Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@IronStylus Is Akali on the radar at all?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

06-30-2014

Quote:
Borand:
Don't you think you should though, since the older a champion is the "worse" his in-game art and splash would be? Why is that the case?

No, because there's a hige discrepancy with early champions in terms of quality.

Akali, Vlad, Malzahar, quite as in need of updates as say Urgot, Swain, or Caitlyn. That's sort of arbitrary and debatable in terms of quality difference, but it's mixed bag.

Actually, a number of champions had VU's in order-ish, such at Annie, Ashe, Kayle, Master Yi, Soraka, Twisted Fate, etc. Not exactly down the line, but close.

When we prioritize, we also look at the scope of work. Like, it would be difficult to do Ryze and Morgana in close proximity because of how much work their models, animations and VFX would need. Those are fairly large scope. While melee characters or ones that don't have a ton of whacky animations are lower in scope.

Each thing is a case-by-case undertaking.

gulgolet2000

06-30-2014

Once the Update team approach Urgot with his kit rework, do you think he'll be viable enough for a VU?
(I refer, of course, to his technical ugliness of outdated model/textures/animations/rig/effects, and not his ugliness of his theme- which I think that makes him unique.)

Also, I know that you're not really know what's up with splashes, but the new (amazing) Caitlyn and Urgot splashes feature some stuff that you cannot see in their current model and splashes, do you know why is it like that? (While with Caitlyn it can be seen on the look of her gun, mostly, with Urgot it's a lot more- Two pipes connected to his belly and mask, 4 breathing holes on his mask instead of the current 3, different, more harpoon-ish look for his blade, different scars on different places from the current scars and their places, etc.)

Dryad Soraka

06-30-2014

Quote:
IronStylus:
I don't think she'll be up for anything anytime in the immediate future. She has some pretty janky things in her model (bad deformation, noodle arms, etc) but overall she's not *that* bad. I think she's actually pretty distinct as a character. She would however benefit quite a bit from a texture update and some geometry tweaking to make sure her elbows, knees and ankles bend appropriately. To my knowledge we could address those with some rig changes.

sona is the prime offender of spaghetti arms

Borand

06-30-2014

Quote:
IronStylus:
No, because there's a hige discrepancy with early champions in terms of quality.

Akali, Vlad, Malzahar, quite as in need of updates as say Urgot, Swain, or Caitlyn. That's sort of arbitrary and debatable in terms of quality difference, but it's mixed bag.

Actually, a number of champions had VU's in order-ish, such at Annie, Ashe, Kayle, Master Yi, Soraka, Twisted Fate, etc. Not exactly down the line, but close.

When we prioritize, we also look at the scope of work. Like, it would be difficult to do Ryze and Morgana in close proximity because of how much work their models, animations and VFX would need. Those are fairly large scope. While melee characters or ones that don't have a ton of whacky animations are lower in scope.

Each thing is a case-by-case undertaking.

I see. Seems like there's way more than meets the eye.
(For instance I wouldn't think that ryze is more complex than say, yi, if you didn't just tell us.)

immortalibra

06-30-2014

Quote:
IronStylus:

I'm confused. To be clear, he's saying Urgot, Swain, And Caitlyn need it more? Just asking

Icedteaisgood

06-30-2014

Quote:
IronStylus:
I don't think she'll be up for anything anytime in the immediate future. She has some pretty janky things in her model (bad deformation, noodle arms, etc) but overall she's not *that* bad. I think she's actually pretty distinct as a character. She would however benefit quite a bit from a texture update and some geometry tweaking to make sure her elbows, knees and ankles bend appropriately. To my knowledge we could address those with some rig changes.

Thanks for the answer! So with no VU on the horizon, does that mean a skin is a possibility? I mean, regardless of whether there's one on the drawing board right now. Her last skin was from 2011, and if she's not getting an update before at least 2015 then that's going to be quite a wait! So do you think there's a chance of her getting a skin before any eventual update?

Fist Me Pls

06-30-2014

If Malz isn't being looked at now I wouldn't touch him until you are ready to give him a complete VU. With a title like prophet of the void you could do so much more with him then the floating pajama monster he is now. He could be a great point to work on a void event or something...

Icedteaisgood

06-30-2014

Quote:
the9thfallen:
Yes please.
I use his overlord skin because it looks good. His fingers are too long though.
The main reason I bought him was because of his classic splash art. I fell in love with his appearance before his gameplay lol. But his normal in-game model looks gross...
Judging by many posts I've made on this forum, one could say I have an unhealthy obsession with this champion.

Hah, you sound like me, just replace Malz with Akali. We should start a club for unpopular champions that Riot has ignored for the last three years because they're not flashy and don't/won't see competitive play!

Icedteaisgood

06-30-2014

Quote:
gulgolet2000:
Also, I know that you're not really know what's up with splashes, but the new (amazing) Caitlyn and Urgot splashes feature some stuff that you cannot see in their current model and splashes, do you know why is it like that? (While with Caitlyn it can be seen on the look of her gun, mostly, with Urgot it's a lot more- Two pipes connected to his belly and mask, 4 breathing holes on his mask instead of the current 3, different, more harpoon-ish look for his blade, different scars on different places from the current scars and their places, etc.)

I can't answer for Riot, but they make such good and detailed splashes now that they're really limiting themselves if they go off of the model exactly.

NinetyNineTails

07-01-2014

Quote:
Dyonas:
Hmm if it goes by popularity and everyone would pick Kassadin if they could how about some love for the dRifter?

Riot has all but confirmed that Kassadin is on the radar for a VU. No data about expected release date or visual/thematic direction, of course. But they're aware.