Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Been playing for a long time, feels like I'm getting worse at the game(Mainly ADC).

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sinister Strife

06-19-2014

Lemme start by saying I was introduced to LoL roughly 2 years ago around mid Season 2, somewhere in May or June of 2012 I think. I reached level 30 around Fall of that year and after I felt comfortable with the game, the first role I decided to main was ADC, with mid and support as sub roles, and I've kept that role setup ever since. Also, I'm just going to say this now : I've only played the game casually/mainly playing normals so far. I don't remember doing any ranked in S2, and I did my placements in both S3 and S4, but only did around 10-20 more ranked matches after I got placed, then I went back to playing normals. And for the rest of season 2 and most of season 3, my balance of good games and bad games was okay. Even when I lost a game, I didn't feel like I did anything horribly wrong, the enemy team just got the better of us, or sometimes just me. It also felt like I was extremely good at the few champions I played. But ever since season 4 began, I've felt like I've just gotten worse, especially at ADC.

Even if I look back at my matches or watch the replays(I actually can't record any replays atm. LolReplay hasn't worked for me in forever, and I can't get it to work), I don't see myself doing anything horribly wrong. I just seem to be really bad at trading in lane. I used to be able to win lane pretty easily most of the time, especially as certain champions. I've always been a consistent last hitter, got good map awareness most of the time, I position pretty well in teamfights, but for the past half a year or so it's just felt like my ability to trade in lane or outsmart/outplay my opponent has just gotten worse. It used to be so easy, and before now, I would only lose games because of big, glaring mistakes. Now I'm losing lane because of small bad trades that I just can't seem to stop being the victim of. It mostly happens at botlane since i main adc, but it still happens when I go mid or top.

I'm not really sure what's going on. I've been ending up with really embarrassing scores and way more deaths than I usually have. I've never heard of people actually getting WORSE at the game, but that's what feels like happened to me after S4 started. I don't know why or how it happened. Suddenly, my opponents just feel so much more decisive and really tough to outsmart, outtrade, outplay, or anything. I just can't put my finger on a good way to fix what I'm doing wrong. At this point, all I can do is ask for advice. I'd post replays, but like I said, I can't really get any at the moment.
In any case, should I start playing ranked to see if I can get a better grasp of what playing level I need to be at? I was either placed or made it to silver both in S3 and S4. I know I could probably make it higher if I really played it and tried, but ranked's always been kind of stressful for me. Not to mention that people always talk about having to carry your teams and be a leader, though I've never been much of a leader, I'm just better off doing my own job and that's it. I've never worried about my teammates being bad or making mistakes, I worry about pulling my own weight.

I'm not even sure about the solution anymore? Do I just have the wrong mindset about playing or something?

Dakka Downpour

06-20-2014

I think the best advice I can offer is to go over everything ADCs should be doing, then play normal games (or even bots) until you can get the hang of that role again. If some of your deaths have been caused by not enough warding, then don't rely solely on your support for doing so - get some wards whenever you go back to base, mainly for the early and mid game.

Other than that, try to keep CS high, be careful of pushing the lane unless you know where the enemy is, and focus more on objective destruction than kills and assists. Try to play for the win and not the score, you know?

Also it helps to step back, breathe in, and keep calm.

Sinister Strife

06-20-2014

I've always played normal games. I haven't even done ranked in a good while. I play bots whenever I need to warm up and practice my last-hitting. And my deaths are rarely caused by common mistakes like overextending or not buying wards. Hell, I even buy wards when my support tells me I don't really need to. Most of the time, if I make a mistake, it's something small and insignificant, and it doesn't take me long to notice so I fix it right after I do it. When I die, it feels like it's due to factors that are out of my control. Ganks that I can't escape from even when I'm not past the halfway point because my flash is down, or a 3/4-man tower dive that where I'm surrounded and can't get out. Or in-lane trades that always go badly either because my support and I don't have as good trade potential as the enemies, or because they catch me off guard with poke and harass until they've stacked an advantage in their favor. And even if I try to come back from a lost lane, I find out that the other enemy laners are also ahead, and I just get to the point where I can't do anything without getting dived and dying, and it almost feels like my team doesn't care enough to try either. Every game, something along these lines happens, and it just feels like the odds are always stacked against me. I can't tell if there are just some mistakes I'm not catching(And like I said, I normally do catch them), or if my team just isn't trying or not pulling their weight, or if my MMR is just too high and I'm getting matched up against opponents that are way too much better than me.

