How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Durzaka

04-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymousaur View Post
I haven't seen:

Poppy, Mundo, Evelynn, Singed, Sion, Tristana, Gragas, Kassadin, LeBlanc, Mordekaiser, Nidalee, Urgot, Galio, Maokai, Rumble, Swain, Yorick, Hecarim, Vi, Viktor, Zac, or Zilean.

Be F2P for months since I 1st started in November.

They are the only champions I have yet to try...

I didnt bother checking all of them, but Rumble hasnt been free since August of last year...

EpicTimeKiller

04-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer3423 View Post
I'm new but for some reason I can't play the free rotation champions. I can only play Ashe, Warwick,ryze,garren,and a few others. Why can't I use the free rotation champions?
From what I've heard, I think you have those champions until you reach level 6. That's when you can use the champions in free rotation.

superzeno128

04-22-2014

Don't you think it would be a little more pleasant if there wasn't an annoying champion (Jinx, Irelia, Aatrox, etc.) every week? No offense, it's a great system, but it means that if a player is up against a team with somebody (say, Fizz) than if they get fed its gg at 15? (that happened once, actually...) It also means that everybody is just going to aim for the same champion because they saw how over powered they are.

galaxyeyes23

04-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
Wont it be better if the harder champions are free to play to get the new people to understand that not all champions are easy?

Nuclear Pretzel

04-22-2014

So by this logic, Quinn needs to be played by EVERYONE before she wont be available every other week

MrBarrett50cal

04-22-2014

I think that you guys should also rotate the "Flavor of the Month" so that way players who are close to doing ranked can start going up against these types of champions to either be able to counter them or develop a new play style against them. Also you should have some more adc included so people who do not main adc can have access if the only free to play one gets picked (for example, I had to adc on my smurf account, I only had junglers, top laners, and supports, so I had to rely on the only free to play adc there was which was ez. Thankfully I knew how to play him so I was not a burden to my team). This of course is all my own opinion and there will be people who try to counter my ideas as they are entitled to their own opinions too, however you said you were looking for feedback, this is mine.

Hould12

04-22-2014

Ok, I have a question, why hasn't champions like Swain, Urgot, Yorick, and Galio been free? I would like to play some of these champions, but never get the chance unless I buy them.

RagingLight

04-22-2014

Glad Riot keeps us updated.

RagingLight

04-22-2014

Swain, Urgot,Yorick,and are probably not popular these days.

RagingLight

04-22-2014

Maybe those champions that arent released yet are too good or too bad.