Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Good support/ganking champion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlessedHeritic

06-23-2014

I just got this game yesterday and an enjoying it. I am a DotA vet (Granted I stopped years ago). So seeing as I have to "Buy" champions (I will not be spending actual money though) I wanted to get a feel for some champions that would fit my play-style.

For me, I very much prefer support and ganking champions. Generally they would have some passive "Aura's" and a stun/slow etc. For those familiar with DOTA, my main heroes were Crystal Maiden and Priestess of the Moon (Support build).

And advice on good champions to unlock?

Forced Hysteria

06-23-2014

You sound like you would definitely love the Leona game play:

She Tanky
Stun MACHINE!
Can carry teams through plays
Moderate skill cap ~ it will take a few games but you will get her feel

Another champion you might like is Lulu:

Safe pick for a defensive laning phase
Is more reactive then active champion
has a 70% slow
A polymorph (capicitates)
A knock up plus a guardian angel ultimate
Just to name 2 =)

MystVearn

06-23-2014

Definitely Leona:

Leona is a great support, an excellent support, provided you learn to deal with Morgana, but she was originally concived as a Jungler, this makes her kit very good for roaming mid and ganking it.

A lot of resistances and a lot of cc, you can easily get your ADC a double kill and go roam mid.

I haven't play lulu so much, but i love her kit, and though she is not used that often as support this days, I am of the opinion that she is the best support if not the more versatile, but sadly i cannot say anything about her ganking potential, but her kit is promising, lulu is hard to master though.

Another champion that I can recommend is Braum, also very tanky like leona, and his kit can procure lots of kills if used correctly, if you can land your Q(collision skill) a lane gank is almost guaranteed, the only problem is Braum is banned more often than not in Draft, but it is a support that is worth learning

Since most supports are initiators, you can try to gank with pretty much any of them, but i think this two, have an easy time doing it.

Matthias9119

06-23-2014

Quote:
For me, I very much prefer support and ganking champions. Generally they would have some passive "Aura's" and a stun/slow etc. For those familiar with DOTA, my main heroes were Crystal Maiden and Priestess of the Moon (Support build).

Man, DOTA heroes have some insane abilities. 15s global stealth for your team? Nothing like that in League.

Sona and Taric both have beneficial auras and a stun (Taric has a single target ranged stun, Sona's ult is a short ranged area stun). Janna gives nearby champions an MS buff. Several other supports can buff/shield allies, but not passively.

Priestess of the Moon looks like sort of a cross between Ashe and Soraka, but as I mentioned there's nothing like her ult in League. Crystal Maiden seems a bit like Lissandra or Anivia, but neither of them are usually supports!

Kroup

06-23-2014

Nami is free right now and she's one of the best supports in the game, you should go try her now before the new rotation to see if you like her.

PIXLCAT

06-23-2014

Leona! Just like everyone else said! She can make plays and lock down enemies. If you don't like her, Thresh is ****ing awesome too.

Kaytree

06-24-2014

Nami is a great champion you might enjoy; she has a snare and a slow, a heal, and an ult that is great for disengaging or engaging in teamfights.

Cat Eyed Liar

06-24-2014

Sona is a giant aura bot, including AD/AP buffs, a heal, and a speed-up that comes with a slow when proc'd with her passive. Her ultimate's a giant AoE stun.

BlessedHeritic

06-24-2014

Quote:
Kroup:
Nami is free right now and she's one of the best supports in the game, you should go try her now before the new rotation to see if you like her.

This begs another question. When you say she is "Free", that means I can use her, without using IP, for a certain amount a time after which is she is again unavailable unless purchased? Once purchased obviously they are always available.

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Millea

06-24-2014

Quote:
This begs another question. When you say she is "Free", that means I can use her, without using IP, for a certain amount a time after which is she is again unavailable unless purchased?

Yes.

Quote:
Riot provides 10 free champions at all times. These champions are selected to give a balanced selection of all roles on a team. Once a week (usually on Tuesday) these champions are rotated. This is to give you an opportunity to play many different champions. If you find one that you really enjoy playing, you can unlock them using IP (earned free in game) or RP (purchased with real money) and they will be permanently available to you.