turquoise-green eyes shimmering in the sunlight.
"No one was able to figure out what to do with me. I was desperate when I wrote to you and still am now - the leading Magi at the Academy have deemed me a basket-case with too much power for my own good. They're either going to force me to undergo rites to seal up my mana - which may or may not hold - or sever me from Runeterra entirely."

Her voice wobbles a little as she gives one more sigh, looking up at you now as she summons her strength. You can practically see right through her to the grief locked away behind her eyes, deep wounds in her heart laid bare. With the grief, there is also a flickering fire that never truly died, making her very gaze sting uncomfortably.
"I don't know what my full potential is. And, most of the people I have met never want me to know, for their own sake. To them, I say too bad. I'm not violent. I'm not some kind of mass-murderer pining for an opportunity to hurt people. I'm just a kid who was born with a gift and has been through too much."
The room starts to heat up, like a bonfire was lit beneath the floorboards, and you can see Liba visibly grit her teeth, dribbling her fingers on her knee rapidly. Fluttering orbs of bright green mana shimmer around her finger tips, seeming drawn there - probably intentionally.
"I want to learn magic, Ryze. I want to understand why I exist the way I do, and I want to live a life without the constant grating pain of containment and the anxiety that comes from people who see me as a hapless powder keg with no talent and no hope. I think you're the only one who can relate to that plight, and handle the aftermath..."

As if she'd said too much, her determination suddenly falters and her face flushes bright pink, looking down to twiddle with the beads on her bag. "O-Oh yeah... And, um... sitting close to the ground keeps my mana from doing stuff without me... That might sound silly but it almost seems to have a mind of its own sometimes..."

AsktheThornmage

09-29-2014

Quote:
XxNyanGoesBoomxX:
Good. Good. I like profiles.

Ryze listened to Liba's speech with an expression devoid of any real emotion. If anything, he appeared to be scrutinizing her and judging her words very carefully almost as if he was considering her eligibility to be spared a horrible fate. After all, he despised any mages who misused magic - either in the pursuit of power for power's sake or just to cause misery and pain to others. Regardless, he found her story to be rather sympathetic. Pitiable, really. Here he had a girl who, through her entire life, had been cursed with an unimaginable gift for magic that caused others to fear or even outright dislike her. His suspicions had not been fully quelled, mind you, but he was now receptive to her plight.

"I see. You do appear very distraught by your circumstances, and I'm sure that if you had gone to any other notable mage you might be in trouble. I personally don't condone the idea of sealing away someone's arcane power unless they deserve it, such as those that would seek to harm or destroy for their own interests..."

He fell to one knee in front of her, then, and placed his free hand on her shoulder as he gave her a stern look that might have been expected from him.

"Look, I'm not really great with other people. In fact, I spent the greater part of my life wandering through Valoran to learn about all the different magics and rituals I possibly could. Even now I know I haven't seen all of them yet, but despite that I do believe that I know more than most others would. Regarding your case, I need to know a bit more. Could you tell me what you've been able to do so far?"

XxNyanGoesBoomxX

09-29-2014

Quote:
AsktheThornmage:
Glad you like it. I'm actually pretty new to these forums. Been a while since I was involved in a whole roleplaying community like this.
Also, in fair warning: Incoming wall of text, oops...

Liba fiddles with her bag a few moments more, eventually lifting her head to get the full weight of his words, trying to read his expression and body language in fear of his judgement. Even if her words were true and she lived an honest life, she'd now put herself before a being of incredible power; and she knew full well that measuring up poorly could easily have severe consiquences.
Thus when Ryze approaches her, she tenses and tries to size him up, the temperature in the room flaring up for an instant while she searches his empty gaze for some implication toward his intentions, though without flinching back or recoiling.
Surprisingly, his hand on her shoulder seems to have an over-all calming effect on the young mage, who quickly begins to relax moreso than before, the room's temperature returning to normal. The source of the heat below dissipates and flows back to her as he speaks, trickling across the floorboards to creep up her spine. As nervous as she was this whole time, now she seems content to find peace somewhere at last, left doe-eyed and complacent, nodding at his words.
"Well... Alright..."
Liba spaces out for a moment or two before she begins, scratching her jaw thoughtfully, looking down and past his tome.
"It's hard to remember exactly what happens during those moments. There's just-... so much energy that it's incredibly easy to get lost in it - like I was swallowed up, but not consumed or something like that. I guess a better way to describe it is, I feel less like I'm turning mana into something - like fire or ice - and telling it to do something... It's more like, what I feel aligns with the mana's purpose, and we both move with an-... incredible force. I don't remember anything past that until after the spell wears off. It was like fainting and waking slowly to the feeling you've been mortally wounded, and you're going to die."
This whole time Liba keeps her gaze elsewhere, like she's trying to avoid his, and keeps glancing back at him to glean what she can from his expression.
"The only times it's happened were when people I cared about were in danger. I forgot all about the threat to my life; the angrier I got the more I could feel - not just hear, but feel - some kind of voice echo from deep beneath my feet and in my heart, outraged at what I was seeing. It was like we both got angrier and angrier, until we could take it no more and had to inflict the punishment they deserved for doing such senseless, cruel things... It's a very-.. unnerving feeling, like your body stops belonging to you long enough to kill someone."
She licks her lips nervously, staring off into space with a tormented look, blinking away tears it seems.
"....Found out later the guy that we killed had a huge family. They were just as nasty as he was really, but for some reason when I looked at his son I thought of how everyone else where I was from had their fathers taken away too, and that's why they were so cruel... ...I guess I never really got over it. My friend lived, but I almost didn't. .... Never used it since..."

