Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

You are the reason Dominion is dying

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OxfordKiller

06-20-2014

Quote:
Koravel:
I slept on my response here. Rachael brings up several very good points, but I don't believe I agree with the general idea here.

The statement "You are the reason Dominion is dying" may even be true, but I cannot blame people who wish to smurf or people who wish to play OP champions or anyone except those people who treat lower elo as if they are second-class citizens. Which is bs, but I would say that this attitude isnt some high elo/low elo thing, its a I think I am skilled/you are not skilled thing. A lot of the "elite" guys, (elite being a group I would not include myself in, just to be clear), don't actually care about elo at all, but more about the perception of someone's skill. And the initial impression can cause an effect so that that person is looked down upon for a long long time.

People who want to smurf? Sure, we can ask that people not do so, but we can hardly blame them for doing so when they are getting two hour queue times on their main. Full disclosure, I have a smurf, but I intentionally hold it down around 1300 elo for research purposes- what champs are OP, what strategies were used after trinket was added, etc. But people who use it to dodge queue times? What if they only have a couple hours to play? If they queue up on their main, they might not never get a game.

What you are essentially asking people to do is self-sacrifice for the greater good. While yes, I do agree that it would be overall better for the game mode if high elo people did not smurf and did not premade, at least not during anything except peak hours, I'm not sure I can get mad at them for doing so when that would be asking them to go above and beyond simply playing the game to have fun, as is the point of playing games.

I agree that we need people to act less like gamers caring solely about their experiences, and more like ambassadors for the mode, however I tend to pin the blame on Riot more than people not going well above and beyond the "call of duty" as it were, which in this case is simply playing the game.

As for the DD channel, its always been a complete mess, lol. That's what happens when you throw 200 people in there. I find more talk about SR than Dominion nowadays, but that's really the only difference I see.

"(elite being a group I would not include myself in, just to be clear)"

HAHAHA LMAO yeah okay.

Leoinu

06-20-2014

Quote:
OxfordKiller:
"(elite being a group I would not include myself in, just to be clear)"

HAHAHA LMAO yeah okay.

Shouldnt you be screaming at people in games right now and calling them hackers? Then telling them to get cancer?

Redeemed In Fire

06-20-2014

Quote:
Eagle37:
(Pls don't piss me off just for the free skin)

Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries!

IronAegis

06-20-2014

Quote:
Leoinu:
Shouldnt you be screaming at people in games right now and calling them hackers? Then telling them to get cancer?

Wow...smoked.

Cless

06-20-2014

Sorry Rachel, but I do not agree with what you've and most of the people have said.

DOMINION IS DYING BECAUSE RIOT DOESN'T DO **** FOR IT! Smurfing, elitism, trolls, tryhards, afkers, leavers are in all the modes. The DD community is such a small community of the entire Dominion community so it doesn't really affect much for Riot to be concerned. TT stays afloat because at the end of every season, people will do ranked TT for the relatively easier end of season rewards. ARAM community is still the same as before (smurfs and leavers are rampant), but it's player base is diminishing as well (no reason to grind elo in that mode since there's no end of season reward). This is not unique to DD community.

Frankly, if people actually want to learn, they'll have to listen to sound advice. I queued with a bunch of ~1000 elo people and got pulled down to a 1000 elo game. I noticed a lot of things wrong with their play, like not taking the strip of fog of war out of base after they revived. I mentioned, hey stick to the fog of war in the base exit because you'll let the enemy team know where you are. Their response was: it auto path me through the visible part and i'm too lazy to correct it. It's not that important. I tried to explain that if you stayed in the fog of war they wouldn't know if you were heading back top or trying to gank bot and would make them hesitate to make a play for windmill/our mid/our bot. Didn't listen and kept going getting auto pathed into the all vision area throughout the rest of the game. So many more plays we could've done (gank bot, jungle ambush at the bush above the relic) if he didn't stop going through it and gave it away.

We still won that game, but it was much more effort than needed, so I decided I was done queuing with them for the day. This is because if the matchmaker decided to bump them up to my 1700-1800 elo, it would be us getting completely stomped and they wouldn't have learned anything valuable because we'd be camped in base. I have experienced getting bumped to the 2300 elo when I queued with peoples and zimike way back when. I was getting ganked repeatedly bot lane and could barely hold on to my tower. I was like dang, this 2300 elo is so much more intense and my mistakes are extremely punished. I better solo grind my way to that elo so I'll be more prepared. Therefore, I don't like to queue with people who have drastically different elo.

