Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

You are the reason Dominion is dying

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SylianEUW

06-20-2014

I have some questions.

Quote:
Rachael Passive:
The smurfing is out of control.
How so? Are people using smurfs as an excuse to be flame, or spam OP champions? If not, what's the problem?

Quote:
Rachael Passive:
Whether it is queue sniping people as a 5 man so the solo-queue-er has a disadvantage[...]
I've seen people complain about premades, but for some people, that's an easy way to cut down the queue times to 1/4th of what'd they'd be if they'd solo queue or duo queue. There's also the "playing with people you like" aspect. I don't know how it is on NA, but on EUW, we generally don't use voice chat or anything, so it's not like we have better communication than we would if we all solo-queued.

Quote:
I am seen as a second class citizen because I’m not “high elo” and an elitist, even though I have tried to contribute more than a lot of people in this community.
Part of the Dominion community can be rather elitist, though since elo has been hidden, it's not as bad as it used to be.

Quote:
Penteano:
Yep. In EUW there is no DD chat, the Dom chat is in silence most of time or people talk very little about Dominion.
Our chat room basically died last December, for some reason. People still hang out there, but there's not much talking to be had. I suspect people just talk when they're in queue, or they just talk to the person they want to talk to directly. The chat room still serves a purpose for inviting people to custom Dominion game modes, at least, such as Dominion URF and Dominion One for All.

Quote:
And sitll queue times goes from 30 to 120 seconds (1200~1700 elo, the max I reached). No much wait and quite a lot of players even without a tournament.
I see. Then queues are actually longer in mid elo. Shame, but it's not too bad, at least.

Quote:
And thanks MWAB for the revive trinkets the quality of the games improved so much that I couldn't even believe.
Yeah, even in higher elo, they do help since some players wouldn't pick Revive, and now when facing them it's much less likely to be a one-sided stomp.

Quote:
Fancy Wolf:
Alot of higher MMR players are forced to smurf because of Q times, they may get the MMR back up to where their main is but the MMR is less solidified and fluctuates alot more.
Could they not just premade with people with lower MMR and thus get faster queues? Maybe help coach some new players and such? Or help players who are stuck in mid-elo to learn how to get better and reach higher elos. Or just queue with people that are high elo but not high enough elo to give you super long queues.

Romantic Metro

06-20-2014

We know the conceptual goals to revitalize dominion and that mostly relies on Riot. The only thing we can do is just play, have fun, and use word of mouth for publicity. If dominion is to ever get big it needs Riot to put more priority and emphasis on it. For the time being that will not be the case. Nam is correct that it's almost a different game. Riot let the wound fester for dominion simple as that. Is it any surprise that the player base dwindled and those that still play are a bit bitter? What makes it worse is that egos and different view points on what to do with dominion make people conflict. Then of course just different personalities. Some people like to solo que while others like to premade with friends and due to a small player base you're prolly gonna run into them. The smurfing in dominion is no different than challenger players in SR trying to get a lower que time. They aren't really an issue to me because this game is about playing online with and against others so it's only natural you'll find some people to play with. The fact that we have to face them so often is really just a symptom of the bigger problems which are just even more symptoms of the biggest problem for dominion.

TL;DR: Riot not sure what to do with dominion left it alone mostly and the player base for the mode dwindled into bitter people with different personalities that are more noticeable. A guy yelling in a noisy crowd isn't as noticeable as a guy yelling in a room with only 5 people in it.

SylianEUW

06-20-2014

Quote:
Worst Darius S3:
Why should I grind "fake elo" if at the end there is nothing to gain from it except a bigger e-peen?
You shouldn't. Playing Dominion in an attempt to "grind elo" will make you end up very bitter. Play for fun, and maybe practice for the upcoming tournament. Do try to win still, because it's not very fun getting stomped, and your teammates might resent you.

Quote:
There is no point of tryharding unless there is something to gain at the end of the road.
Some people tryhard too much as it is, so yeah. The funny thing is, when I changed my viewpoint from "I need to spam my best champs every game to win and gain elo" to "Okay, time to relax and have some fun and learn some new champ", I actually increased my win ratio by quite a bit. Funny how that works out. It also made me a more versatile player, and probably a better player as well.

