Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

LoL client for Linux/Unix?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hary585

06-18-2014

Hi there, hary585 here. Today I would like to bring up a topic that I (and probably many others) would like to see somewhere in the near future. That topic (as you may have guessed from the title) is League of Legends Client for Linux. I use Linux a lot, whether its Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, etc. and almost all the time, I'm finding myself having to continually boot my computer back into Windows just to play League; this frustrates me a lot. Riot, please make this a thing.

hary585

06-18-2014

Bump

uBetterWorkBlitz

06-18-2014

You can use WINE for the time being. Linux gaming is still at a low userbase so I'm pretty sure they're working on other things like the SR update for now.

FreakinUnoriginl

06-18-2014

There's also the fact that Adobe dropped support for AIR on Linux in 2009. Riot would have to develop a non-AIR version of the PvP.net client (patcher, store, queue, runes, etc; everything except the actual match). So IF we see that happen, then a Linux client might not be too far behind.

tleekett

06-19-2014

you can run air using playonlinux, so RIOT get on it.

FreakinUnoriginl

06-19-2014

Quote:
tleekett:
you can run air using playonlinux, so RIOT get on it.
PlayOnLinux is based on WINE, so Riot's not going to get on it. They didn't like sticking the Windows client in a wrapper for the first Mac client in 2010, so after going through the work to build a native Mac client I don't see them taking shortcuts for a Linux client, either. Acquiring a commercial license for WINE, or hiring a company that already has such a license (so that they don't have to share code under the GPL; the latter is what they did for the first Mac client) is another reason they wouldn't use it.

If you mean to just use PlayOnLinux for the PvP.net client reliant on AIR, you can't use it to launch a native Linux binary (because it will be executed by the Windows-interpreting layer). Furthermore, patching already has enough problems without also having to pretend it's in one filesystem but writing to another. And this still doesn't address the probable insistence on a commercial license (or the hiring of a third party that has one) which Riot already tried once and decided they'd rather invest in making their code cross-platform.

If Linux users would be happy with the Windows client in a wrapper, and haven't already figured out the tweaks on their own, then they should look for someone to do what Boompje did for Mac prior to the native client. If Riot sees a persistent, thriving Linux community then they might be more motivated to make things easier for them.

pvp squirrel

06-23-2014

ha even if they did linux you probably wouldnt wanna play it. On mac its better to boot into windows to play it... Oh and if you have an issue where the game crashes constantly making it almost unplayable... It will go into the stack, right after the new skins and champions that will be coming out...

uBetterWorkBlitz

06-23-2014

Quote:
pvp squirrel:
ha even if they did linux you probably wouldnt wanna play it. On mac its better to boot into windows to play it... Oh and if you have an issue where the game crashes constantly making it almost unplayable... It will go into the stack, right after the new skins and champions that will be coming out...

Well, that's what they said about Dota 2 going on Linux and it never really had that issue.

FreakinUnoriginl

06-23-2014

Quote:
pvp squirrel:
It will go into the stack, right after the new skins and champions that will be coming out...
Artists and game theory developers aren't going to try to fix networking or rendering bugs. Skins and designs implementing existing mechanics can be done independently from and parallel to engine work, and the people working on one probably don't have the skills to work on the other.

Kyu Ryu

10-03-2014

For the purpose on spreading useful information on playing league of legends on Linux. Can everyone that does so please have their clients set to auto join the chat call "Linux". No parenthesis of course. There are other reasons why this would be useful as well but I am not going into a long post now.