Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

You are the reason Dominion is dying

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SKT1 Seto Kaiba

06-20-2014

Quote:
Koravel:
And using your elo in SR to try to say you are good at Dominion isn't elitist at all?

Cause it's the same when they always try to balance in inhouses and then blame that one guy who isn't good as everyone else because he/she has little dominion experience. And don't tell me it doesn't happen when teams are stacked and then there is just butthurt all over.

Koravel

06-20-2014

Quote:
Rachael Passive:
I slept on this, because I realized this when I was angry, but even now I realize it is true. I used to love the dominion community, I used to recommend dominion to people because it was fun, and I enjoyed the people that were a part of this community, because people were helpful and always willing to accept other people to play in this mode. I can’t say that anymore, I can’t recommend people play dominion.

I would never recommend people join the “dominatedominion” channel. because what we used to claim it was there for is no longer true, whenever I am in that chat channel, it is people stroking their epeens and talking about random things. I have seen numerous people ask questions, or ask to play a game and they just get ignored. I have seen people just trash talking and complaining in the chat(I admit I am guilty of this). DominateDominion chat I feel, is no longer a resource to the mode, I think it chases more people away than it attracts lately. I am not saying that DD chat should just be dominion talk 24/7, but I think that a lot of the time, since the chat can’t be moderated, it can become a weapon against dominion, instead of for it.

The smurfing is out of control. I can understand smurfing to get lower queue times, but it has gone way further than that. Most of the smurfs that I know of are almost the same elo as their main so they aren’t smurfing to lower their queue times, so that reason is null and void. Recently, from an outsiders perspective people have just been smurfing so they can be rude. Whether it is queue sniping people as a 5 man so the solo-queue-er has a disadvantage or just being rude to others and being able to because you don’t know who they are. I might be wrong on my assumptions on this, but either way the smurfing is a problem.

Now for some personal perspective, just a disclaimer, my perspective might be harsher or less harsh than other peoples. At this point, I would rather play with dominion with non dominion players than people who I know play dominion on a regular basis. I have been part of this community for a year now and I still feel like I don’t belong, there are not a lot of people I would call a friend. I am seen as a second class citizen because I’m not “high elo” and an elitist, even though I have tried to contribute more than a lot of people in this community. Outside gamers always say that the league community is ****, which you can infer is 99% SR, but SR community is great compared to the dominion community as it stands right now.

A lot of people claim that Dominion is “our mode” when everyone knows it isn’t. Just like how Riot said that they could flip a switch and turn on ranked, they could do the same thing and turn off Dominion all together, and 99% of the league community would not care, because really, what does this mode have that SR doesn’t? I used to boast that the mode was more fun and had a better community but I can’t say that anymore. We no longer have a tournament also, to add insult to injury. So if you think this mode is going to be here forever and people are just going to flock here, think again, because when our own players give outsiders a reason to not play the mode, why do you think people are going to want to play Dominion?

I slept on my response here. Rachael brings up several very good points, but I don't believe I agree with the general idea here.

The statement "You are the reason Dominion is dying" may even be true, but I cannot blame people who wish to smurf or people who wish to play OP champions or anyone except those people who treat lower elo as if they are second-class citizens. Which is bs, but I would say that this attitude isnt some high elo/low elo thing, its a I think I am skilled/you are not skilled thing. A lot of the "elite" guys, (elite being a group I would not include myself in, just to be clear), don't actually care about elo at all, but more about the perception of someone's skill. And the initial impression can cause an effect so that that person is looked down upon for a long long time.

People who want to smurf? Sure, we can ask that people not do so, but we can hardly blame them for doing so when they are getting two hour queue times on their main. Full disclosure, I have a smurf, but I intentionally hold it down around 1300 elo for research purposes- what champs are OP, what strategies were used after trinket was added, etc. But people who use it to dodge queue times? What if they only have a couple hours to play? If they queue up on their main, they might not ever get a game.

What you are essentially asking people to do is self-sacrifice for the greater good. While yes, I do agree that it would be overall better for the game mode if high elo people did not smurf and did not premade, at least not during anything except peak hours, I'm not sure I can get mad at them for doing so when that would be asking them to go above and beyond simply playing the game to have fun, as is the point of playing games.

I agree that we need people to act less like gamers caring solely about their experiences, and more like ambassadors for the mode, however I tend to pin the blame on Riot more than people not going well above and beyond the "call of duty" as it were, which in this case is simply playing the game.

As for the DD channel, its always been a complete mess, lol. That's what happens when you throw 200 people in there. I find more talk about SR than Dominion nowadays, but that's really the only difference I see.

JamesLeBoss

06-20-2014

Quote:
Worst Darius S3:
Cause it's the same when they always try to balance in inhouses and then blame that one guy who isn't good as everyone else because he/she has little dominion experience. And don't tell me it doesn't happen when teams are stacked and then there is just butthurt all over.

Do you mean blaming the loss on the new guy or are you talking about people asking to balance teams better in lobby chat?

IIRC, whenever teams are imba in Fancy's inhouse (I don't recommend new players joining accoustic's inhouse) we all blame Fancy and call him a bad.

Koravel

06-20-2014

Quote:
I Stole Your Cat:
Says the Dominion elitist. Having ego about Dominion is like a swollen ego resulting from the world's largest collection of pet rocks.

You are more than welcome to have ego about SR. What I'm saying is it makes no sense to claim that because you are diamond in SR, you are somehow good at Dominion. When we are trying to balance inhouses, for example, we don't take SR rank into account, because it is next-to-meaningless in terms of Dom skill.

