Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Sylian's Top Lane Tier List

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HaIfhearted

08-21-2014

Why was Zyra moved out of tier 1?

She is probably the most desired (and banned) general mage pick, has very high damage output, good cc, strong utility, and requires next to no skill to be effective with due to plants playing the game for you.

She also has a lot of flexibility with build paths.

SylianEUW

08-21-2014

Because the definition of tier 1 changed to "OP champions that should get map specific nerfs". I agree that Zyra is one of the best mages on the map, and she's very, very high tier 2, but she barely clings on to tier 2. Wukong is a similar case, one of the best bruisers around, yet not quite strong enough that I want to encourage further map specific nerfs.

Koravel

08-21-2014

Zyra is the strongest mage on the map for toplane, especially in coordinated teamplay, needs map-specific nerfs and is most certainly tier 1.

Fizz is the only champion that rivals Zyra as far as how valuable he is, and his value is solely for his ability to blow things up. In a tournament or draft setting, Zyra would be prioritized over Fizz for most setups.

SylianEUW

08-21-2014

You consider Zyra stronger than Karma for blind pick normals? And yes, it's possible that she's still tier 1. She's quite a burden to face, with good damage, plants that zone well and deal lots of damage, and a great ultimate for teamfights. She's less mobile than Karma/Fizz though.

Koravel

08-21-2014

Karma is nowhere near Zyra's strength when Zyra is played to her fullest potential, so yes I think Zyra >>> Karma.

Don't get me wrong, Karma is very strong, and if you put a decent player on Karma and a decent one on Zyra, I'd be more afraid of the Karma player. Karma is a cinch to play and requires next to no skill to do well. Zyra, otoh, has quite a bit of difference between a good one and a bad one.

A really good Zyra player is an absolute nightmare to deal with. There are reasons we do not let certain people ever get their hands on Zyra.

SylianEUW

08-21-2014

It's fully possible that you're right, and that I simply haven't seen enough Zyra's played at high enough level. I do agree that I'm more worried if some random in the enemy team plays Karma than Zyra. But it's not like I can ask enemy Zyra player to suddenly become really strong... I do have her in high tier 2 anyway.

I'll ask some NA players and some other EUW players what they thing about Zyra, and whether she's OP enough to warrant map specific nerfs, and we'll see what they say. I'll decide on whether she's tier 2 or tier 1 based on that.

Also, how is Rengar these days? I've personally not been impressed with him in a long time, but other people seem to think he's good. Did the ultimate hurt nerf him enough to drop him to tier 3?

SylianEUW

08-31-2014

So, I've been postponing the update since I've had several things I wanted to test, and I didn't want to update until I've tested most of them, since that way I could get one big update. However, I figured it's better to just update and update later if needed, so that's what I'm going to do.

Some champions will be split into different categories.

Leona moved down to tier 2 from tier 1. Remember, tier 1 means that a champion is OP. The map specific nerfs actually hit her quite a bit, making her more in tune with other tanks and less OP. She's high tier 2 and definitely a strong champion still, but she's not OP/OP enough to really warrant tier 1 status. High tier 2 status is better for balance anyway.

Jarvan IV moved down to tier 2 from tier 1. Map specific nerfs, and he wasn't terribly OP to begin with. Still high tier 2, still very good, not quite the beast he used to be. More around Wukong and Pantheon level now.

Lee Sin moved up to tier 2 from tier 3. I'm really not sure whether he fits better in low tier 2 or high tier 3. I'm leaning towards low tier 2. His mobility is still really good, and he can still duel fairly well. I might move him down to high tier 3 at some point, but for now I'm going to leave him in low tier 2. He's a borderline case.

Kassadin moved down to tier 3 from tier 2. 20 seconds before his ultimate stacks are gone really hurt his mobility, and he wasn't that strong even before that.

Katarina moved down to tier 3 from tier 2. Katarina is an interesting case. She's the kind of champion that will dominate with and against certain comps, yet will be very weak with and against other comps. This makes her a very risky pick in solo queue, more so than most other assassins, and I feel that she thus deserves to be high tier 3 over tier 2. If done right versus certain comps, she's really scary, but she'll do very little against other comps. Picking Katarina in blind pick is risky. Also, the Blackfire Torch nerf somewhat hurt her.

LeBlanc moved down to tier 3 from tier 2. This might be because most players are bad with her. She's also noticably weaker, though. Since she lost her silence, she lost so much of her power. And with the recent Blackfire Torch nerf, she lost even more power. At this point, she struggles against champions that can burst her back before she finishes her combo, and she also struggles against tanky champions due to her lack of a silence. She's very good at bursting cc-less squishies, though. I might change my mind and move her back to tier 2 at some point, but the vast majority of LeBlancs make her seem more like a tier 3 champion than a tier 2 champion. She's probably tier 2 in the hands of a Diamond 1 LeBlanc player. For most regular players, LeBlanc is probably more of a tier 3 champion.

