How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Necrophilia

02-17-2014

Are the skin sales/champion sales random like the champion weeks?

LouisAtomic

Recruiter

02-17-2014

pete sauce

RebelliousKing

02-17-2014

When will Vel'Koz be released?

RebelliousKing

02-17-2014

I just want to know when will Vel'Koz be released?

Doyoulike4

02-18-2014

When will Viktor be on the free rotation again? He's a rarely played champion that interests me quite a bit.

Forlorn Flame

02-18-2014

Please ban free champions all matches but co-op and custom.

HollowxIchigo

02-18-2014

Heres from a thread I started awhile back I want to know some opinions on it.

Ok so I understand that the free champion rotation is the offer new players to try easy and recommended champions to learn. That being said in one of the recent patches new players will have a set of recommended champions that they can play along with the free champions of that week. I'm all for the idea of helping new players become better at the game. Now here is my story.

I've read multiple threads asking about if there is a certain pattern to free champs or if they're just random and I've come up with my own idea. I am open to advice, help, discussion, etc.

Keep the recommended champs for the new players
Keep these champs for the new players because it is a great idea and you know.

Voting on who we want to free champion to be
Now he me out because I'm sure this can cause plenty of problems. If every week Riot held a voting session on who people wanted for free champion week. That would provide people to be able to possibly play champs that they really want to learn or try in case if they want to buy instead of buying and wasting 1 of their 3 refunds. Now here are some pros and cons of the idea.
Pros
> Offers players to possibly test out champs that they really want to try.
> Makes champ rotation more diverse instead of having the same champions almost every week.
> Makes players want to equally spread out champs instead of playing the 'OP' champs constantly

Cons
> Players could vote on the same champion every week
> Not all champions might be used because of ^
> Players could vote for 'OP' champs every week and thus the rotation wont become fun
> If the above reason happens then that would start having people playing these champs all the time instead of learning new roles and each champ.

Now lets take a look at how we can fix some of these problems.

The first one I want to address is the fact that players can vote for the same champion multiple weeks in a row. Well my solution for that is once a champion is picked for a week make it to where you can't vote for that champion for maybe the next 2 or 3 weeks. Now that also means that 10 champions will be out of the rotation for (lets go with 2) 2 weeks. That means there are 107 champions left the pick out for the rotation for the next 2 weeks. That being said the next week there will 20 champions that we won't be able to vote for. So at most there will be 20 champions we can't vote for a week that leaves 97 champions at a time. So the number of weeks that we can't vote for a certain champion can be increased if need be. This also helps the problem of some champions never being seen in the rotation if we increase the weeks of champions to not be voted for.

Another problem is the category of champions. We have 10 free champions on each week and they are spread out through skill requirement. So instead of every week we get champs that are complicated, op, used often, etc... there will be 3 groups of votes say something like this

2 'Heroic' champs (450 ip)
3 'Epic' Champions (1350 ip)
2 'Legendary' champs (3150 ip)
2 'Legendary' champs (4800 ip)
1' Legendary' champ (6300 ip)

Or other options this is just what came to mind. These categories could be switched like say instead of listing them as Heroic or Epic change the categories to maybe Assassin or Marksman etc.

I am open to discussion, feedback, opinions, or if you guys think of any problems or anything please let me know this is just an idea I was thinking of.

Leeber

02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowxIchigo View Post
2 'Heroic' champs (450 ip)
3 'Epic' Champions (1350 ip)
2 'Legendary' champs (3150 ip)
2 'Legendary' champs (4800 ip)
1' Legendary' champ (6300 ip)
While you've got a great suggestion, and personally I'd love this, you cited a common misconception. The IP/RP prices of champions are based on RELEASE DATE, not some 'tier' of champion.

HollowxIchigo

02-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeber View Post
While you've got a great suggestion, and personally I'd love this, you cited a common misconception. The IP/RP prices of champions are based on RELEASE DATE, not some 'tier' of champion.
Sorry I was looking at the tier groups on LoLwiki haha but thanks

Cheimerine

02-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeber View Post
How does that work? I just started playing LoL three days ago, and I couldn't find any pattern to the pricing (although admittedly I thought I might have been missing something obvious to a veteran player).