Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Just Started LoL! Need Help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GreenMunchies

06-19-2014

So I finally decided to start play league yesterday and I've been having a lot of fun with it but I feel myself clueless as I play through beginner AI games. So I'm wondering if any would be able to help me learn the beginning steps of the game and get me on the right path to properly learning to play LoL and actually getting better!

vortical42

06-19-2014

Look me up in-game and I'll be happy to help if I have time. Is there anything specific you are struggling with?

vortical42

06-19-2014

FYI, if you want a general tip for your level, just focus on your mechanics. You get gold from last hitting minions. Take note of how many you have last-hit at 10 minute intervals (the number is displayed as 'CS' at the top of the screen). Make sure you are improving those scores each game. If you have a game where you fail to improve, try to figure out why, and look for ways to improve next game.

Also, If you haven't already, unlock the camera and start using the hotkeys. The sooner you start the easier it will be.

One final note. Don't spend your IP. You want to experiment with as many champs as you can to get a feel for who fits your playstyle. If you find a champ you really do well with, write it down somewhere and come back to buy them after you hit level 20. If you can do this, you should have enough IP saved up for 2 or 3 full pages of runes once the tier 3 runes become available.

GreenMunchies

06-19-2014

I have most of the game mechanics down so far I think, it's more or less what lanes to play and how play it, how to properly play a champion and its abilities.

ChibuChan

Recruiter

06-19-2014

I'm willing to help out. There's a lot of things that the tutorial will and won't teach you. League is a game that you have to actually play to get better but if anything I can do a 1v1 training session.
ign: ChibuChan

ChibuChan

Recruiter

06-19-2014

GreenMunchies, in match when the creeps get to about 30% health, auto attack them to "last hit". No one really has a perfect CS score to go off of. But about 80 CS around 10 minutes is generally the score people like to aim for. Here's a chart, to help you see what would happen if you didn't miss a single creep.
Minions Spawn at 1:30
6 Minions Spawn Per lane Every :30 with a 7th every 3rd so..
19 Minions Spawn Per lane Every 1:30 (9 Melee minions, 9 Caster Minions and 1 Cannon Minion)

3 Minutes-19 Minions
6 Minutes-57 Minions
9 Minutes-95 Minions
12 Minutes-133 Minions
15 Minutes-171 Minions
18 Minutes- 209 Minions
21 Minutes- 247 Minions

Also every Kill is worth about roughly 20 CS. so if you have about the same CS as your lane opponent but you have a kill on him, add about 20 CS to your score. So if you die, then just farm up hard until you can outfarm your lane opponent about 5-10 CS. At that bout you'll be even.

E.G: You're going 1/0/0 with 23 CS and your lane opponent is 0/1/0 with 22 CS, you're ahead of him with about 40ish CS.

If you're going 0/1/0 at 23 CS and your lane opponent is 1/0/0 with 22 CS, he has about 39 CS and you should farm to about 5-10 CS ahead of his number. so by the time you get back he would already be at 32 CS + his Kill. So FARM HARD! :3

League is a game about Gold and Items. The more gold you can gain, the more items you can buy, the more you can win your lane, etc...

Fire

06-19-2014

Hey! Just in a nutshell if you want to improve your game there's only really a couple things you need to do:

Play every champion, in every role. You need to know their abilities for when you encounter them on the other team. And yes, this is very time consuming. But the amount you play while unlocking these champions, and playing them, will only help you get a better feel for the game and make you more prepared for ranked.

and secondly. Watch streamers/LCS streams.

na.lolesports.com will have videos of the previous league of legends championship series matchups, and you can watch the pros play, see their item builds, and see the most picked champions in their respective lanes to learn strong picks, and to see what champs you should spend IP on to be effective in the current meta.

twitch.tv <- streaming site, you can always watch high ranked players play, just to pick up notes on things they do.

I got a lot better at the game by just watching people who knew far more than me.

Toge

06-20-2014

Hint, take tips from high elo players than low elo, but consider the low rank ideas and why they state them. Start watching high level matches using the spectate mode. If you can't do that search for streams. Try to mimic what they do, but the most important thing is to ask yourself, "why did he do that in that situation?" and then attempt to answer it. I suggest scarra since he does a lot of talking explaining what he is doing when he does it. I'll also link you to some youtube channels with good info for as you get more attuned to the game.

Gbay99: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRIxFJ5UicWOUdoUYyJTD1Q
FoxdropLoL (jungling): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9U_UPJLasfZYZ0icNI0vBg
his stream channel http://www.twitch.tv/foxdrop/profile
PhyLol (fox's brother and lane counterpart): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCARZJejxRnmQ0m_tU7MgRiA
Scarra's Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/scarra/profile

That should get you started at least. Try to learn as many champions as possible, but as you get more into the game focus one champion and try to get amazing with it. Learning to play one champion better than any other (in all situations, this means taking him to an odd place even if you know it'll lose but learning from it and why it lost) will always make your basic mechanics all all champions better overall.

Biggest thing to know, don't let others tell you what to do or how to play, decide what you think is best for yourself and if they get angry at you for it, ignore them.

buneter

06-20-2014

you're going to be hearing about last hitting your entire game but since your still just playing co-op vs A.I it wont matter last hitting right now only really focus on that once you understand how to build and what lanes to go into

KXylo

Recruiter

06-20-2014

The game isn't fun... until you get Flash. <3