[Guide] Raping face with Karthus.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ayngel

08-16-2009

wanted to add my own 2c. I play karthas very similar to this, using Q to harass early, coupled with wall, if anyone overextends early, they're dead meat. get used to leading people just a little bit so they run through it and bam. I also tend to max Q and wall early, leaving the death aura skill to late game, the reason being that while is powerful, it also requires you to get into the fray, and you're slower than average, and squishy. Early/mid game I find that i have much more survivability and kills if i go with Q and wall and stay at range.

The one part i disagree with is the items (but only slightly). This is my build:

1. dorans + hp pot
2. depending on if i'm getting harassed (not likely) sorc boots, otherwise straight for tear.
3. tear or boots, depending on which i got for #2.
4. archangel's staff

at this point you've got solid AP, and probably starting to get deep into mid game, when taking the aura is going to change your play style, its with that in mind that

5. frozen heart

never underestimate the armor bonus, even on a caster. With this armor bonus you can stand toe to toe with many heros for a lot longer than they expect. It's at this point that you can turn on E, drop a wall on someones head (-resist) and spam Q on top of them point blank. Unless they're incredibly jacked, or high lifesteal, this will win almost every 1v1, because the double damage bonus from your Q skill makes it a beast.

6. zhonya's

at this point it's really up to you what to do, you've got around 350 (iirc) AP, and 175 armor (about 65% resist). Your Q does over 200 dmg, more if solo shot, E is ticking for well over 150 (iirc) and you're a killing machine.

I personally feel the biggest strength this build has is the early/mid harass from spamming Q till your eyes bleed, and getting a few kills on the way. Just when the enemy melee think they've got you figured out, you grab a heart and a whopping 110 armor, turn on E, which you've been neglecting to this point, and really start to melt some faces.

Critical Error

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-16-2009

I play Karthus almost exclusively when Im not in the mood to try out a new champ.

I myself tried sunfire very early, but I realized it was a no go. First, the damage might seem nice, but it only matters if you bother to get yourself in the fray even more than you need with defile, or if they have a lot of melee. If the latter is true then it still isnt worth it for these reasons:

-the amount of HP it gives does not make up for his squishiness, frozen hearts massive AC and AS debuff is a nicer boost Ive found.
-The aura only works on melee heroes pretty much, as most else will dodge getting that close typically.
-The item doesnt synergize as well as frozen heart with his other items, namely archangel.
-due to this lack of synergy his other spells are weaker.
-When Karthus dies, Im pretty sure the aura doesnt remain, though you can turn on defile and his other spells. Each hitting harder due to a frozen heart.

Next, you start with a Doran's. I personally am against this item. Sure all the stats on it are useful, but it doesnt build up, so youre basically like 400ish down from your true first item. I always like to go either boots first with a health/mana pot if I know I can harass the **** out of them early. Or I go tome early, then build it into a Kage's asap. The Kage's is m preferred build. Karthus is already great at farming cash. Kage's gives you more firepower to last hit and harass early, while also increasing your farm significantly if you give it a normal game's time.

Now, the next point is a bit iffy. I personally stay away from that skill build, though I understand its merits. I get lay waste at lvl 1, but I go defile at lvl 2. The mana regen from defile will tremednously increase your farm and harass for early game. Lay Waste is extremely low mana, but it is so spammy, that you can still mana dump very early if you dont mix in creep kills with your lay wastes. Each lvl of defile you put in will give you way more laning power. My typical build is L/D/L/W/L/U--then I try to keep Defile a rank or 2 behind Lay Waste otherwise you start to run OOM. This build does change a bit if Im not planning on trying for early kills but rather tower destroying/mass pushing (either Im with a Soraka mana feeding me, or Im against someone who is too much a pain in the ass to harass like Teemo with speed), as I skip out wall until I have 4 ranks of waste and 3 or so of Defile. This latter build allows you to really mow down creeps and keep the pressure on since defile at a same or similar level to lay waste refunds a mass amount of mana.

Also, last point about items. While I do often get aby scept, I dont recommend it in ever game. If you really dont need the MR it provides, there are better items to get. Go for a RoA or start a Z ring, or more likely, get a frozen heart as you are likely fighting a phys dps focused team. Either way, those items will give you more bang for your buck since the aura is nice, but not crazy enough to beat out the mana/hp on RoA or the mass AP of Z ring.

FiRe2

08-16-2009

The problem is you got sunfire cape really early, as I stated it's dependant on if you need it or not against melee carries that will cut you apart, so you getting it early is flawed. Your skill/item build are your personal preference though, I find no problems at all with mine, frozen heart is indeed a nice defense item, as I stated, that is one of the optional items to get if you need it.

dolvlo

08-18-2009

can someone please change this thread title from "Raping" to something else?

Rape is a really offensive word to most people, and it is NOT okay to talk about rape in a joking/ironic manner.

SCV

08-18-2009

1 way to beat karthus. Get 4000+ hp. Honestly. His movement speed + his aura and lay waste can wreck anyone with 2000< health.

edit; RAPE RAPE RAPE

Shizz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolvlo View Post
can someone please change this thread title from "Raping" to something else?

Rape is a really offensive word to most people, and it is NOT okay to talk about rape in a joking/ironic manner.
New to online gaming are we? Raping someone is pretty much the equivalent of pwning someone in the online gaming world. None of us gamers take it to mean what it means in the real world.

OneManWar

08-18-2009

Why are people so offended by words?

****, piss, ****, ****, **********, mother****er and ****. (and rape now)

Those dirty words. They're just words, people place way too much importance in them. Stop being offended by words like that. Be more offended by ACTUAL rape going on in the world, be offended by murder, be offended by people starving, treating others like animals. Be offended by war, by taxes, by corrupt goverments...

|Forget being offended by a word, there's much more to life than that.

Sythion

08-19-2009

tear first
max defile before wall 2?

add **** somewhere in the post title. "**** raping face with Karthsus" is my suggestion, but you can mix it up as you see fit.

Slīck

08-19-2009

I can see how people can get offended if they have actually been affected by a rape crime. Still, it's the internet, people will rub salt in your wound if you don't thicken your skin and brush off these things. Just wait until release!

Btw, incoming nerf bat!

Spoogee

08-19-2009

Good guide, i'll definitely play around with Karthus a bit. And in my opinion, if you wanna say rape face, go for it! I believe that the game is at least rated T, the kiddies shouldn't be here to see it anyway.