Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I don't understand the starting philosophy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

scientious

06-18-2014

I've gone through the Basic Tutorial and then played Battle Training: Summoner's Rift enough times to make it level 6 in spite of the extremely annoying text balloons. So now I guess I'm supposed to do team play versus bots. Except I've been playing Ashe and this character is not listed in the champion choices. I'm just not understanding this at all. Is there some way to practice without being in team play or am I supposed to just dive in cold turkey with an unknown champion and fumble through the learning process while everyone else on the team gets annoyed? Am I missing something or is this just kind of psychotic?

Isamichi

06-18-2014

mmm Ashe is only 450 IP. you should have somewhere around that amount to purchase her and use her for your games throughout.

However, there will be a time to learn new champs (and it's not far either). I recommend investing time to check out champs that interest you in the game and giving them a go when they become free.

Time Gambit

06-18-2014

I think custom games are available at your level. Hit the Custom tab instead of Co-op.

scientious

06-18-2014

Ashe costs 450. I had 1340 IP but I played it again and now have 1465 IP. So, I suppose I could buy a champion. However, doesn't it seem kind of crazy to have to buy one before even doing the team play against bots? It doesn't make sense to me unless I'm missing something.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

06-18-2014

Fumbling in bots is 100% acceptable. I mean, really, fumbling in PvP should be 100% as well. You're a brand new player. You're not going to know how to play that well yet, and that's fine. Six levels of Battle Training was massive overkill.

You can do custom games (filled with AI or just a 1v0 game) if you want, but you should feel comfortable going into a beginner Co-op game with a champion you've never played.

scientious

06-18-2014

Quote:
Time Gambit:
I think custom games are available at your level. Hit the Custom tab instead of Co-op.

Yes, I can select Custom Games. However, I don't see options for level or for bots. I'm not really looking to get into a 1 on 1 match against a more experienced player. I'm just trying to practice.

Time Gambit

06-18-2014

Quote:
scientious:
Yes, I can select Custom Games. However, I don't see options for level or for bots. I'm not really looking to get into a 1 on 1 match against a more experienced player. I'm just trying to practice.

Make your own. Add a bot by clicking "Add Bot".

You can't select levels, though.

scientious

06-18-2014

Quote:
OhBoyItsaMegaman:
Fumbling in bots is 100% acceptable. I mean, really, fumbling in PvP should be 100% as well. You're a brand new player. You're not going to know how to play that well yet, and that's fine.

That was not my experience when playing Demigod (which is similar).

Quote:
Six levels of Battle Training was massive overkill.

Again, the next option has not been obvious to me. Why are there only three characters in Battle Training but then they are not in Co-op vs AI?

Quote:
You can do custom games (filled with AI or just a 1v0 game) if you want, but you should feel comfortable going into a beginner Co-op game with a champion you've never played.

I don't see an option for 1 vs 0 or for AI.

scientious

06-18-2014

Quote:
Time Gambit:
Make your own. Add a bot by clicking "Add Bot".

I'm not seeing an Add Bot button. I can set Team Size to 1-5, Allow Spectators, and set Game Type. That's it.

Time Gambit

06-18-2014

Quote:
scientious:
I'm not seeing an Add Bot button. I can set Team Size to 1-5, Allow Spectators, and set Game Type. That's it.

You're still in the "I'm thinking about what kind of game I want to create" lobby. You need to actually make the game. Hit the "Make Game" button at the bottom or whatever it's called.