What's my motivation to play Dominion these days? I don't feel a need to improve my win ratio much, it'd be pretty hard at this point anyway (it's around 65%, so I'd have to win a lot and almost never lose to raise it further), I don't feel a need to improve my elo (it's already too high for my taste, I'd appreciate shorter queues), and I'm lukewarm for the new EUW tournament (have lots of RP saved, so not sure if I'm motivated to play in it). So, why do I play? Mostly for fun. I've been trying new champions, trying to evaluate how strong they are, and have some fun when venturing into fields I'm not used to. And hey... It's fun. Dominion is still fun for me, so I play it. It's also getting more and more balanced, which is nice.

Rachael Passive

06-20-2014

Quote:
SylianEUW:
I have some questions.

How so? Are people using smurfs as an excuse to be flame, or spam OP champions? If not, what's the problem?

^ thats exactly what I have problem with

SKT1 Seto Kaiba

06-20-2014

Quote:
You shouldn't. Playing Dominion in an attempt to "grind elo" will make you end up very bitter. Play for fun, and maybe practice for the upcoming tournament. Do try to win still, because it's not very fun getting stomped, and your teammates might resent you.

That's the problem, if you don't reach a certain elo. People look at you at nothing. You tell when you go to inhouses and people are like "I don't know this guy cause he aint 1800 or 2000." Then they start to flame you and stuff because their ego is too high.

Dominion high elo means nothing. It's like me telling you "Hey guys I've won the most Friday Magic tournaments at my locals". What it does it mean? It isn't a pro tour or Star City games event. That's why I feel like dominion feels like a joke, because it's like "It doesn't matter if your diamond in summoner's rift it doesn't mean jack here" It feels elitist and kind of pitiful.

SylianEUW

06-20-2014

Quote:
Rachael Passive:
^ thats exactly what I have problem with
That sucks. Sounds like they're actually toxic players that just don't want a bad reputation, so they hide behind smurfs. How pathetic.

Quote:
Worst Darius S3:
That's the problem, if you don't reach a certain elo. People look at you at nothing. You tell when you go to inhouses and people are like "I don't know this guy cause he aint 1800 or 2000." Then they start to flame you and stuff because their ego is too high.
That sucks. I would guess it's a vocal minority, but I don't play on NA so I wouldn't know. On EUW, people will generally not flame other people, though they might complain about them to their friends afterwards ("Wow, this Talon, bought Hydra and did less damage than our tank&quot. People being rude to their face is less common.

Koravel

06-20-2014

Quote:
Worst Darius S3:

Dominion high elo means nothing. It's like me telling you "Hey guys I've won the most Friday Magic tournaments at my locals". What it does it mean? It isn't a pro tour or Star City games event. That's why I feel like dominion feels like a joke, because it's like "It doesn't matter if your diamond in summoner's rift it doesn't mean jack here" It feels elitist and kind of pitiful.

And using your elo in SR to try to say you are good at Dominion isn't elitist at all?

I Stole Your Cat

06-20-2014

Quote:
Koravel:
And using your elo in SR to try to say you are good at Dominion isn't elitist at all?

Says the Dominion elitist. Having ego about Dominion is like a swollen ego resulting from the world's largest collection of pet rocks.

SylianEUW

06-20-2014

Quote:
I Stole Your Cat:
Says the Dominion elitist. Having ego about Dominion is like a swollen ego resulting from the world's largest collection of pet rocks.
Ever heard of "Tu quoque"? Just because he might be an elitist doesn't mean SR players claiming they're good at Dominion aren't being arrogant. People should accept that each map probably takes a few hundred games to really learn how it works.

iDontCareLmao

06-20-2014

Quote:
Worst Darius S3:
That's why I feel like dominion feels like a joke, because it's like "It doesn't matter if your diamond in summoner's rift it doesn't mean jack here" It feels elitist and kind of pitiful.

That's like me saying that because I'm good at dominion I should be diamond 1 in SR. SR players (actually, make that everyone) will call me dumb and say "it doesn't matter" because my dominion experience means nothing in SR. It works the same way vice versa, that's not elitism.