How to play sivir?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lanzelloth

01-20-2011

Maybe I just suck but I haven't been doing well with sivir. I played around 30 games, some are solo, some are 5-man premade.

I start on mid with doran's shield. learn lvl1 boomerang.
and I feel like I always get outharassed because of her short range.
boomerang is easily dodged, also running sideways always guarantee dodging it when it comes back.

When pushing a lane away from a tower I'm unable to 1v1 most heroes even when i pop ulti.
I've yet seen the so called "sivir mismatch" because the opposing team just needs to send 1 person to chase me down and kill me.

In teamfights I learnt not to try focus fire their dps with the rest of my team because of her range. I just hit whoever's on the outermost of the enemies ball and hope that the ricochet hit. But still sometimes I die pretty easily.

What am I doing wrong? I feel like I'm not using her correctly since she's considered to be really great, for both blind and draft mode.
If there's videos/streams of sivir you can link me, that would really help me a lot.

xWounded

01-20-2011

Try meki pendent leading into manamune and your Q pretty much is a small nuke also if they have a skill shot or any tip of harassment skill just skill up your spell shield and you should be relatively fine. When using your boomerang dont make it super obvious that you're going to use it also establish some lane dominance otherwise once they know you're squishy they will keep pushing. Also lead your boomerangs if they have caught on otherwise try to catch them at the end of it that way it hits twice anyways.

Anarchy656

01-20-2011

It was a while ago she was considered amazing, but since they nerfed her range her effectiveness dropped significantly. She is still pretty solid, but really squishy due to her almost having to be in melee to attack. You will have to rely a lot on your team to keep the foes off you.

Subdue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2011

I wrote a very comprehensive guide on Sivir just a little while ago. Hope it helps!

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=451002

lanzelloth

01-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy656 View Post
It was a while ago she was considered amazing, but since they nerfed her range her effectiveness dropped significantly. She is still pretty solid, but really squishy due to her almost having to be in melee to attack. You will have to rely a lot on your team to keep the foes off you.
what was her range before nerfed??

edit:
also I'd like to mention that I did search for 'sivir' but for some reason i get the 'access denied' page

sephofdeath

01-20-2011

search is down

and btw the main damage from sivir is her boomerang and ricochet in team fights. she is easy to play but difficult to master since there are many styles you could play her. dshield is a bad starting item for her. i usually get a ring or meki. then depending on the opposing team, i usually rush bloodrazor or a manume. begin by throwing boomerang at creep when they are lined up coming towards you then autoing with ricochet until you kill all the creeps. PD helps with MS but you usually want red buff or build a mallet for health and slow if you are getting focused and your enemies are running away

i find one of sivir's strengths is through the items she gets from all the money from creep kills. i usually get Q first then E if i get harassed by a caster if not, max W and R when you get it and just get 1 level of E and max it last

lanzelloth

01-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominatius Maxim View Post
I wrote a very comprehensive guide on Sivir just a little while ago. Hope it helps!

great guide.

I used to start with 'regrowth pendant' so it would be easier to get warmogs later, but later I realized I need the extra HP so I started getting doran's shield recently.

I run with teleport and cleanse, but now that I think about it flash might be better, since flashing over walls usually means escape.

I like to switch warmogs for banshee if they have nuke ap damage/ lots of cc

In the beginning when I try to push mid tower, getting ganked by their jungler is a big problem. buying 2 wards early game is out of the question. How do you deal with this?

Also in late game teamfights, do you find yourself standing outside and just attack the nearest target hoping it would ricochet to high priority targets, or go straight in the fray more?

bylobog44

01-20-2011

Here's an excellent guide.

Here is a YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXDN7cRkhx8

There is a lot to digest there, I'm not an expert, but I play Sivir successfully (unranked) but basically there are 2 common builds for Sivir:

Sivir the glass cannon - your favourite boots, chalice for mana, then stack attack items such as bloodthirster (x2 or 3) and Last Whisper. Later you can also add a defensive item such as Starks or Banshee's - but this build is offense first. This build has an advantage in the early to mid game because, early on you hit harder, but you cannot play too aggressive or you die.

Survivable Sivir - your favourite boots, chalice for mana, Warmog's, Atma's, Bloodthirster (x2). This build has an advantage in the mid-to-late game. It takes longer to build but allows you to be more aggressive in team fights and ganks. There is good synergy between Atma's and Warmog's but for any advantage, you have to get them early.

I've played both, the first build is my current favourite. Either way, with your runes, you want to maximize mana regen (glyphs), dodge (seals) and either attack speed or armour penetration (marks).

Summoner's spells - Teleport (this is the best spell for Sivir) and either Flash, Rally, Exhaust or Ghost.

I always start with a Meki Pendent and 2 Health Potions. If you find you are running low on health rather than mana, you can start with a Vampric Scepter, it builds into Bloodthirster anyways. However I prefer Meki (build to either Chalice or Tear of the Goddess) because it allows me to spam BB almost at will.

Tips - this is how I try to play. Sometimes it works, sometimes things go sideways.

Boomerang Blade is useful for more than just harassing enemy champions. Once you level up a couple of times, it can erase an entire line of creeps in one shot. While you are pushing a tower and the next wave of enemy minions comes up (in a nice straight line) hit them with BB while you continue to auto-attack the tower. It prevents them from killing your creeps and gives you a few more hits at the tower before you have to retreat.