It's just really starting to feel like all the knowledge and experience I've accrued over the 2 years of playing the game isn't helping at all. The enemy team just stomps me every game without trying. I never had a problem with this last year, it literally feels like I've just gotten worse at the game. Like every decision I make just so happens to be the wrong one.

Morsigil

06-20-2014

"When I die, it feels like it's due to factors that are out of my control. Ganks that I can't escape from even when I'm not past the halfway point because my flash is down". Flash was down and you got ganked? Sounds like being over-extended to me. You know just because you're next to a tower doesn't mean you're not over-extended, right? If you don't have vision and someone can dive you for an easy kill, you are over-extended.

3/4 man ganks at the tower? Sounds like you're not aware of your jungle, didn't have control or vision, and basically ignored the possibility you would get ganked (nobody on the map; no vision of anyone, 2 or 3 people coming at you at the tower) and then you get dog-piled and you're like "God WHHHHHYYYYYY, WHHYYY did you do this!? Why do I have such newb teammates!?"

Stack the odds in your favor as much as possible. There's almost always something more you can do. Try not to succumb to those feelings of "Why me?" because that's how you lose games. I was in a game just last night where all our lanes were behind, but when it came to team fights we somehow were better organized and ended up winning the game.

You say you look at what you do wrong and correct it, but then you say you continue to make decisions that are the wrong ones. Sounds like you're not correcting the problems, but really the only problem I see so far is attitude... And maybe you're wide pool of ranked champs. You seem to do well with a couple of them.. I'd say stick with them in ranked and practice some off-champs in normals until you feel confident playing them in ranked.

Sinister Strife

06-20-2014

Quote:
And maybe you're wide pool of ranked champs. You seem to do well with a couple of them.. I'd say stick with them in ranked and practice some off-champs in normals until you feel confident playing them in ranked.

So how many champions should that be?
I mained Varus at the start of my career after level 30, with champion such as Ezreal,Graves, and Corki as sub-mains. Then when Lucian came out, I mained him and switched it out alot. I hardly ever see any of those four champions played anymore, and when I do, I get countered pretty hard and it becomes alot tougher. So now It's just Lucian with a side focus on Caitlyn,Sivir,Jinx,and Twitch. Should I go back to my old mains even though they're out of meta or just stick with what I've got? I'm not really much of a meta-sheep but the actual experience I've had trying to play my old 4 champs in the current S4 seems to say otherwise. Still, I think you have a point with my pool of champions being too wide. Could be the reason for my poor performance.

And as for other roles, I feel most comfortable with mid and support. Is alright just to have these 3 roles or should I try and get into top or jungle too?(A note : Jungle is probably my worst role. It's much easier said than done for me).

FantasySniper

06-20-2014

CS trading: Be aware of the creeps your enemy laner will be going for and attack within the moment his animation is killing the creep. This is a free way to get damage on enemies without having to consider retaliation unless he will attempt to make a play.

Retaliation: Don't get punched in the face and walk away, chances are they won't try to all-in you if you give them an AA in return.

Be aware of the enemy's behavior: If they are acting any different than than they were before, they are trying something that they weren't already doing. Main one being that if they walk past your creep wave, there is some sort of play in mind, usually involving a gank. Also be aware of their quirks, your enemies are human, and are prone to making the sort of mistakes that are easily capitalized on, and might even make again. Do they like to hang out in the bush? How good are they at managing and controlling the creep wave(s)? Do they push or play as passive as possible? etc.

I recommend to stick to a couple of champs, also. Mastery over a role is not the same as mastery over a playstyle.

Big n Bad

06-21-2014

Sounds like you lack confidence, which, as an adc player myself, I can say the enemy ADC will tend to abuse you for it if they're paying attention and know how to play adc. By looking at the enemy items/level and knowing their champion compared to yours, you should be able to identify whether or not you should be winning trades 1v1 against them, not factoring in the support. If you should be winning trades, then trade, don't give up any pokes for free. I can't tell you how often an opponent who could easily kill me 1v1 will back off from trades allowing me free poke simply because I go after them in a confident manner. You've gotta test your opponent to see what you can get away with and play accordingly.