And you're gonna have to define what you mean by elitist, I don't generally believe I fall into that category. In terms of pure map skill? Sure I think some people are better than others.

But I do believe the game should be balanced around all elos, not just high elo, and I'm not going to dismiss a person's opinion out of hand because they are low MMR. I may bring it up during the conversation if I feel that it is a valid point- they only believe a certain strategy works because of the MMR they are at, for example- but I don't use it as a catalyst to simply dismiss their opinion altogether.

Can the SR community say the same, I wonder?

iDontCareLmao

06-20-2014

Quote:
JamesLeBoss:
Do you mean blaming the loss on the new guy or are you talking about people asking to balance teams better in lobby chat?

IIRC, whenever teams are imba in Fancy's inhouse (I don't recommend new players joining accoustic's inhouse) we all blame Fancy and call him a bad.

The chat theorizing who should switch places with who and betting on which team will win because of how much more stacked it is and then calling Fancy bad because he can't perfectly balance it is my favorite part about inhouses.

SKT1 Seto Kaiba

06-20-2014

Quote:
JamesLeBoss:

No when they try to balance the teams and newer player comes in, then they're like "Oh wow this team is stacked etc etc" and then out of the game lobby they blame the newer player. And the newer player never returns to DD or to dominion.

Or they blame because someone picked a champ that isn't viable get harassed and everyone else tryhards in-game and after lobby they picked on that one player because he picked something that didn't work etc etc.

Koravel

06-20-2014

Quote:
Worst Darius S3:
No when they try to balance the teams and newer player comes in, then they're like "Oh wow this team is stacked etc etc" and then out of the game lobby they blame the newer player. And the newer player never returns to DD or to dominion.

Or they blame because someone picked a champ that isn't viable get harassed and everyone else tryhards in-game and after lobby they picked on that one player because he picked something that didn't work etc etc.

This is just a matter of confusion. You have certain people that want inhouses as tryhards that are in place of tourneys and certain times we want inhouses for learning experiences. People are always going to tend to rage when skill levels are heavily mixed.

Koravel

06-20-2014

Quote:
Worst Darius S3:

Also people will always tend to look for someone to blame in MOBAs. And no one wants to blame themselves. The really really good players will figure out what they could have done differently, and this will allow them to improve. The players who are not improving will blame others.

Eagle37

06-20-2014

I pretty much left Dom blind q entirely. I had risen my mmr as high as I could and that means that I could finally q up and get matched with the people I wanted on a good day. The truth is what I tough was gonna be mmr heaven was still just regular blind pick ****ness. Imbalance games all around and I needed to try hard to keep this stupid mmr from going down. It got worse instead of better so I stopped playing the q entirely.

I hate blind pick but I always loved inhouses. I find that good games are easier to obtain there and I can finally play with the community I love. I must say that I turned into a major flamer in the last couple ones cause my patience with trolling or stacked teams is near 0. It's hard to deal with people in general cause you can't force them to act the way you would want to. They have their own idea of what fun is and it doesn't always match up your idea. I'm sorry for this change of behavior and I will try to stop it entirely in the future. I tend to feel very bad after those flaming moments and buy offended people skins tough. (Pls don't piss me off just for the free skin)

We are a community of people. ****ty people on a bad bay. Good people most of the time. We can dream of all pushing for the same friendly fairy tale dream dominion but it probably won't happen. There is still a lot of good with the mode we currently have but it gets a lot of easier to see the flaws when you spend too much time playing it. I would suggest that some of you take a break and play less of it for a time. It helps regaining your enjoyment of the game once you go back. It's better for everyone to be happy while they play sparsely than having most games filled with rage.

I love DD chat. I'm not bothered by it's randomness. Trust me it's the best one around even with it's flaws. I will be the last one on it as I keep logging in when I'm 55, alone in my dead mom's basement still playing Dominion. Watching the q timer go to 60 minutes and back to 0 all day. Creating inhouses for myself, capping all 5 post and crying over my loneliness.

iDontCareLmao

06-20-2014

Quote:
Eagle37:
I pretty much left Dom blind q entirely. I had risen my mmr as high as I could and that means that I could finally q up and get matched with the people I wanted on a good day. The truth is what I tough was gonna be mmr heaven was still just regular blind pick ****ness. Imbalance games all around and I needed to try hard to keep this stupid mmr from going down. It got worse instead of better so I stopped playing the q entirely.

I hate blind pick but I always loved inhouses. I find that good games are easier to obtain there and I can finally play with the community I love. I must say that I turned into a major flamer in the last couple ones cause my patience with trolling or stacked teams is near 0. It's hard to deal with people in general cause you can't force them to act the way you would want to. They have their own idea of what fun is and it doesn't always match up your idea. I'm sorry for this change of behavior and I will try to stop it entirely in the future. I tend to feel very bad after those flaming moments and buy offended people skins tough. (Pls don't piss me off just for the free skin)

We are a community of people. ****ty people on a bad bay. Good people most of the time. We can dream of all pushing for the same friendly fairy tale dream dominion but it probably won't happen. There is still a lot of good with the mode we currently have but it gets a lot of easier to see the flaws when you spend too much time playing it. I would suggest that some of you take a break and play less of it for a time. It helps regaining your enjoyment of the game once you go back. It's better for everyone to be happy while they play sparsely than having most games filled with rage.

I love DD chat. I'm not bothered by it's randomness. Trust me it's the best one around even with it's flaws. I will be the last one on it as I keep logging in when I'm 55, alone in my dead mom's basement still playing Dominion. Watching the q timer go to 60 minutes and back to 0 all day. Creating inhouses for myself, capping all 5 post and crying over my loneliness.

That's a.... really depressing ending.