Shaking her head clear, Liba clears her throat and rubs her cheek and temples, squeezing her eyes shut.
"Since then even basic spells are hard. It's not that I can't tell the mana what to do - it just refuses to do it, like it has a mind of its own."

AsktheThornmage

09-29-2014

Quote:
XxNyanGoesBoomxX:
Wow, just wow.

Much to Liba's possible relief, she would notice Ryze's expression grow softer as her explanation went on. His features went from rigid and stern to more sullen but sagely. It was as if he were an instructor who was listening to his pupil's worries, his role being that of helping his student conquer their fears. One could say what they would about Ryze, but he was indubitably attentive to what he was told and by the end of her story the girl would find him to be almost supportive of her as he nodded his head slowly.

"I see. I understand your situation a bit better now. It's clear that you're not fully in control of your power, you even seem to fear it to a degree. That's reasonable. Even I can't deny that I'm afraid of my own power, dreadful of my own capabilities. But that's exactly what makes magic wonderful: when we can pour our own feelings into the arcane force..."

His lips curled into a small, but sincere, smile as he moved his free hand from her shoulder to instead bring it between them. With his palm facing upwards and his fingers curled slightly inward, he proceeded to generate a bluish sphere of crackling energy the size of an egg without any hint of difficulty.

"You see, magic does possess a life of its own. It contributes to our world and enriches a great deal of what we know and cherish. Its nature is that of a force of change, both for the better and for the worse. You see, what those self-absorbed scholars and archmages won't tell you is to respect and embrace magic. Power is about more than just having the right components and properly delivering incantations, it's about bonding with and living in tandem with the magical forces around us. And that's not something that can be taught, it has to be experienced. YOU have to experience that and define it for yourself..."

At the end he stood up but did not retract his hand, instead he kept it held down towards Liba as an invitation to join him in standing. The small sphere of magical energy had dissipated, of course.

XxNyanGoesBoomxX

09-30-2014

Quote:
AsktheThornmage:

At the end he stood up but did not retract his hand, instead he kept it held down towards Liba as an invitation to join him in standing. The small sphere of magical energy had dissipated, of course.

(Lmao! Like the old buzzer trick... "Go on and touch it. It won't shock you, I promise. &quot

She gives a quiet sigh as Ryze remarks on her lack of control, like she'd heard that plenty of times before and entirely expected to hear it again. You could suppose she's heard it all too often, given her complete surprise at what the Thorn-mage says next... Completely baffled, she has to look him over as if to make sure he was actually there, with an irate, vaulnerable expression. It takes a few moments for his words to fully sink in for Liba; though as they do, the defensiveness quickly melts away into a look of sheer awe - with even a touch of trust and affection.

More and more, to look in her eyes was like looking into the heart of a small child: naive, tender, sincere, and loving, both incredibly fragile and resilient at once; the kind of look that asks to be led, asking to be shown the way through a frightening and complex new world, looking into his eyes as if hoping to see the soul within. Fortunately, the moment doesn't last long as she turns her attention to the orb in his palm with fascination, hugging her bag in her lap a little tighter with a grin slowly growing on her face. Should the orb spark especially bright, it actually startles her, making her flinch back with a whimper that turns into hushed little giggles.
Discernibly curious about the orb, little tendrils of mana - obviously connected to Liba in some way, though agreeably separate - drift up and reach out to it slowly, distracting Liba long enough for her to shoo them away, where they disperse and become complacent, ambient mana.

As he goes on, the young caster nods vigorously in agreement, wiping hot tears from her face with a smile.
"I knew it... No matter what I said, they kept telling me that my magic couldn't be conscious and there was something wrong with me inside; and even that your wisdom was best kept for people like you, who are "driven and disciplined," like I wasn't. I can't believe they had the nerve to keep me away from you, and just take my power away instead..!"
She moves to take your hand, moving her bag to stand - then stops.
"I-... But... What are we supposed to do if I really am connected to something evil..? What if my nature really is dark and vile? Nevermind, don't answer that... I'll cross that bridge when I come to it..."
Shaking her head at herself, Liba takes his hand.
"Thank you, Ryze. Thank you."

((Edit: Oh man, all this wasn't supposed to come out so quickly. I was expecting a long discussion between Ryze and Liba, not Ryze forcing her to come clean so quickly. Ermahgerd. Lmfao, I'm so sorry. I ended up throwing a ton of dialogue at you, but I didn't want to break character. X'D))

AsktheThornmage

10-05-2014

{{ Hey Liba, get ready to continue our exchange over here (http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/roleplaying) from now on. }}

XxNyanGoesBoomxX

10-05-2014

((Alright, sure thing! Not too sure how you'd like to pick this back up, so I'll wait for you to re-introduce Liba however you'd like.))

AsktheThornmage

10-05-2014

{{Actually, could you copy+paste your last reply to my thread over there and we can continue on like that? }}

XxNyanGoesBoomxX

10-05-2014

((Done. ))