malady = LoL's sange yasha ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Purutzil

01-13-2010

Malady is extremely good. Not only is it super cost efficient, but it contributes to the team. A fast attack hero should get this item for sure such as Yi. The 30 extra damage helps you but also those around you as well who hit them.

zastrozzi

01-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
And Last Whisper benefits the entire team how? They're different items.
Not as different as you might think. The problem with Malady is that in most team games, whatever champ gets focus fired typically dies in about 5 or 6 seconds. Unless you have an attack speed greater then 1 per second, you aren't ever going to see max stacks of Malady in a team situation. Not to mention that it takes a lot more team cohesion then most pugs have to focus fire enough to deal considerable damage with Malady.

Really, it comes down to why you are buying it. You are right, Malady is a better team weapon then Last Whisper, but Stark's is a better team support item then Malady is any day. If you want a DPS boost, you should look at Last Whisper. If you are, for some reason, stacking life drain, I'd purchase Executioner's Calling instead, as it is cheaper and has the side effect of countering any life-draining champion who DOESN'T have it.

Give me an example of a Champ who would be better off with Malady then one of those three items and why. I'm anxious to hear if it is, in fact viable.

JunkRamen

01-13-2010

I'd only pick it up as someone like Teemo along with Black Cleaver if there's another carry on the team. I've never been very impressed with Malady.

Dr Gankenstein

01-14-2010

I thought that Trinity Force was LoL's SnY.

They both have + Damage, + Atk speed, + Move speed, +HP (SnY has strength points = HP), and a chance to slow... sounds pretty much like SnY.

The notable difference would be the damage bonus after casting a spell. But lots of heros do just fine with Sheen, and overinvest to complete the Tri-Force when they don't really need it. Similar to how many dota players invest too much into SnY when they really don't need it...

GENERAL NUTBAKED

01-14-2010

imo malady can be nice if you need both atk speed and lifesteal (yi, trynd, etc), and is good on maps like twisted treeline where you need items fast, but starks is a much better investment, as its just better, a huge boost for the team, and only a few hundred gold more.

oh and last whisper > malady, as if you really wanted to just drop an extra 420 for lifesteal and build it up to something later.

exec calling is situational. assess the healing potential of the enemy team first (i.e. is mundo on the opposing team? is said mundo good or a feeder?)

DreXxiN

01-14-2010

Sange Yasha should be like Phantasy Star Online..chance to proc instant death.

...I'm kidding.

MrSARS

01-14-2010

Last Whisper and Ex calling are better items for around the same price.

I play teemo a lot and I prefer to use last whisper and ex calling and any teemo that has malady against me gets raped a lot. I just don't see it as a useful item imo.

AFKray

01-14-2010

Malady is a very cost effective item and for some heroes provides exactly what they need, being insane early attack speed + life steal. Champs like Udyr or twitch benefit quite a lot in different ways from this item, Twitch being able to spread the debuff across a whole team while Udyr shines with the increased procs of Phoenix. It isn't a be-all-end-all, but in some scenarios there is hardly a better item in its cost range.

Heat n Serve

01-14-2010

I whole-heartedly agree with the OP.

It's an item meant for late game, not early game. People don't realize that base attack speed increases with level. Attack speed multiplier items, though cheap they may be, don't really increase the number of attacks per second of a champion until late game. Pure damage items are most effective early game. Also, pub teams are rarely coordinated enough to make use of the malady's debuff in team battles. The lifesteal it offers isn't significant unless you have damage items to back it up.

There are special case scenarios where it is useful: doing Nashor or dragon. This is because casters on your team have low autoattack damage, and Malady can help to buff that up and drop the monster sooner. Then again, stacking Black Cleaver debuffs can do the same thing. Another special case is Twitch, since if he positions Spray and Pray well, he can debuff the entire enemy team with it.

In response to the OP... I know that when I see our Ashe get Malady as her first item, I'm in for a rough game.

jermstuddog

01-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by zastrozzi View Post
Give me an example of a Champ who would be better off with Malady then one of those three items and why. I'm anxious to hear if it is, in fact viable.
Shaco can get 6 stacks of Malady in about 2 seconds with a clone, the attack speed and lifesteal help you push faster and keep your HP up so you are less gankable.

Also helps you kill dragon/baron faster when needed.

Yi and Twitch have been mentioned above. They can both crank their attack speed high enough by about level 12 to make it worthwhile, I would also put Tristana in this grouping. (For Twitch it is very good, but for Yi and Tristana it is a solid item, not really a must have. These 3 champions are grouped because they all have the weakest argument for it being good as any good DPS item is helped by having +100% attack speed.)

Mundo as he already hits for 200 by level 9 the only stats he is interested in are attack speed with a little bit of life steal. Malady fits right in there.

Warwick as he can achieve 6 stacks before his ult stun is over. But since Warwick sucks right now we won't really count him.

All other champions it is probably a bad buy.

Perfectly tailored for 5 champions is not bad IMO...

Definitely better than the Avarice Blade, which I see way too much of.