Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

You are the reason Dominion is dying

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rachael Passive

06-19-2014

I slept on this, because I realized this when I was angry, but even now I realize it is true. I used to love the dominion community, I used to recommend dominion to people because it was fun, and I enjoyed the people that were a part of this community, because people were helpful and always willing to accept other people to play in this mode. I can’t say that anymore, I can’t recommend people play dominion.

I would never recommend people join the “dominatedominion” channel. because what we used to claim it was there for is no longer true, whenever I am in that chat channel, it is people stroking their epeens and talking about random things. I have seen numerous people ask questions, or ask to play a game and they just get ignored. I have seen people just trash talking and complaining in the chat(I admit I am guilty of this). DominateDominion chat I feel, is no longer a resource to the mode, I think it chases more people away than it attracts lately. I am not saying that DD chat should just be dominion talk 24/7, but I think that a lot of the time, since the chat can’t be moderated, it can become a weapon against dominion, instead of for it.

The smurfing is out of control. I can understand smurfing to get lower queue times, but it has gone way further than that. Most of the smurfs that I know of are almost the same elo as their main so they aren’t smurfing to lower their queue times, so that reason is null and void. Recently, from an outsiders perspective people have just been smurfing so they can be rude. Whether it is queue sniping people as a 5 man so the solo-queue-er has a disadvantage or just being rude to others and being able to because you don’t know who they are. I might be wrong on my assumptions on this, but either way the smurfing is a problem.

Now for some personal perspective, just a disclaimer, my perspective might be harsher or less harsh than other peoples. At this point, I would rather play with dominion with non dominion players than people who I know play dominion on a regular basis. I have been part of this community for a year now and I still feel like I don’t belong, there are not a lot of people I would call a friend. I am seen as a second class citizen because I’m not “high elo” and an elitist, even though I have tried to contribute more than a lot of people in this community. Outside gamers always say that the league community is ****, which you can infer is 99% SR, but SR community is great compared to the dominion community as it stands right now.

A lot of people claim that Dominion is “our mode” when everyone knows it isn’t. Just like how Riot said that they could flip a switch and turn on ranked, they could do the same thing and turn off Dominion all together, and 99% of the league community would not care, because really, what does this mode have that SR doesn’t? I used to boast that the mode was more fun and had a better community but I can’t say that anymore. We no longer have a tournament also, to add insult to injury. So if you think this mode is going to be here forever and people are just going to flock here, think again, because when our own players give outsiders a reason to not play the mode, why do you think people are going to want to play Dominion?

Sauron

06-19-2014

You've hit on pretty much all the reasons why I stopped interacting with this community months ago. Well said.

IronAegis

06-19-2014

Well I haven't been on for awhile (Infinite Crisis is indeed fun!) but hopefully you're still up some more duos if and when I come back! Win or lose they were always fun. I agree with many of your points, although I haven't put much stock into "High elo" Dominion. I've always focused on having fun and playing with friends, even if those losses meant tanking my elo a bit because they were much lower than me. There's no ranked and no tournament anymore, so if the only thing at the top is even longer queue times, well...you can have it. I have my hopes pinned on Heroes of the Storm at this point

I don't find the community to be better or worse than other communities, although the vibe did seem much more welcoming in the past. Every game has its jerks or people that focus entirely too much on their "worth" in the game as compared to others, but ultimately I think this has a lot to do with the stagnation of the mode. If Riot has obviously swept Dominion under the rug, that makes it incredibly difficult to rally the troops to keep supporting it community wise.

Rachael Passive

06-19-2014

Quote:
IronAegis:
Well I haven't been on for awhile (Infinite Crisis is indeed fun!) but hopefully you're still willing for some more duos if and when I come back! I agree with many of your points, although I haven't given much stock into "High elo" in Dominion. I've always focused on having fun and playing with friends, even if those losses meant tanking my elo a bit because they were much lower than me. There's no ranked and no tournament anymore, so if the only thing at the top is even longer queue times, well...you can have it. I have my hopes pinned on Heroes of the Storm at this pint

same I really like to win, because I am a competitive person, but I like to have fun equally as much.

Mirkwoodia

Recruiter

06-19-2014

Quote:
IronAegis:
I have my hopes pinned on Heroes of the Storm at this point

Same...

Quote:
Rachael Passive:
in that chat channel, it is people stroking their epeens and talking about random things.

Totally true, and im guilty

Quote:
Rachael Passive:
I am seen as a second class citizen because I’m not “high elo” and an elitist, even though I have tried to contribute more than a lot of people in this community. Outside gamers always say that the league community is ****, which you can infer is 99% SR, but SR community is great compared to the dominion community as it stands right now.

I used to boast that the mode was more fun and had a better community but I can’t say that anymore.

But what does 2nd class citizen mean? I mean, I have low MMR friends, but q'ing with them? i know that makes a rotten game for me atleast. Thus, I can barely even hang out with them on League

Oh and I meant to say Don't blame the mode, it didnt do nothing wrong :/

Redeemed In Fire

06-19-2014

Hm.

I know i still respond to questions whenever I see them. Plus domtiers.net. I'll assume it's not aimed at me then, and proceed.

