Trouble with Olaf...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doriantv

03-08-2011

I'm an avid jungler, so I bought Olaf, and

1) His jungling makes me **** my pants in fear. I'm so used to playing Udyr and keeping fairly high health totals, that Olaf's low health makes me think "oh god oh god I'm gonna get counterjungled any time". Is this just part of the game with Olaf? I have a fully optimized jungler runepage, and I use 1/19/10 masteries, so I don't think any of those are issues.

2) I'm having trouble contributing to fights. For whatever reason, I get focused really hard a lot, though I don't understand why lol. It seems that I basically do a few autoattacks and press E twice, before dying. Should I be more careful with Olaf and play him like a glorified Master Yi? It seems to me that Olaf's kit encourages recklessly charging in, though.

3) How do you build him? From what I gather, there are 2 ways of doing so. First, get Wriggle's. Then, either spec for his Q/W with Mallet (or Warmogs)/Atma's, or spec for his E with Ghostblade/Glacial. Then get a BVeil. Is this a generally correct approach?

MLGN00BFR4GG3R69

03-08-2011

1)Play in a practice game and jungle with him. You'll notice that with his W activated, he'll get lower and lower but the rate at which his health decreases will get slower. Jungling with Olaf is risky, but he's also very fast. He's also a great ganker.
2)Olaf is supposed to be a tank with some offensive items if he can afford to buy them. Late game he's a great initiator but early-mid you might want to hang back and let dedicated tanks initiate before going into the fight.
3)The items you mentioned are great on Olaf. I'm not really sure why you're dying so much. Some other good items would be randuins, sunfire, and perhaps an expensive offensive item such as IE or thirster.

bomberfox

03-08-2011

1) Yes, olaf is typically at a lower hp point. Be careful and observant and you'll be fine, OR switch to a sustained route (stonewall has good videos for that). I start at golems and have decent hp throughout the whole route, and that's with 21/0/9 and only flat armor yellows specifically for jungling.

2) Your mindset is correct. Olaf is great at staying in fights, but not leaving, especially due to his passive and W. It's really just about timing. You can run in first, but your team should still be there to support you when you need it, because a strong olaf WILL get focused quick. Spam Q, W, and E whenever you can. Try to find someone out of position if you can

3) Wriggle's is solid, from then on starks and mallet are fantastic as a base build for him. Obviously include boots (zerkers if you can get away with it, but mercs if you have to), then I typically go for banshee's if I need a little more survivability, or youmuu's/ black cleaver, etc. if I can get away with more damage items.

Sounds like you already have a decent idea of what you should be doing, so maybe it's just a matter of the right team, timing, and practice

Best Zod NA

03-09-2011

It is absolutely terrifying learning to jungle Olaf at first, and having soft jungled him, I can relate to the fear. But it plays to your advantage as well. If a DPS champ comes looking for you, or a lane overextends, your passive will shred them unless they can immediately kill you. Olaf's staying power is amazing, and early game having 50-60% more attack speed with his respectable base damage and lifesteal means you'll cut down most people who think you're an easy kill.

Doriantv

03-09-2011

Played another Olaf game, and this time it got a bit easier. I was more conservative with ganking/counterjungling and got better at aiming his axe. Which led to me scoring some improbable ganks.

Olaf is pretty fun, it seems.

DrDragun

03-09-2011

Jungle Olaf doesn't get low health unless you want him to, but he goes faster if you do. Remember that W also spell vamps from your Smite spell (which is a big heal) and learn to throw axes so you will pick them up immediately while farming the jungle. W cools down quickly so you will be lifestealing and spellvamping nonstop.

One great thing about Olaf is that his jungle skill and his ganking skill are the same (Axe) so you can just level that up. Rammus you have to choose spikes or taunt, Udyr you have to choose Bear or Tiger/Phoenix, Amumu you have to choose tantrum or bandage, but not Olaf. Olaf his axe is for farm and gank its nice.

Hombre de Setas

03-09-2011

There is a Pure Dps guide on leaguecraft that I find far more useful, but personally, i don't like tanky olaf, and tend to steer towards heavy damage champions. Putting one point in olaf's W early, and then maxing his axe makes him a very hard hitter both in and out of jungle. Once you get the lantern and a few decent items, the only time you should be heading back is to shop again. Olaf can heal practically his full health bar in 30 seconds of jungling.

Doriantv

03-09-2011

Finally! Just had an awesome ranked game as Olaf where I almost won a 1v3 at one point. I think I'm finally getting the hang of him.

Olaf seems to be a much safer pick than Udyr (despite Udyr's safer jungling), since Olaf can still succeed against teams packed with kiting and CC.