Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

When to start PvP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BWFeuntaco

06-21-2014

I've been playing league for a week now and im starting to get the hang of it. I'm doing well in coop vs AI and its kinda getting too easy. However, I feel PvP will be another level. I don't really now how to ward or more advanced things yet. Should I practice more before I start PvP? BTW, really like Warwick/jungler but no one else seems to. Is he a bad choice?

Cat Eyed Liar

06-21-2014

Start ASAP. The longer you play bots, the more bad habits you'll pick up, because even intermediate bot behavior is absolutely nothing like human behavior. Not saying that bot games are bad, but limit them to just CS practicing or learning a champions' spells, and do not make your total games consist of anything more than 20% bot games.

You can find some video tutorials about warding, and I'd also recommend looking up "Shurelia's zone control," because it gives a good overview of what you should be aware of as a champion when you are trying to zone people out and gain an advantage in lane. It's dated, but the concept is 100% the same.

Warwick jungle is perfectly fine, and in fact he's one of the few junglers who don't need Tier 2 runes and lots of mastery points to be able to jungle. I'd also suggest looking up a rather recent guide to jungling (it should include the big White Wraith near Blue, otherwise it's too old).

OhBoyItsaMegaman

06-21-2014

Basically, whenever you start PvP it's going to be unpleasant. Practicing on bots will give you a little familiarity with the game but there's no substitute for going up against actual humans.

You have a hidden value on your account called MMR (Matchmaking Rating). This starts at some base value depending on how experienced you claimed to be when you logged in for the first time. When you queue up for a match, you're going to be put in a game with players who are around your level and around your MMR. As you play games, that value will go up when you win and down when you lose.

Many, many, many low level accounts are "smurf" accounts being played by people who already have a lot of experience with the game... and some of them say that they're a "beginner" at the start so that they can play against people who are still brand new. These players will typically win a good 18 or 19 out of their first 20 games. You have very little hope of beating an experienced smurf when you're first starting out. After you've played a few dozen games (and likely lost the majority of them), your MMR should decrease to a point where you won't run into many smurfs anymore. This is an unavoidable hurdle; you can either get through it now or play bots for a few months and then have to go through it anyway at level 25 or whatever. But no matter what, you're going to be worse than the game expects when you start PvP and you're going to go through a period of losses until your MMR is reduced to an appropriate level.

People on your team may get mad and rage at you if you don't do well. If your plan is to practice bots until you're good enough that that won't happen to you, I have some bad news: no matter how good you get, people will find a reason to get mad and rage at you. It would be a good idea to just get used to the idea that people are going to be disappointed in your performance on a regular basis, even when they're doing worse than you. In fact, especially when they're doing worse than you, because those are the people who are trying their hardest to find someone else to blame.

tl;dr - PvP is for learning. You should go ahead and start PvP as soon as you feel like you know enough about the game that you will learn from the mistakes you make in PvP... and as soon as you are mentally prepared to ignore people who get mad at their teammates.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

06-21-2014

Additional Warwick tips: Warwick is a good jungler for beginners because he gains so much life that he can safely fight camps even without runes and masteries, where other junglers might run out of health and have to recall sooner.

In your match history, I'm seeing a lot of games where you didn't buy boots. Boots are tremendously important. Pick up the basic Boots of Speed nice and early. Upgrade them to Mercury Treads when you have the chance, though not until after you've finished your jungle income item (e.g. Spirit of the Ancient Golem). Or you could get Ninja Tabi instead if you're building Zephyr, because Zephyr already gives you the Unique Passive Tenacity.

You also build Hextech Revolver/Gunblade a few times, which isn't necessary. Warwick's Q (Hungering Strike) is the only ability that gets any benefit from Ability Power or Spell Vamp (and of course, it already heals you substantially even without any Spell Vamp). So you don't to waste any money on AP or Spell Vamp items. If you want to gain more life, Spirit Visage is a good defensive item for that. Or any offensive item with Life Steal.

This Lucian

06-21-2014

I think that Megaman and Eyed have made great points here. For an early player in league of legends, the jungle income item should always be a Spirit Stone Core Item (E.G. Ancient Golem, Elder Lizard, Spectral Wraith). What I would do as a build would be to Get The Spirit stone first, get the boots, and finish ancient golem, followed by blade of the ruined king, frozen mallet, and tank items!

Matthias9119

06-21-2014

Here's *my* advice:

Play co-op up until summoner level 10 or so. This will get some of the smurfs out of the way.

After that you can jump into PvP whenever you want. I'd recommend you not do that until you can beat intermediate bots consistently. Otherwise your first few matches may be really rough. But if you lose a few matches you'll start getting put up against weaker players. And unless you have RTS/MOBA experience your first few matches will be rough anyway. :-)

If you're below level 20 you don't need a dedicated jungler IMO. Many champs will have a hard time with it until you have better runes and masteries. Warwick is one that can jungle at low levels (because he regens so much health), but he'll still clear slowly.

Brisket451

06-21-2014

You should start PvP asap keep in mind:

1. If you lose (and you will) that you should treat it as a learning experience. Did you push all the way to turret only to have someone come through the river and gank you? Did you dive in when it might not have been the best.

2. KDA is not the end all be all stat. Yes kills give gold and assists as well, and getting killed gives the enemy gold, but objectives give gold too, if your team takes dragon the enemy team won't get it at least until it respawns. Also forcing an enemy back means they are not in lane and you can farm without them being in lane (beware since they went back they can buy items and they might be able to get you then)

3. Before level 20 or so it might be common to run a duo top, however before I was level 15 I almost never had a jungler on my team, between 15-20 we sometimes did, from 20-29 we did most of the time and at 30 I always have.

4. Levels 1-29 are about learning the game, no one should expect you to know everything. That is no excuse to do something bad intentionally but errors should be forgiven. Listen to teammates if someone tells you to build an item because of the magic resist to protect from the enemy mid laner then listening is good.

5. Remember it is a game, it is supposed to be fun, so ignore the trolls and realize that it is not you it is their personality.

ShadedWind

06-21-2014

As long as you feel experienced with your character, go ahead. I've also had the hesitance to play PvP, and I'm glad I've finally overcome it. One important thing to know is that PvP can be both easier and harder than AI, mostly because the other player could be experienced, or he could be a reckless tower diver. I personally haven't met any toxic players yet, but I know for a fact that they're out their. Just remain confident in yourself and use champions you've had wins with (Bot games are for practicing new characters, after all). It's just a matter of trying, so just try.

YakkoWackkoAndDo

06-21-2014

Warwick is a fine jungler. He has great sustain, and good ganks post 6. I'd try to learn others eventually, but it's good to work on one champion so you can really master them. Some people don't like him because it takes him awhile to ramp up.

I'd recommend playing PVP as soon as you can. You will not win all of your games. Sometimes it will be your fault, other times your teammates will slip up. Just try to learn as much as you can. Don't be afraid of making mistakes, just try to not repeat them over and over again. If you're concerned about more advanced aspects like warding, camp timers, and stuff like that, check out a jungle guide or watch some streamers. If you're the jungle type, Nightblue3 is a great streamer to watch. Check out some of the links below. I've read the lolpro article, and it really helped me understand the jungle.
Have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAqRYseCJZ4
http://www.lolpro.com/guides/game-play/199-how-to-jungle

CH3Z

06-22-2014

Bots in this game are pointless and are only for learning the basics, such as last hitting and the game's controls. Play against other people asap.