When trying to hit enemy champions. Observe their pattern of movement. Look for that minion they are ready to last hit and anticipate their movement. If you hit them on the way out and they dodge left, move in the same direction and, since the blade will return to your new position, you can hit them twice. That is often enough to send a low level champion back to hug his tower. If they are just out of range, throw the blade and then move forward; it extends the range of the shot. If they are moving sideways - try to lead them.

Ricochet is also good for more than farming. If a champion is just out of your ricochet range, toggle on ricochet and target the closest minion to him. The bounce range for ricochet is relative to the position of the initial hit, not your position.

Your spell shield (E) is the most difficult skill to use, and often the most frustrating for your enemy. Imagine you're Blitzcrank, and you are waiting for Sivir to come into range so you can Rocket Grab and kill her. Just as you pop your big move, her spell shield goes up, your grab is foiled, she gets more mana and follows it up with a BB. Watch your opponent's patterns and use your positioning to bait them into attacks that waste their mana and can be blocked with you shield. Most spells that are not Area of Effect, can be blocked by Sivir's SS. Be careful of enemies with burst combos. Your shield will only stop the first one.

Your ultimate (R), or On the Hunt, should be used anytime you are pushing a tower as it increases your attack speed and reduces the time you have to be in range of the tower. Use it in team fights, but not too early. Save it for when you have to either escape or your team has to pursue an enemy.

Don't worry about kills - that's not Sivir's specialty. Sivir is one of the top 2 or 3 lane pushers in the game. If you are mid-lane (and you should be) focus on farming creeps and steadily (but not too aggressively) apply pressure to your lane opponent. When he bugs out, take a run at his tower (but you don't have to get it in one shot). Turn off Ricochet (as you don't want to accidentally target an enemy while you are under the tower). Use your (R) ultimate for attack speed. Both you and you minions get increased speed and attack speed.

As with all squishy, ranged carries, be careful of enemies have high burst damage capacity and can close distance quickly. You have to know if your spell shield will block their attacks. Try to make them miss, but if someone is rolling you, ask a teammate to switch lanes.

When you have enough gold, your health is low and your mana is low, recall, shop and then use Teleport to very quickly get back in the lane. Often you will catch an opponent taking a reckless run at your tower thinking he has another 30 sec or so to damage your tower. Clean out the wraith camp and kill the wolves as often as you dare to be away from your lane or team. Free gold.

Once you have pushed down the first tower, use teleport again to quickly turn the tide top or bottom, or rally your team for a push up the middle. This is also where you have to be careful as a quick tower push will attract the attention of the other team, so don't extend to the 2nd tower unless you KNOW where all of your opponents are.

In team fights, even if you build the survivable Sivir, you have to stay at range and dance in and out. Let the tanks and melee DPS take the front lines. However you are one of the few ranged carries who can and should target the enemy tanks. Your basic attack will do damage and with ricochet, you can also hit the squishier enemies in behind. Let a player with a stun, slow or trap initiate - that way you have a better chance of hitting with your BB. Keep you spell shield and your ULT ready.

Always be aware of the need to escape and think of an escape route - this is particularly important when you are on the enemy base.

LoveYuRi

01-20-2011

i like to start of with meki +2 hp pot.
Boomerang as lvl 1 skill key(Q) i think
W is her ricc
and E should be the shield if i remember

skill order
Q>E>Q>W>Q>R

try and max out boomerang.
does soo much damage in the beginning. At lvl one, i usually dont use it because it doesnt do much but at lvl 2+ thats when the real damage starts.

You ahve to pratice skill shots because thats how u aim your boomerrang.
Good ways to use it, when u see them farming, throw it.
If u see them moving to you, throw it and then run.

FaerellG

01-20-2011

Dominus presents a very solid guide to playing Sivir. However, remember, there are many ways to play her, which is why I like playing Sivir so much.

The starting strat is almost universally Meki +2 health pots.

There is some debate as to whether to turn Meki into a Chalice or into a Tear->Manamune. I personally find both options to be viable builds for different purposes.

There are 2 ways to build her currently:
heavy DPS or Tanky

If I go heavy DPS, it's usually:
Meki -> Chalice or Tear (depends on whether or not I need MR)
Boots -> Zerkers or Merc Treads (if they have lots of CC or magic damage, I go with Merc)

Then in Some order: Recurve, BFsword, Vamp Scepter
Respectively turn those into Starks and Bloodthirsters.
Mix in a Last Whisper for Armor Pen.

Alternative DPS items: Phage/Mallet. It provides good survivability along with some damage and a slow effect to prevent a runner from escaping.

If my team is low on Auto Attackers (meaning Starks won't benefit my allies), I'll switch it out for a Sword of the Divine. The active provides a solid amount of Armor Pen in addition to a huge AS boost.

If I go tanky:
Meki -> Tear -> Manamune (Chalice only if they have major CC)
Boots -> Merc treads or ninja tabi
Rush Warmogs
Rush Atma's
AS item (usually starks)
Bloodthirster or Frozen Mallet...usually BT.

None of these builds are set in stone. You should always build as the situation calls for it.
Lots of spell damage on your opponent's side? Find a way to mix in Banshee's Veil.
Want more AS on your tanky build? You don't NEED Atma's.

The trick with Sivir is that she's such a great farmer that you can afford to switch builds. I've played games where I've started tanky, but realized that my team's Xin Zhao was amazingly awesome at drawing aggro, so I sold my Warmogs and Atmas and picked up a 2nd bloodthirster and started working on LW.

Vice versa as well. I found out that my team's Ammumu was **** and underleveled, so I ditched my Last Whisper and started working on a Warmogs.

Be flexible, learn to adapt. People who are inflexible will lose when they come up against something unexpected.