How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Struck

02-27-2010

NEVER put TWITCH in rotation... he is way OP and it makes it impossible to enjoy a nice twitch free game.

dmatyrant

02-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachiuchia View Post
NEVER put TWITCH in rotation... he is way OP and it makes it impossible to enjoy a nice twitch free game.

well thats too bad i own and pwn with twitch so your gonna have to deal with people like me

Hu3y XD

03-03-2010

Thx for the info i was dieing for week 15 but since ur waiting i'll just own noobs with nin D

Kriptini

03-03-2010

Would love to try Evelynn. Mayhaps we have her in next week? =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale View Post
I personally was hoping there was a dart board involved :P

That would be a fun way to pick em
XD

Lordpilot

03-04-2010

Hey i think it is quite clever of Riot to NOT make a new champ free for the first week. Well alot ppl buy the champ the first week of release because they can't wait to see what they are made of. And c'mon it takes 7 hours to get 3000 IP, and not even. Well it is good businees because many buy, Boosts for fast IP or RP to get him ASAP! And that wouldn't be bad business.

If you make him free first week, there is a chance on BAD feedback, and it makes ppl not to buy him!
Simple

- Pilot!

Skeith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2010

The only bad thing that i see about new champions don't being free in the 1st week is that we won't be able to play Spider Queen for free. (She is coming out 1st April)

Giggz

03-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
Hello Chris, i like the way you've addressed the issue and how your telling us your open to feedback, in my personal experience most game Devs. couldn't give a rat's arse, here hoping LoL is any different. I suggest a system more or less like this; By the looks of it, you choose 2 Tanks, 2 Support, 2 Ranged dps, and 2 Melee dps. You would organise all of the champs, into one of these 4 catergories, and then each week randomly select 2 champions from each catorgory. Once champions have been selected they are removed from selection untill all of the champions(in the same catergory) have been selected, this way:

All of the champs are included.
Resulting in less "qq gief this champ, x and y are free champions all the time"

I feel this is more or less a solution to the problem at hand, and leaves everyone knowing that their champ will come eventually be it at the start or end of the cycle.

If catergories have odd number of champions, ie. ending up with 1 champion left and unable to pick 2(due to one being removed) This can be easily sorted by having the cycle to reset and picking the second champion from the reset cycle. for eg. Amumu is the last champion left in the tank catergory, The tank cycle resets, and Alistar is chosen, Alistar will be removed from the cycle however Amumu will not. I'm not sure if this is all that understandable, but i'm sure grasping the concepts could help the free champion rotation.

/Giggz

PS: I'm posting from Europe, so these are not my home forums, but i post every now and again to make some decent contribution to the game. Both sides of the pond.

KlRA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeith View Post
The only bad thing that i see about new champions don't being free in the 1st week is that we won't be able to play Spider Queen for free. (She is coming out 1st April)
Get ready fot the April fool's.

Sh03box

03-04-2010

ITT:

People who are too lazy to play the game and just grief the forums.

Gazardiel

03-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggz View Post
Hello Chris, i like the way you've addressed the issue and how your telling us your open to feedback, in my personal experience most game Devs. couldn't give a rat's arse, here hoping LoL is any different. I suggest a system more or less like this; By the looks of it, you choose 2 Tanks, 2 Support, 2 Ranged dps, and 2 Melee dps. You would organise all of the champs, into one of these 4 catergories, and then each week randomly select 2 champions from each catorgory. Once champions have been selected they are removed from selection untill all of the champions(in the same catergory) have been selected, this way:

All of the champs are included.
Resulting in less "qq gief this champ, x and y are free champions all the time"

I feel this is more or less a solution to the problem at hand, and leaves everyone knowing that their champ will come eventually be it at the start or end of the cycle.

If catergories have odd number of champions, ie. ending up with 1 champion left and unable to pick 2(due to one being removed) This can be easily sorted by having the cycle to reset and picking the second champion from the reset cycle. for eg. Amumu is the last champion left in the tank catergory, The tank cycle resets, and Alistar is chosen, Alistar will be removed from the cycle however Amumu will not. I'm not sure if this is all that understandable, but i'm sure grasping the concepts could help the free champion rotation.

/Giggz

PS: I'm posting from Europe, so these are not my home forums, but i post every now and again to make some decent contribution to the game. Both sides of the pond.
this is a good idea but it has one major fail point
what makes a champion a mage, or a tank.
i mean allistar can be build like a tank,or support or what ever you can think off.
the item build can change the role that a champions plays like.

i think the old ways are the best, the new champs are free as they are released (or with a little delay) players can sugest the champs they want and RIOT listens to them.

and if twitch is in the free rotation, then either dont play for a week, play twich as yourself, or hunt him whenever possible just harrase him.

and be glas that there is a free champ rotation, you can try out new champs every week, and if you have a fav save for him/her, its a game have fun there like 50 champs and one of them has to be someone you like.