Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I don't understand the starting philosophy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quil Evrything

06-19-2014

Quote:
Cat Eyed Liar:
People have been talking about adding more infrastructure to the tutorial process (ex. Gating levels by adding requirements to do certain tasks in games, like buying and using at least 5 Sight/Vision wards excluding your personal trinket, etc.) because too many newer players are getting into the higher levels and still struggling to learn what to build, what each champion does, and how gameflow works.

it would still either be lacking, or not make sense.

The main issue I see in that reguard, is that buying wards for Bot games, is pretty much a waste of money.
So, most people come into PvP viewing the for-gold wards, as a waste of money.
Contrariwise, if you NEEDED them for the current bots.. they would be too hard to play against!

Seems like there needs to be a pair of "advanced tutorial", "advanced bots" options, that should be added to the game.

Contrariwise... just get rid of the whole stupid annoying decaying gold-spendy ward mechanic, and give everyone free, non-expiring, but limited-count wards.
That would be my personal preference.

Cat Eyed Liar

06-19-2014

Riot already took a lot of time coding the Intermediate bot AI coding, which for a bot, is actually pretty good. They even sometimes gank, IIRC. I think bots that are any more advanced would be exponentially more difficult, because they would have to start emulating real human behavior, which is often based on the enemy player actively trying to predict your behavior and react accordingly, as opposed to an AI to keep pushing the lanes, with some constraints. At any rate, implementation of those bots would take a significant amount of time and resources. I also agree with more emphasis on establishing vision control with wards and objective control, but I feel like there's only so much you can learn from a tutorial before you need to just get in and play the game.

And I don't agree with a limited number of wards for the whole game. What if everyone runs out of wards because everyone bought Red Trinkets and are clearing them all? I like that Vision, like power and stats from items, needs to be bought and invested in.

Balareon

06-19-2014

Dude, youre seriously over thinking this. It's a game, just play and have fun. Don't worry if your team loses or not youre a beginner for crying out loud. No one knows what to do when they start the game, I'd never played a MoBA before this one, I just played and slowly learned by playing. Just calm down, don't worry, and play the game.

SeCKS Egai

06-19-2014

Quote:
scientious:
Ashe costs 450. I had 1340 IP but I played it again and now have 1465 IP. So, I suppose I could buy a champion. However, doesn't it seem kind of crazy to have to buy one before even doing the team play against bots? It doesn't make sense to me unless I'm missing something.

If you're this confused now, you might want to consider a different game.

There's far more to learn with plenty of intricate detail.

Don't get me wrong, The tutorial is outdated and provides little guidance, but there are a lot of advanced concepts you'll need to grasp that will never be covered in game.

Ultimately as far as summoner's rift goes your goal should be learning how to take out the enemy nexus and everything you need to do to work towards that goal - if that sounds vague - it's because it is.

ViktorHeartBreak

06-20-2014

You have to start from somewhere fellow summoner in league. We all start from the bottom & crawl our way up in the educational process of learning league. You will get the game in time. I promise you, I did.

Tahra

06-20-2014

I think it's best to buy the cheaper champions with the starter bundle. Pretty sure you can do that with a $5.00 game card -- or just save up the 450 IP for free and buy them 1 by 1. I'd at least get Ashe (and if you want to Jungle get Master Yi).

Neyak

06-20-2014

When I started, I had a pretty similar experience as you, OP. I was also startled when none of the "tutorial champs" were available in normal bot games. So after dodging my very first game (!!) and taking a deep breather I just picked one of the currently free champions who looked like fun (Leona) and just played her for a few games.

Then I had a next moment of panic when suddenly the free champions changed without a warning... (every Tuesday!)

Anyway don't worry! Before your next game, look at the champions that are currently free and their "difficulty" level (the purple bar on the champion summary that you get when you click on a portrait) and pick one with low difficulty. Then just play against bots with that champion and follow the recommended build. Look at the stats of those items, so you get a feel for what's important for your chosen champ, and maybe the second time build them in a different order, or browse the store (e.g. while you're dead -- what else are you going to do?).

Try out your champion's different skills in game and put points in the one you find most useful. The second time you play you will already have a rough idea where you're going and can even start planning ahead a little. Same with summoner spells. Pick what looks useful and try others next time round.

Don't worry about not doing well at first. You'll learn!

As time goes by, try out another champion (maybe you see other people, or even bots, use one where you're like, "wow, I want to shoot giant lasers across the map too", and then you try that one next time you can).

MurOllavan

06-20-2014

Wait until he sees Nami heal Brand with water.

OP, my only advice is to play AI v Bots for a bit and start PvP as soon as possible, no later than level 9 or 10. The learning curve is long, so don't worry too much about the first few months of being a newborn.

scientious

06-23-2014

Where is the description of the screen display and game controls?

Millea

06-23-2014

Not sure what you mean by that question. Could you be a bit more specific?