Quote:
Rachael Passive:

I would never recommend people join the “dominatedominion” channel. because what we used to claim it was there for is no longer true, whenever I am in that chat channel, it is people stroking their epeens and talking about random things. I have seen numerous people ask questions, or ask to play a game and they just get ignored. I have seen people just trash talking and complaining in the chat(I admit I am guilty of this). DominateDominion chat I feel, is no longer a resource to the mode, I think it chases more people away than it attracts lately. I am not saying that DD chat should just be dominion talk 24/7, but I think that a lot of the time, since the chat can’t be moderated, it can become a weapon against dominion, instead of for it.

I don't exactly know what can be done about this. There's just nothing to talk about in regards to Dominion any more, the discussions have almost all been had and any new ones crop up from any changes Riot does that affects the mode, nothing else. I'll admit i've started **** a couple times as far as late night DD chat, lol, but i mean... we're a community. Communities end up talking about random things between members, it's just what happens /shrug

Quote:
Rachael Passive:

The smurfing is out of control. I can understand smurfing to get lower queue times, but it has gone way further than that. Most of the smurfs that I know of are almost the same elo as their main so they aren’t smurfing to lower their queue times, so that reason is null and void. Recently, from an outsiders perspective people have just been smurfing so they can be rude. Whether it is queue sniping people as a 5 man so the solo-queue-er has a disadvantage or just being rude to others and being able to because you don’t know who they are. I might be wrong on my assumptions on this, but either way the smurfing is a problem.

(As I sit on my level 10 smurf in queue for an hour and a half) I agree. I'm sorry, watching Snide and Fanc-ples and Acoustic and whoever the hell B8erade is send me on a 15 game losing streak sucks the little fun left out of the mode.

As to /why/, I personally have a smurf (and am now apparently leveling it) because I want to have a second name, no other reason. I don't have money to drop on name changes 5 times a week so I don''t have other options. I don't want it to be in low ELO though.

Quote:
Rachael Passive:
Now for some personal perspective, just a disclaimer, my perspective might be harsher or less harsh than other peoples. At this point, I would rather play with dominion with non dominion players than people who I know play dominion on a regular basis. I have been part of this community for a year now and I still feel like I don’t belong, there are not a lot of people I would call a friend. I am seen as a second class citizen because I’m not “high elo” and an elitist, even though I have tried to contribute more than a lot of people in this community. Outside gamers always say that the league community is ****, which you can infer is 99% SR, but SR community is great compared to the dominion community as it stands right now.

...This is what a dying mode looks like, people. Not ashen crying because hes not getting what he wants when he wants. Not DD dying (that's a symptom). It's when high ELO is half smurfs or the same ****ty games. When low ELO is a wasteland.

Quote:
Rachael Passive:
A lot of people claim that Dominion is “our mode” when everyone knows it isn’t. Just like how Riot said that they could flip a switch and turn on ranked, they could do the same thing and turn off Dominion all together, and 99% of the league community would not care, because really, what does this mode have that SR doesn’t? I used to boast that the mode was more fun and had a better community but I can’t say that anymore. We no longer have a tournament also, to add insult to injury. So if you think this mode is going to be here forever and people are just going to flock here, think again, because when our own players give outsiders a reason to not play the mode, why do you think people are going to want to play Dominion?

^

I'm out of ideas. I'll keep running domtiers as long as i can muster the energy to, and I'll probably idle in DD for a long time because i don't think an equivalent SR community exists, but that's it. We need everyone to pick up the banner, here and now, or watch the mode truly and finally suffocate.
Quote:
Sauron:
You've hit on pretty much all the reasons why I stopped interacting with this community months ago. Well said.

Maybe this is unreasonable but:

Be the change you wish to see in the community. I've been here for over a year trying to carry you guys. I know you're burned out on the mode, but the only thing keeping the mode from reviving to some degree is people like you staying quiet instead of fixing the problems.

iDontCareLmao

06-19-2014

I'm just gonna say that queue-ing with people who are much lower MMR than you is not fun. Since the high MMR player pulls them up, the lower MMR guys get matched against people they can't handle. Instead of creating a good atmosphere for players trying to learn, it just leads to the newer players getting crushed and saying "...well alright, guess I'm done here."

Reviren

06-19-2014

Quote:
The Fizznity:

Be the change you wish to see in the community.

This. This is what I've kind of been trying to do. Despite being a fairly new member in the community, I've seen just how much fun and how awesome this could be, and I was, and still am really enjoying being a part of this community, and I'm trying to help it grow. It's why I've been helping with domtiers, wrote a Katarina guide specifically for Dominion, and I've been queue'ing up with newcomers to try to help the community grow, and I honestly just wish people would do the same. It just seems as though people stopped caring, and that's just sad.

Genericke

06-19-2014

I've distanced myself a fair bit from the community lately, and I feel a lot healthier because of it.

The egos and entitlement in this community are absolutely wild.

Moving on though, keep this in mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfqO7zmd0oA

Hand of Fap

06-19-2014

Not exactly sure how the SR standings effect dom queues but when they changed it so that SR MMR was taken into account (it has been this way for quite some time now), I noticed a fair few toxic low dom game count players join the ranks. Just saying, not all the bad comes from within the community, not talking about DD chat but in game here. Plenty of times where I have offered constructive advice without being nasty about it to players doing things like capping in the middle of a 2v2, only to either have my head ripped off by a 'pro' plat SR player or just get a 'chill it's only dom'. But then you run into IronAegis beasting out Nami it makes it all slightly better.