Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How does hidden elo and ranked work?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShiroHigu

06-24-2014

I've been level 30 for a good while now and I'm just now starting ranked. So far I've won 2/5 of my games and it seems I either win hard or lose hard.

I figure I'll probably be placed in bronze, but I'm noticing I've faced absolutely nothing but silver players. I lolkinged my matches and literally the lowest ranked player I've seen so far was Silver 5. Does this mean I might place into silver thanks to my hidden mmr or will I most likely be placed in bronze due to my low win percentage?

OhBoyItsaMegaman

06-24-2014

You have two separate MMR values for ranked and normal. They reason you're seeing extremely swingy matches is because the system is throwing all the brand new ranked players together. There could be people who barely have a grasp on the basics and other people who have years and years of experience, and they all have around the same default MMR that you do since you also just started. The games should be less random as you finish placements and matchmaking has a better idea of where you belong skill wise based on your record.

When looking people up on lolking, you have to remember that Division does not necessarily match MMR, especially for Silver V! You cannot be demoted to Bronze unless your MMR sinks very low, so there are countless players who were placed in Silver due to luck but only function at a Bronze III or IV level. They are Silver in name only; they get matched up with Bronze III players and routinely go 50-50 W/L without rising back up.

ShiroHigu

06-24-2014

Quote:
OhBoyItsaMegaman:
You have two separate MMR values for ranked and normal. They reason you're seeing extremely swingy matches is because the system is throwing all the brand new ranked players together. There could be people who barely have a grasp on the basics and other people who have years and years of experience, and they all have around the same default MMR that you do since you also just started. The games should be less random as you finish placements and matchmaking has a better idea of where you belong skill wise based on your record.

When looking people up on lolking, you have to remember that Division does not necessarily match MMR, especially for Silver V! You cannot be demoted to Bronze unless your MMR sinks very low, so there are countless players who were placed in Silver due to luck but only function at a Bronze III or IV level. They are Silver in name only; they get matched up with Bronze III players and routinely go 50-50 W/L without rising back up.

Ah that makes sense. I did find it odd I'd go 9/0/1 in one game, then 0/5/0 the next with the same champion.

The main reason I'm confused is because I've seen a lot of silver players, up to Silver III. I haven't seen a single Bronze I or lower yet. So I don't know if this is due to my hidden mmr or if it means absolutely nothing.

Zerglinglol

06-24-2014

If you're facing mostly silvers in your placements it means the game wants to place you silver. When I did my first placements ever, back mid-season 3, I went 4-6 and landed silver V. So you probably just need to win a couple more and you can avoid the dreaded bronze league (j/k low silver and bronze are synonymous)