Ashe (CDR) created and moved up to tier 2 from tier 3. It turns out max CDR Ashe (AD caster) with Ghostblade and Last Whisper is actually quite good. You max W>Q>E, bring Exhaust and Flash, and kite a lot. She deals considerable amounts of damage, has a global stun, good burst with the crit from her passive together with Pillager, and is overall stronger than most people give her credit for. However, ADC (AD Carry) Ashe, when built Phantom Dancer and no CDR, is not very good. Thus the CDR build will be tier 2, when the no-CDR ADC build will be tier 4. Without the CDR she tends to get caught much more easily.

Ashe (ADC) created and moved down to tier 4 from tier 3. ADC Ashe struggles without the CDR to poke properly. Her cooldowns are much longer and she won't get to use that utility nearly as much, and unless she has good peel from her team she risks getting bursted much more than CDR Ashe.

Lulu (Blue) created and moved up to tier 2. Turns out there is a Lulu build that works fairly well. Manamune, some tanky mana item (such as Frozen Heart or Odyn's), Archangel's. Get CDR, get tanky, and do damage with Muramana procs. This build has solid damage, pretty good bulk, and it makes use of Lulu's good utility.

Lulu (AP) created and stays in tier 3. This is basically every other Lulu build. My reasoning for moving her down to tier 3 in the first place stands, the Blue Lulu build is the best way to build her, probably.

Varus (ADC) created and moved down to tier 3 from tier 2. The Varus in tier 2 is CDR Varus, regular ADC Varus is around regular ADC level.

Varus (CDR) created and stays in tier 2.

Jinx (ADC) created and moved down to tier 3 from tier 2.

Jinx (CDR) created and stays in tier 2.

Ezreal (AD, AP, Blue) note added to clarify that he can be played many ways, and many are still tier 2. Tank probably isn't, though.

SylianEUW

09-25-2014

Time for some changes. Other might come up in a week or two as well, but I need some more time to evaluate them. Before I start, I should remind you that tier 1 means that the champion works really well in Blind pick. A champion that's good against some comps and bad against others is more likely to be high tier 2 than tier 1, unless it's really overpowered.

Alistar moved down to tier 2 from tier 1. The nerf from a few patches ago to his ability to W + autoattack hurt him more than I expected it too, and his general usefulness is not as high as it used to be. He pairs very well with Yasuo though, and is quite good for dealing with assassins and other melee champions such as Vi or Riven. High tier 2.

Talon moved down to tier 2 from tier 1. He might even be tier 3 without the silence, but I'll put him in tier 2 for now. Losing his silence means that he's much easier to counterplay, and if the enemy he dives has an escape or some really good single target cc, Talon might be in trouble.

Yasuo moved down to tier 2 from tier 1. He's too situational to really be tier 1. With a team built around him, he's probably tier 1, but without he's much weaker.

Cassiopeia moved down to tier 4 from tier 2. The rework hurt her quite a bit, forcing her to invest heavily in mana/mana regen in order to not run out of mana all the time, and it takes quite a while to really get those passive stacks. Her overall stats tend to be weaker too. With that being said, she could potentially be tier 3. If anyone makes her work, tell me and I'll consider moving her up to tier 3. For now, I'll put her in tier 4.

LeBlanc moved up to tier 2 from tier 3. She got some pretty strong buff this patch that will make her a lot safer and harder to deal with. The Talon nerf also means that she'll be able to deal with him much better.

Three other changes: I'm removing the mention of RCIX and Sauron, since their tier lists are no longer updated and haven't been for a while. I'm also removing the mention of a possible tier above tier 1, right now no champion is even close to a hypothetical tier 0, which is a good thing. I'm also updating my credentials to be more specific.

Some champions that I will re-evaluate: Maokai (he got nerfed), Soraka (she got reworked), Garen (he got buffed), Viktor (rework, not sure if I'll play him myself, maybe I'll ask people to try him for me), and Hecarim (he might be tier 3).

It's important to remember that this tier list is mainly for Blind pick Normals. In a tournament setting, Leona would generally be rated above Rammus, since Rammus is less effective vs an organized team that uses voice-chat, while Leona's teamwork abilities are quite strong.

Edit: I decided to do some more changes in the first post in general, shortened it down a bit, and changed the definition of tier 1.

From: Champions that are overpowered to some degree. Will fit well into many comps and do well against many comps.

To: Generally overpowered in Blind Pick. Will fit well into most comps and do well against many comps.

Edit: Due to the Tristana ulti CD nerf, I doubt many people will consider AP Tristana anymore. I therefore just list her as a whole in tier 4, instead of specifying that it's both AP and AD in tier 4.

SylianEUW

10-05-2014

I'm going to evaluate Braum next.

Also, even if this forum dies I'll keep updating the list on EUW. The thread can be found here: http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1781788