How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Matezoide

04-07-2014

Hecarim hasnt been free for almost a year.

NoahLovesBri

04-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstriker View Post
is this a cool idea? Yes.
Would people abuse the hell out of this? Hell yes.
Is it REALLY easy to get enough IP to get 3 champions?... yep.
Everyone would just choose the three most OP champs in the game. (LeBlanc, Teemo, Nidalee)

pynewyork

04-07-2014

Honestly, I think that some champions should be in the rotation more often. some champions (even if they aren't easier to play) are on the rotation more often than others, who I find quite fun to play as. For example, I have not yet seen zilean on the champion rotation more than once.

killerbuzz123

04-07-2014

so sweet

Instaban

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Leo View Post
the pattern of the most picked champions in that week should be free to play on the next week.
inb4 Thresh, Teemo free every week

UltimateCryBaby

04-08-2014

yorick,Yorick...YORICK!!!
not sure ma spellin it right

Satimmy95

04-08-2014

Seriously, can we please have Yorick, Hecarim and Zac in the free champ rotation already?? Enough with the free Riven and Amumu mainstream **** already

OtakuDj

04-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
From time to time we get questions on how we chose weekly free champions. We rotate the Champions to keep the game fresh for those that haven't unlocked all the Champions.

Here is how we choose which ones are free:

Champion Rotation Goals
1) Give new players some simple Champions to play
2) Provide a balance of types of Champions for new players
-- This allows new players to make balanced teams
3) Allow players to preview all Champions eventually

Given these goals we look at player feedback, and decide which Champions should be free next week that allow us to meet these goals.

-------------------

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q Will new Champions always be free the first week?
A No, we will debut Champions that need to be unlocked, but eventually they will be free (see goal 3).

Q Will some Champions be free more often than others?
A Yes, because some Champions are simpler to play that others, and our first goal with the free Champion rotation is to allow new players simple Champions to try for their first games.

Q I don't think Alistar is a Tank
A Okay - not a question, but yes, thanks to our item system, Champions can be built different ways. That means many Champions can be played as different types (for example, as a Tank or Melee DPS). To keep things simple, we list only one type for each Champion in our statistics, but many of them can be played differently than the type we list.

Q Do the Champions rotate on the same day every week?
A No. We often synch the Champion rotation with the new content and patches we are releasing. Because we won't release the patches until they are done, this means they sometimes don't fall on the same day each week. This leads us to rotate our Champions on different days of the week to try and get even amounts of time between Champion rotations. This is also why we don't announce the exact date of the rotation.

I'll link to this post from the Champion rotation announcements to answer the questions that keep coming up. If there are more frequently asked questions, I'll post the answers here.

Thanks for all the requests for free Champions!

- RiotChris
You should give them to use 3500-6300 ip champs cause they can use the cheaps on like 1350 and 450

Errazzecka

04-08-2014

So... Yolo?

Byarlant

Recruiter

04-08-2014

can ezreal be free next week? he looks fun