How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PyroVoid

03-01-2011

Nunu

Zer0Kage

03-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severred View Post
after reading through a significant portion of this thread, i have noticed that much of it is people complaining for one reason or another about something they disagree with. while constructive criticism is an integral part of what makes forums valid, this repetitive whining does not aid in the advancement of either the League of Legends game or community. primarily, an issue i have noticed is people who are annoyed with how champions are selected. randomizing choices would not change the picks that drastically, and champion rotations are for the most part very balanced. many people find issue with the frequency in which some champions are chosen, often or almost never. this is addressed at the beginning of the forum, where it states that champions with lower skill requirements are chosen more frequently than others. one post that comes to mind is one complaining about the frequency of ashe's selection, and the rarity of nidalee's. the reason for this, as the originator of the thread mentions, is the skill threshold. champions that require a large amount of skill will come up less frequently than easier champions, to avoid a player's lack of experience affecting the outcome of a game- everybody has been in a game that was lost because a player was not good enough with a champion, and this scenario is what Riot attempts to avoid. another issue some people have is how champions are not free to play at the advent of their release. while not in the beginning of the thread, the reasoning behind this is fairly simple. Riot is a business, with a game that revolves around microtransactions. they are therefore able to make more money by withholding a champion for a period of time after release- basic supply and demand. if somebody feels that this is just a gimmick to make money, they can avoid it by either waiting until the free to play week- truly not that long after release- or, seeing an upcoming release of a champion they are interested in, can save up IP for their purchase, which is not the most unenjoyable process in the world- it just entails playing league of legends :P.

despite the overall balance i feel that Riot achieves, some weeks there appear to be an imbalance in the chosen champion ratios. this week for instance- week 34- features 6 melee champions. while yes, there are more melee champions than ranged in this game, the current metagame is very difficult for melee champions to do well in. possibly this is influenced by the recent release of Maokai, a melee champion, but the simultaneous rotation of Malphite, who is similar in playstyle to maokai, seems somewhat redundant to me. i would be interested as to what others also though about this subject.

my apologies for the length of this post, it seems i can be a little wordy at times :P
Yeah this week has a lot of tanks or tanky type characters. Maokai, Malphite, Shen, and if you want to consider them as tanks, Taric, Trundle, Xin Zhao.

Riot's been pretty good with giving an even distribution of ranged dps, melee dps, tanks, and casters every week but this week was a bit off balance.

I personally played Free Champs until I saved up for Vladamir as my first purchase. It got me a good feel of what champs can do, teaching me the items and different play styles. Helps a ton when you face those champions later on or are on the same team as them!

lalalaugh

03-02-2011

so there is no pattern on how you choose the free champions weekly?
it would be better if you would allow 2 champions for each type to be free per week.
(i.e. for assassins: irelia and katarina; for tanks: maokai and alistar and so on)

Baconsack

03-02-2011

I would love for Twitch to be free sometime soon. I have only seen him free once while I've been playing, and that was the free champ weekend.I understand that twitch is a character that most do not like to be free, but i would like to try him out before I throw down 6300 IP on him. I would rather not spend the 6300 and then not like him.

richie364

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-02-2011

Just my 2 cents on the matter... Allow us to try more free champions when we play custom games like against bots etc. Also I'd like to see a greater choice of bot champions. Also higher bot intelligence, but I guess that takes a **** lot of work so I'm not too bothered about that, just let us have a wider variety vs bots!

HsG Deviant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-02-2011

I agree with Richie364. in Co-op Vs Ai I think we should be aloud to play (ALL) toons to see what we like the most. When it comes out that is

XINBONE

03-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulHope View Post
this is the only thing that i personally see as the only problem...

imo i think New/Upcoming Champs should always be free the week they are released
for the simple reason of balance...

i mean think about it, lets say udyr wasn't free the week he was released that means only a few who either had extra IP and or bought him with RP would have played him, and thus

=p
they they would not get paid for working on this game all the time its done this way so people can play a great interactive game for free!!!......... BUT SERIOUSLY FIX THE LEAVER PROBLEM WITHOUT BANNING PEOPLE!!!!

Pasty Muffin

03-03-2011

One thing I have noticed is the new champion is allways free when:

1) Another champion is released after it

2) Two week rotations after it's release.

Dr Feefman

03-03-2011

Hi, I'm twitch and what is weekly free champion rotation?

Park Ninja

03-03-2011

Free Karthus week = RAGE.

-.-

I like the current system, however I agree with some comments here that new champs should be free to play on release week. This could cause some potential problems though. People could get sick of the champ and then forget about it as a new champ comes out, reducing the revenue Riot gets from RP purchases of the champ. Also, when a new champ comes out, I see it almost every game the first few days, so making a new champ free would be really unfair to people who buy it or saved IP for it, and everyone would be trying to choose that champ.

I suggest that new champions be free for custom games for a few days, less than a week, so you could preview the new champs abilities and get a feel before you buy it.