Does playing League of Legends harm my Mac?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flagrated

Recruiter

06-18-2014

I've had the Mac (Macbook Air 2013) 'Gray Screen of Death' where when I turn it on, it stays on the Apple logo, then shuts back off. It is a very annoying repetitive process where I can never turn it on. I've got that case solved now and bottom line is: Is playing League of Legends a contributing factor to these problems?

ChodeFapper

06-18-2014

Probably, this client crashes so much and causes me to do so many hard-resets of my mac, overheats it to ****, etc. I've stopped playing as much as I used to because this client is trash.

Flagrated

Recruiter

06-18-2014

I've never experienced a client crash with my Macbook before, so I don't really know.

Xeculus

06-20-2014

Running a software isn't going to cause your computer to be like that. More likely is either malware or a hardware failure. I'd take it to an Apple store to check.

On a side note, the Mac LoL client is super inefficient and needs a high spec Mac to drive it well. Thus, most Airs encounter trouble running it well although this shouldn't cause your computer to be like that when you're not running the game

Flagrated

Recruiter

06-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeculus View Post
Running a software isn't going to cause your computer to be like that. More likely is either malware or a hardware failure. I'd take it to an Apple store to check.

On a side note, the Mac LoL client is super inefficient and needs a high spec Mac to drive it well. Thus, most Airs encounter trouble running it well although this shouldn't cause your computer to be like that when you're not running the game
Ok. I've actually never encountered any problems playing League on it. It's actually really smooth and I get around 60 - 70 FPS, which isn't too bad. I was just wondering if it can cause any harm. It looks like it won't cause me any problems. Thank you!

Boomer0001

06-30-2014

More than likely the problem can be fixed by resetting PRAM. I'm a Certified Mac Tech and work on Macs daily and grey screen with logo is a common occurrence that can be fixed by PRAM reset. You may also try starting in safe boot (hold shift on boot) or Verbose (cmd + v at startup, should see black screen with text) to see if it is getting stuck somewhere on a driver.

PRAM : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?v...S&locale=en_US
Boot Keys : https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1533

You can also try a permissions repair via Recovery drive (OS X 10.7+) by holding Down Option, selecting the Recovery Drive or cmd + r, opening disk utility, selecting the HDD/SSD and clicking repair permissions. You may also "Verify Disk" to see if there are file system/physical drive issues occurring. I would NOT recommend ever doing a "Repair Disk" unless you know what you are doing.