Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

New Jungle Nidalee

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AsphodelNext

06-18-2014

I'm hoping that with the new patch, I can finally do something I've wanted to do for a long time: jungle Nidalee. Because a cougar in the jungle just makes sense. Before, you just couldn't do it, cause cougar ranked at 6 and until that point, you were just some crazy cat lady running through the jungle. Now, she gets it at rank 1. Awesome.

My first guess at a build:
Hunter's and 5 -> Spirit(Wraith) and boots -> RoA -> Rab's -> Zhonya's -> GA
Something more assassin:
Hunter's and 5 -> Spirit(Wraith) and boots -> Lich Bane -> Rab's -> Zhonya's -> Void Staff

New Nidalee likes to jump into the middle of the fray. Extended leap, increased damage on hunted, spears worse etc. basically means you have to pick one person off on their team with a good spear or a trap, followed up by an all-in pounce swipe takedown. Range on leap isn't what I thought it would be, but a flash leap still covers plenty of distance.

So, you need some tankiness to survive, while still having enough AP to kill. My go to tanky item for AP is RoA, but maybe something like Rylai's or even Liandry's could work. Zhonya's might have to come before Rab's, and MR should really be somewhere in this, but it just doesn't quite fit.
Wraith spirit isn't my favorite, but it just seems to make the most sense. AD Nidalee isn't really a thing(I'm sure there are those who disagree, but I like my other 5 abilities), so Wriggles/Feral and Lizard are out. Golem could be a pretty nice option though, and then maybe the later item can be something less tanky than RoA.

Alternately, you could just go pure damage and try to assassinate with spear flash leap. But the leap is a bit slow for that, and swipe has a longer animation than I'd like. Also, there's no way you're getting out, it's pretty much a suicide run unless you've already killed like half the team. Plus, it relies on you hitting a nerfed thinner spear. Not that good.
Lich Bane, though, should be an option to consider all the time for more burst. I just can't figure out what to swap out for it, maybe boots.

My first try at this, I almost died to jungle creeps. She still has the base armor and health of an AP mage, I think. Even taking points in defensive, she still takes a load of damage, and nerfed heal doesn't help quite as much. Went blue>wolves>red>wraiths>golem, and almost died to red.

I ranked E > W > Q > max E, then Q, then W. Figure you probably need both the AOE's ASAP, but since cougar abilities don't rank anymore, I figure you want a nerfed heal over a nerfed spear. If you gank more though, you might want the spear. She really, really needs blue buff if you want to keep up sustain and use the passive. I had hopes they would set the trap limit on monsters higher, but cap 150 + 100=250 is still awesome.

To clear a camp: start as human, trap large creature, optional spear either large or small, heal if you need it, cougar, leap, swipe, takedown large creature, leap again.

tl;dr New Nidalee as jungle is awesome, but probably not OP since she's still got AP mage stats. Still fun though, and people probably won't flame you for a while.

Sephïroth

06-18-2014

It can happen, she still lacks CC though. Also, Rod of Ages is a terrible Jungle item, period. She'd be better served to get a Rylai's or something else altogether if she wants hp. Also, Jungle Nidalee has never been very mana hungry as her only spells to damage creeps were her E and her Q wasn't really worth using. Now she can go Cougar and jungle quite easily. She still lacks CC. She may make up for it in speed. We'll see. Honestly, trial and error will show us if this is worthwhile or not.

MadCast Demon

06-18-2014

AD Nidalee is a thing, though.

Zerglinglol

06-18-2014

Nidalee can definitely jungle now since she gets cougar at level 1, but as seph said she really has no CC to gank. But she does have some really good movement to come in on ganks. If you can land a spear or trap it should be a guaranteed kill or flash since you can catch up to them really fast.

Toge

06-18-2014

Lich bane isn't an item you want to rush in the jungle really. A rod of ages will do you much better

ShiroHigu

06-19-2014

Lack of CC hasn't stopped Shyvana from jungling. I definitely think jungle Nidalee could work now, even if she's not top tier.

AsphodelNext

06-19-2014

I like RoA. I've rushed it first on most of the tanky AP junglers I've played(Amumu, Cho'gath, Karthus that one time...) That said, Rylai's is probably better, since it gives you soft CC and all the stats right away. But building RoA has never caused me to lose a game, by itself, and it's probably about equivalent to Rylai's. I'm probably playing the jungle wrong with mana usage then, but I figured the Hunted debuff was worth getting, so all your abilities powered up. And the mage health/armor issue meant I was constantly healing.

Okay, maybe I was a bit hasty with saying AD Nidalee isn't a thing. If it was possible before, it's probably still just as possible now, and maybe more with the better leap. Iceborn was the only item I remember from that build(since it shows up as a big puddle), but I'm sure you could do some kind of tanky bruiser build, get in the middle of the enemy team, and dive the back line. I just figured usability increases on cougar would make an AP tanky burst better, and the logical next step for AP to go if spears are nerfed. AD's probably still viable though.