Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

So, tried out Maokai and Galio

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Civil Bindle

06-20-2014

I generally love tank and support characters, so I wanted to give both these guys a shot.

I have to say, Maokai goes oom very fast. It almost feels inhibitive but I figure you just have to build him right via runes and talents and stuff. Still, he was fun and I enjoyed his abilities. I liked using seedlings to check around corners or see when baddies were coming to stop me from kicking their turrets. I also like his voice a lot, like Nautilus.

Galio... I couldn't quite get the hang of him. I died every time I used his ult. Maybe he takes a more tailored build to make him flow, but on the whole I did not feel very effective with him. Once my shield ended its cooldown just after my Jinx ally died. That made me feel bad. -.-'

The best I felt with Galio was staying at 1/4 hp and luring enemies after me. That would draw them out enough to let Yi or Jinx make quick work of them. That made me lol quite a bit.

But, on the whole I have to say neither felt as smooth as Leona or Braum. I have Leona and <3 her. Braum I played during his free week and <3 him too. I think he'll be my next purchase after having gotten to play these other characters.

I might get Maokai later down the road but I can't say I was too impressed with Galio.

I'd also like to hear what other people have to say about them. I hate to think champs are underpowered, but rather that I just have to learn them/build for them.

Thanks and you guys keep cool.

camtide

06-20-2014

I like these champs too.

Maokai-
Very good base damage and early ganks are strong. First clear is a little slow, but not too bad. 2nd clear and on is on par with most current junglers(not eve though). Don't use saplings unless you have blue and max q first in the jungle. Buy a mana item like sheen or glacial shroud and your mana problems will be less. His late game is very strong when you build full tank. Stay inside your ult and continually auto attack to use your passive and you can live a very long time. Snare is very useful.
As a support, I think buying chalice + relic shield would be a decent approach. Dont get baited on a snare into the tower because of flash though!

Galio-
His ranged slow can be a nuisance and his ult is very good if the other team doesn't have a braum or udyr. Make sure to use your shield on yourself before you ult. Building him as an AP tank is very good. Scepter and zhonyas are good items for him. Rushing into a bunch of minions with your shield up can heal you rather quickly.

Civil Bindle

06-20-2014

Yeah, I think I underutilized his shield. I was talking to another guy and he said the same thing; pop Galio's shield and go to town on minions. I had a propensity to try and spare it for my team mate to help keep them alive. I think one of the tooltips I read said to use it on an ally but I don't remember.

Mystralta

06-20-2014

Quote:
Civil Bindle:
Yeah, I think I underutilized his shield. I was talking to another guy and he said the same thing; pop Galio's shield and go to town on minions. I had a propensity to try and spare it for my team mate to help keep them alive. I think one of the tooltips I read said to use it on an ally but I don't remember.

It targets a friendly champion, which can be yourself. Also, it's not -technically- a shield, as it only gives resistances. Generally self-casting it is the best option if you can.