How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DJonesy187

06-18-2014

Hey Chris,
Thanks for the explanation. I've always kind of wondered how they were chosen. One suggestion I might have is have a summoner voted champion in the rotation each week. Meaning let players go to a certain link that you guys post on the home page, and vote for the champ they want to be free for the next week. Just a thought.
Thanks.

Eeveefyre

06-22-2014

So, wait, is this like a simple each champion is given a random number and you use a number generator thing? I mean, that's always a good way to choose, say that you end up having a busy day/week/month/whatever

though, /since this is my first time posting something in this section, I don't know if this is already done/ It would be nice to have a heads up on what champions are chosen, even if its not stating When the next swap will be.. (or voting, voting sounds nice)

BluePickle

06-23-2014

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Sorry, grammar police. Please fix D:

FuryNotFurry

06-23-2014

When is Yorick being put back into the free week?

Fmnpc

06-23-2014

Can we like do most of the 6300 champs because the newbs never really get to play the 6300 champs and even if they buy one they still don't get to try them out before they buy them

GLAIVEZZZZ

06-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).
well, i've been watching the free weeks and 3 weeks after a new champ is released it is put into free week.

Nyroc1997

06-24-2014

Could Lulu be one of the free champions next week?

SarraDarling

06-24-2014

I love the champion rotation After reading this I just hope we get some less easy-to-play ones more often, since those are usually the ones I like better anyway

DeathsmurfXD

Recruiter

06-24-2014

I honestly think we should have more "harder" champions free. lets use Yi and Olaf for example, Lets say Yi is free for a week. People will think he's a cool champ and only really want to play HIM but lets say he/she actually wants a character like Olaf, but they wouldn't know what he's like without buying him you know? I defiantly don't buy characters who I haven't played so characters like Yorick or any other "rarely played" character don't get a chance to be played and/or bought

Pseudowolf69

06-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePickle View Post
Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Sorry, grammar police. Please fix D:
Nope, you're wrong, it was fine as it was.