As for the High Elo elitism, I'll stand by it. Xander is low elo and trying to write guides as THE guides to go to for Dominion knowledge. Would you seriously take someone's advice who's only played soccer at the neighborhood's soccer league or someone who's in professional soccer? It's about credibility and he has none for his Dominion articles. This is exactly if a Bronze is wrote guide for XXX character in SR and trying to pass it off as the best way to play and build said character compared to a Challenger written guide.

Next, High Elo for casters. It should be a major requirement for casting otherwise we get that Rheingold River disaster again. Sure she's great at doing play by play for the windmill fight, but beyond that she has no knowledge of the strategies going on (nor was she willing to learn about the mode). Frankly, I thought RGR was deadweight after the windmill fight in terms of casting, and putting in someone from high elo to help with the insights on the strats or just having Gandair solo cast was a much better option.

Gandair, who is not high elo, but took his time to study the plays/strategies that the top 4 teams do and can provide insight why this is or is not a good strategy. After watching some project M casting for tournaments, I noticed those casters with deep knowledge of the game provide a better experience to the viewers than those casters (like those familiar with only Melee) who aren't familiar with it.

Being able to call out the lower elo teams for sitting in the brush above windmill as a bad strategy, the lemming push to windmill with 1-3 people in lane when the rest of their team does not have jungle vision/control, recognizing whether or not it was a good time for that person to grab the relic buff, etc. is just one of the many basic things that happen. You'll also have to do some study on the players in the top 4 team, like their favorite picks, counter picks, strategy (POOTERSS, MMKH Flowchart, etc). There's a lot to learn if you're not high elo and as a caster you need to provide insight on why that strategy works great or terrible.

In short, if you're not in high elo and want to be a caster, you're most likely going to be a co-caster at best. You'll have to dedicate yourself to learning the mode inside and out if you want to be a good co-caster or a main caster. Casters in high elo just need to focus more on their speech. Personality is a plus.

Flore

Recruiter

06-20-2014

Tl;dr

Sorry

Romantic Metro

06-20-2014

Quote:
Flore:
Tl;dr

Sorry

you hipster you

Amumuro Ray

06-21-2014

Why make a sensationalist post targeted at everyone to shame the dominion name and scare away new players when you are only angry at one person for not duo Qing with you after a loss?

Don't make it sound like everyone in the DD community is a horrible person when in my opinion it's only a very small number of people who are the culprit (most aren't even 'high elo' players).

Fabs457

06-21-2014

People hold elo to too high of a regard, considering there's maybe 1 or 2 handful of players who actually sit in that super high range with Sauron and co, otherwise its truncated combinations of 1700ish+ being shoved into a single match. To me it doesn't matter... it shouldn't matter, and it really shouldn't reflect your enjoyability of the mode.

As for elitism... it always existed, though people were a lot less irritable ~2 or so years ago since the mode was rather new(ish) and there wasn't as big of a discrepancy being made about low and high elo (more players queuing). Nome worked on it, talked quite a lot in the channel regarding feedback, and there was a pretty nice relationship between the best players and people looking to explore the mode or get involved in the tourny. People were far less inclined to point out low elo as a way to degrade players. There are so few people actually playing the mode that it shouldn't matter now... but eh, arguing with eachother (and acknowledging the trolling) passes the time.

Ultimately the community shouldn't be at fault. You all deserve better from Riot, its their fault people are bored, pissed off and have nothing to work towards. Its actually pretty amazing its lasted as long as it has.

Rachael Passive

06-21-2014

Quote:
Amumuro Ray:
Why make a sensationalist post targeted at everyone to shame the dominion name and scare away new players when you are only angry at one person for not duo Qing with you after a loss?

Don't make it sound like everyone in the DD community is a horrible person when in my opinion it's only a very small number of people who are the culprit (most aren't even 'high elo' players).

I admit thats what triggered it, also I didn't expect him to DuoQ with me. This has been bugging me for a while now, just not enough to post about it. Imo, most of the culprits are high elo players, and yeah its a small group of people but DD community is small, so it makes a large impact.